“Less than expected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
chicago
“Less than expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

I booked a spa getaway package for my sister and I and we both ended up getting sick...we suspect from the lack of cleanliness in the hotel and spa. The hotel lobby is nice enough, and the staff very friendly, but there is a level of dirtiness throughout the entire place. The room heating system is ancient and left us either freezing or boiling. One of the chairs in the room had the bottom fabric ripped and hanging from it. (I finished ripping it off because it looked horrible). The shower massage head was broken, and housekeeping didn't bring us coffee or coffee cups one day even though there is a coffee maker. The elevators and the hallways always smelled of something unpleasant, stale food, booze, mostly smoke from the hidiously smokey disco downstairs. The spa was in need of a serious face lift. The services were good, but the steam room and eucalyptus room had mold and mildew in the grout, the roman shower door was falling off and the shower didn't function properly. Of the hot/cold pools only the hot was filled and the cold was left with an inch of dirty disgusting water with stuff floating in it. Tiles were falling off the walls and the women's whirlpool, well, I sure as heck wasn't going in it! I never saw anyone cleaning anything ever... It was not a soothing "spa" experience at all. We both arrived healthy on a Thursday and by Sunday left with fevers and coughs and sore throats. And we both came in from different states....so we didn't get it before we got there. I would NOT go back to this resort. Not even all of the ammenities were available as promised via the internet....one bar was just closed, one snack and sandwich place was supposed to be open(but never was), the "stores" had dwindled down to one shop with a few samplings of over priced shirts and knick knacks. This was a birthday gift to my sister and I feel cheated. I do not reccommend this hotel!

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

My wife and I were glad we decided on the Olympia Resort for our wedding and weekend celebration on October 5th & 6th. We could not have asked for a better weekend and were catered to by the Resort staff beyond our expectation. This was a great choice for an outdoor wedding and the Gazebo is located in a picturesque area of the resort grounds. This facility is spread out and you don't get the feeling of being cramped. The food for the reception was great along with the breakfast buffet at Rick's Cafe. The facility has gone through periodic upgrades to some areas that needed attention and will continue to make enhancements. Rooms were nice and roomy and the pool areas were clean. We did not make it to the Spa but from what I understand; there are a host of services provided.

There were a couple of our guests that had to deal with some late night partying from some other noisy travelers/guests. With any Resort/Hotel however; you have to put up with various guests were common sense isn't so common. If you look hard enough with any Resort/Hotel you can find something negative about it. As for us, we will be back for another stay at the Olympia Resort.

• Liked — Great location and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing really stands out.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

A group of us booked a spa weekend at the Olympia Resort and it was a nightmare. A wedding party (with many extended party members) was allowed to go out of control in their block of rooms with no effort made by the property to protect other guests. Shouting in the halls, loud music and slamming doors continued until after 4 AM, when the local police came to evict the guests. And then the resort would not compensate or address the concerns of occupants who lost an entire night's sleep. Service in the dining room was spotty (on Friday evening, we couldn't even get a glass of water -- thank goodness it was a buffet or we would have starved!), the rooms were "tired" and need cleaning and updating, and spa services were deemed "less than average" by members of our group -- although the spa staff is very pleasant. I know that any hotel/resort can have an unfortunate incident, but it's the way they handle it that sets them apart. Clearly, Olympia Resort is not focused on guest satisfaction -- or return visits!

• Liked — The prime rib dinner on Saturday
  • Disliked — Lack of security and concern for guests
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Oconomowoc hotels

SW Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

Not worth $92 a night. Stayed here one night for a convention. Not clean. Bathroom in Rm 256 exhaust fan long broken and just absolutely filthy fan -all black and clogged with dirt. Wallpaper in bathroom beginning to peel from top of bathroom wall. 6 spots of mildew /black mold in grout about 1/2" to 1" size. Begining to rust the metal ceiling bars that hold the tile up. Very dusty baseboard area, just almost white should be green carpeting. Convention Expo area sprung leak (must have been a pipe) as it was sunny outside - fortunely we caught in time no damage to tables of items for sale in Expo area. Only 1 luggage cart available, although staff claims there are many. I seen one to get stuff to my room when I arrived and I begged one from people who had one 1/2 loaded but not using it in the hallway - after searching the hallways for 20 minutes- when I checked out. The onsite Resturant did have good service and good food. This actually is a great improvement from the previous stay for same convention 2 or 3 years ago, when the toilet didn't work and the heater/airconditioner unit didn't either. They need to continue to upgrade this old facilty. Lobby looks great.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maumee, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

This resort has been rennovated to quite an extent since my last visit two years ago. The staff, while busy when I arrived, were very nice, friendly, and professional. The exercise room area had been totally redone, and that was a plus for me, as I work out quite a bit. Next time I will bring my family....they would love the pool and spa. The meeting room was a short distance away from the front desk, and everything was in order. I would recommend it to either business or family.

• Liked — Service, meeting rooms, rooms, restaurtants.
  • Disliked — Distance from one room to the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

I stayed here for one night with a friend for a girls' spa getaway. This hotel is so outdated...we felt like we were in a timewarp back to the 80's. They even played bad 80's music in the restaurant. The whole place need to be renovated. Also, the public areas like the hallways, elevators and pool were dirty. We were given resort dollars to use, and also a coupon to use in the spa. We couldn't figure out why we had to physically give them the coupon--they made us go back to our room and get it even though they knew we had it. I had a 30 minute massage, which was ok. My friend had the same service, and didn't really enjoy it. One of the whirlpools in the spa was cold--don't know if that was supposed to happen? The room was adequate and clean, though. The water pressure in the shower fluctuated.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

I went there with a group from Chicago. When we arrived the front desk was overwhelmed because there was more than one group checking in.

We were given SPA coupons in our packets used them. We were later told that we had not paid for our services (we were interrupted at dinner!).

When we arrived, the whirlpool, sauna and a couple of other rooms were out of order.

They were totally booked for spa services.

The food was dreadful. Everything was buffet in the "Steakhouse" and it was warm not hot. Service was not that great. We had to ask for things such as soda/coffee several times before we got them.

It was my first spa experience and I won't be going back there again.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The service, the spa, the food.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!