“J & J BBQ Nelson WI is Worth the drive !!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Wabasha, Minnesota
“J & J BBQ Nelson WI is Worth the drive !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stopped in Nelson at J&J BBQ on 2-26 to inquire about their ribs & whether they smoke their own ribs or bought them. The owner quickly assured me that his smoker was on-site and he personally did them, that day. Nice couple that run it, very reasonable prices. Kind of a trinket/general store atmosphere too with tons of odds and ends for sale too.

I took a chance, being that I consider myself the best cook of ribs and briskett I know. After living in KC for 4 years I had to learn how to bbq myself after moving back up north because we just don't get real bbq up here.....I was pleasantly surprised with the 2 racks of ribs we brought home. They were "fall off the bone" GOOD. Excellent flavoring and over all I would say I will be back again & again & again .......so long as they stay consistant. $18 for a rack includes 2 sides, very filling !!

The sides of .......fries - portion was good, fries were good.
........Coleslaw - Really small container (to go) but tasty
........Beans -Really small container (to go) but tasty

It won't be neccesarry for me to spend half a day to have ribs now that I have this place just across the river.

Visited February 2012

Midwest
“A Great Find in Nelson, WI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We've driven through Nelson, WI many times but we never drove a block off the main highway until we found out about J&J BBQ and General Store. It's full of memorabilia, all for sale but the highlight is the BBQ. We had the rib special for lunch and we thought it was fantastic. The coleslaw was excellent. We stopped again on our return home and bought a full rack of ribs to bring back home. We were given a large container of their homemade barbecue sauce which is also some of the best we've had. They have hand-scooped ice cream as well.

There is limited seating since the establishment is so small and no matter where you sit, you'll be surrounded by antiques and collectibles. We'll have to go back and try the brisket next time we're in the area.

They are not open everyday so be sure to check the website for hours.

• Visited September 2011