“Would Not Recommend for Weddings or Other Events” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah

You added Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah to your Saves list
Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 E Wisconsin Ave, Neenah, WI 54956 (Formerly Holiday Inn Neenah)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Neenah
Greenville, Wisconsin
“Would Not Recommend for Weddings or Other Events”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk in Neenah and we were very disappointed. The hotel itself was fine; we have no complaints about our room and we received good feedback about the food during our reception. The hotel is in a nice location, there is an on-sight bar and restaurant and a complimentary guest room is included for the bride and groom. However, that is where the pleasantries stop. We were shocked at how we were treated by the event coordinator, Alison, when we arrived to our reception. We were 20 minutes late and we did not receive a "welcome" or "thank you" or even an inquiry as to why we were late. We were abruptly told that because we were late, our food quality had been compromised and we did not have time to be introduced to our guests. We were told to "go in and sit down so grandma can do the prayer". During the reception, the service was very poor (except for the male bartender, who was excellent). Guests complained that it took very long to get their food, water was never refilled and the staff was unfriendly. Our reserved tables were not marked so my husbands mom, sister and grandparents had to sit in the back of the room. We paid for 4 bottles of wine to be served to our reserved tables and they were never served. After the cake was cut, we did not see or hear from anyone from the Holiday Inn staff. No one bothered to ask us how things were going or if we needed anything. We had to ask 3 times for tables to be moved so we can have our grand march. When I emailed Alison my list of complaints and requested a refund for the 4 bottles of wine, she merely responded by saying my comments had been forwarded to the general manager. It has been over a week and I have not been contacted by anyone.

As I stated in my email to the event coordinator, they should be less concerned with how their food represents the hotel and more concerned with how their staff represent the hotel. We were shocked and disappointed with how we were treated on our special day (that we paid a great deal for) and we felt totally disregarded by the hotel staff. We would certainly not recommend the Holiday Inn to anyone who is looking for a wedding venue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Abby H,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Let's face it, if you're looking for a hotel in Neenah, Wisconsin, the options are thin. Very thin. The Holiday Inn has a rich history of mediocrity. Built on the site of the "Valley Inn," a venerable, early 1900s, Mediterranean styled "grand hotel," a local developer razed this strcture and in its place, built the Fox Valley Inn, a striking example of hospitality ordinariness. It is this structure that was sold to Holiday Inn and serves as the "bones" of the current hotel.

So Holiday Inn buys the Fox Valley Inn, remodels the lobby (sort of) and replaces the mattresses. Voila... a Holiday Inn! But the rooms and general ambiance remain the same. Super small rooms, windows glued shut, plastic glasses wrapped in cellophane, no closet, self-service bellman assistance... you get the general idea.

The only thing that saves the place is the location. It's directly across the street from two office towers -- home to various divisions of Kimberly Clark and other local businesses. So, occupancy is surprisingly high. How else would you explain that fact? I'm just grateful that I don't have a job that would require me to stay in hotels like this on a regular basis.

Okay, the staff was friendly and upbeat. But it must be difficult to engender employee pride and loyalty when the workplace is so soul-less. You gotta credit Holiday Inn for that, right?

Room Tip: Honestly, there aren't any "better" rooms here. They're all cookie-cutter ordinar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Freddyt64,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were pleased to see your high scores for the Service and Value. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a great hotel, yea the hot tub was out of order, but everything else was great. Housekeeping was super and left me little treats. Love it. Super pretty and the staff was very helpful. I will be going back, for all Packer games.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Westwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed for one night. The staff during my check in and out were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant serves good breakfast at reasonable price. The hotel really needs some updating. Looks like no money has been spent in recent years to update the facility, which is a pity.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
We appreciate your loyalty and helping us to make this a great hotel, guests love! We strive to provide exceptional customer service to all guests in all departments of the hotel. Our goal is to make your experience feel like home. We appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with our entire team! We are continually making product updates. Last year was focused on updating our meeting & event space. This year we will be replacing our hallway carpeting on our guest floors, as well as many other smaller improvements. Thank you for sharing your insights, we look forward to your next stay with us!
Traverse city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the HI Neenah for two nights for a wedding. the front desk staff was friendly and helpful, they got us a microwave for warming baby bottles at no charge. The room was nicely redone,the hallway cooridors needed some attention, there were a lot of big stained spots that looked gross. We went to Remingtons for breakfast one morning, the staff was friendly and the food was good. Our bartender at the sports bar on friday night was friendly and chatted with us as we were the only ones in there that night.
I debated on giving an average rating because of our experience with housekeeping. We are pretty low maintenance travelers, usually have our Do Not Disturb on the door if we are only staying a day or two and will get ahold of housekeeping if we need anything. We had it out and were not disturbed in the morning. Our baby was crabby in the late morning early afternoon. My wife had just gotten her to take a nap while i went to the wedding. Housekeeping called to make sure that we didnt need anything because we had the DND on, this of course woke up the baby. I get that they were trying to make sure we didnt need anything before they went home, and i get how inconvenient it is to have housekeeping cleaning in the afternoon after the staff goes home, we simply didnt need anything and werent expecting a call.

Room Tip: The elevators are really loud, the doors bang when they open.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness of your comments. You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel & staff; we truly have an extraordinary team! We strive to provide exceptional customer service, cleanliness, value and a well cared for product. We are currently in the process of replacing the hallway carpeting. Please accept my sincere apologies for late phone call. As a mother I understand the inconvenience. Please know we have made appropriate corrections to prevent an unpleasant experience for future guests. Thank you for sharing your concerns or insights, please know that I will take them seriously and 'to heart'.
Laura D.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in July for four days and had an excellent time. Hotel location is good. It's within walking distance to the town historic area with restaurants and shops and overlooks the water and a small park. The service was impeccable! Our maid even left the kids paper airplanes, candy and little toys (thanks, Sherry). While its not the newest hotel, it was very clean. The pool and hot tub are big and well kept. An especially good place to stay during AirVenture.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel and community. We care a lot about our hotel. The staff & management strive for excellence in not just providing service but a personalized experience for all our guests to make you feel at home. Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness and time to share your comments. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I just needed a few hours of sleep. Unfortunately room was right outside of elevators, but there was other unidentified banging outside the room. The bed was divine...but as I struggled to sleep I noticed how dated the rest of the room was-water damage on the wall and ceiling-I suppose this really does not matter, but the rating of the hotel I believe is a bit stretched. I stayed at a discount through employer-but I still feel that the $90 something was not well spent, I left after less than 4 hours-was offerred a new room to come back to-but really I just wanted my $$ back. I feel duped after reading all of the great reviews-I almost wonder if a discounted room gives you the leftover/undesirable room to leave better open for someone paying full price?

Room Tip: NOT by elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and concerns of noise. I have imagined how I would feel had a similar experience for me or my family; and, I share your immense disappointment. Please accept my sincere apologies for an unpleasant memory and a less-than-satisfactory experience. We recognize the importance of your business to our reputation; and, we are committed to making our guest visits exceptional--anything less is intolerable.
Thank you for sharing your concerns or insights, please know that I will take them seriously and 'to heart'. Lastly I would like the opportunity to make it right. Please contact me directly at any time at 920-725-8441 x 226

Been to Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah? Share your experiences!