“woke up with bed bug bites” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Neenah
Austin, Texas
“woke up with bed bug bites”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel and grounds are impeccible. The problem was I woke up with bed bug bites. After working in the hotel industry for many years, corporations do not get this right. Employees are not educated to what a bed bug is, what it looks like, the percentage of people who are allergic the the bites etc, what a bite looks like.

Holiday Inn, use the proper protocal from you pco, and educate your employees. Spend the money on treatments to control these incests. I will not return to a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
vdaugharty, General Manager at Holiday Inn Neenah, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear kellygirl

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your stay in August. We received your review this morning, and were so sorry to read about your bites.

Please know that the Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk does hold itself to impeccable standards of cleanliness and service; and, we respond immediately to all reports of guestroom contamination, insect or otherwise.

As hospitality professionals, like you, our management team has over 75 years of combined industry experience, including extensive corporate training on the topic bed bugs and bed bug remediation. Additionally, Holiday Inn room attendants and maintenance engineers receive the same training as our managers.

While many people are quick to diagnose skin blemishes as insect bites, a true bed bug bite is painless. The skin reacts similarly to a mosquito bite making it very difficult to diagnose. Overall, approximately 20% of humans display an allergic response (in the form of an itchy red bump). An allergic reaction to a bed bug bite can be seen in as little as a few hours or up to two weeks after exposure.

Working closely with a professional pest control service, our trained personnel conduct proactive daily, monthly, and quarterly inspections (including canine scent inspection which is approximately 90% accurate in detecting bed bugs). Our most recent routine canine inspection was performed by Wil-Kil Pest Control on 9.21.11.

Bed bug infestation does not mean the hotel is unsanitary or the current pest control company is not properly doing their job. This growing epidemic can affect any hotel at anytime. Bed bugs travel from place to place by hitching rides on items such as suitcases and soft goods.

Typically, bed bugs are brought into a hotel by a guest. The guest usually has no ideas he or she is transporting the bugs. Bed bugs usually hide in small, dark areas of luggage. When the guest stays in the room, the bugs transfer from their luggage and clothing into the hotel’s bed, carpeting, and fixtures.

When I travel for business or with my own children and loved ones, I have found it increasingly difficult to stay anywhere that has not had some exposure to bed bugs, lice, fleas, or some type of contamination. As a result, it is more important for my own family to stay somewhere, like the Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk, that has a proactive inspection plan for early detection and corporate guidelines for safe and complete removal of pests.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your insights and for helping us make a great hotel, guests love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Hi Dawn (Mgr of Catering and Event Services)

Just a note to tell you that our Reunion was a HUGE SUCCESS and went off without a hitch and that you and your staff were really nice to work with. Thank you, thank you!!

Also, that the food was really good. Everyone we asked told us so.

And, I'm glad we had that 3rd bartender. Despite being well into Geezerhood, our Class still does their fair share of toasting. I noticed quite a bit of tip $ in their jars, so I hope the bartenders were happy.

There were also a lot of great comments concerning the quality of the DVD–testament not only to Peggy's work making it but also to the lighting and projection conditions.

We would highly recommend any who asked to have their function with you.

Please, can you confirm that we are totally paid up with you or not.

Thanks,

Mike

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
vdaugharty, General Manager at Holiday Inn Neenah, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Hello Mike,
Dawn and I are pleased your reunion was a success. Thank you for your compliments and for taking such good care of our bartenders. Your bill is settled; and, we look forward to working with your group on future events.

Best Regards,
hilbert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Our daughter's wedding reception was held at Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk. Every thing was perfect. Every member of the staff was polite and courteous. The food was perfect. I would HIGHLY recommend Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk for a wedding reception or any other gathering. We also stayed in the hotel the night of the wedding. The room was clean and comfortable. Dawn & Tim were very helpful and took care of everything. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
vdaugharty, General Manager at Holiday Inn Neenah, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
We appreciate your kind words; and, we thank you for allowing us to be a part of your family's "perfect day". Dawn and Tim both let me know how much they enjoyed working with you. Thank you for allowing us to serve--we hope to see you again soon!

Best Wishes,
Vince
Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I just want to compliment your staff on the EXCELLENT customer service they provide. I cannot express what a wonderful experience it has been working with your staff on all levels. Our daughter's wedding reception was held this past Saturday (June 25, 2011) at your hotel and I could not ask for a better staff to help us. I have received phone calls from our guests how pleasant everyone was and so helpful, asking what they could do to make their stay better, anything they needed, etc.

Tim was over the banquet room that night and the next morning and he is the most pleasant young man. He was there for any question I had or anything I/anyone needed.

Dawn helped with the planning and set-up. She was SUPER. I had never planned a wedding before and she was there to answer all my questions, even the littlest thing was taken care of. She had pictures from previous weddings and even gave us the name of the decorator so we could have the ceiling decorations and the pillars decorated with lights. She made sure we had refrigerator space for the cheese cake which was served for dessert, just everything was great.

The food was excellent. I have had so many compliments on the chicken Senese and the garlic mashed potatoes. One lady said she usually doesn't eat a lot of potatoes and she took seconds.

The cleaning staff in the morning were so friendly. Usually they do not say a word to you at other hotels and the staff at your hotel said good morning and had smiles and it was just a pleasant stay.

Again I just want to compliment your staff. I would never hesitate to plan another function at your hotel. Thank you for helping to make our daughter's wedding a very pleasant and memorable experience.

Marilyn Gunz

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
vdaugharty, General Manager at Holiday Inn Neenah, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear Marilyn,

Thank you for the kind recognition of our staff and hotel. A wedding is one of the most important events we host –and we will always remember your family fondly for allowing us to be a part of such a special day. On behalf of Tim, Dawn, our chefs , our housekeepers, and our entire team—working with you was our pleasure. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011 via mobile

Great room for the price, and the pool is open 24 hours!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you! Many people do not realize that we are one of the few remaining hotels in Wisconsin, and the only hotel in Neenah, with a 24 Hour indoor pool, whirlpool, and fitness center.

Best Regards,
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I loved this place! We were worried because there had been bad reviews in the past, but they have done a lot remodeling and cleaning up in the last couple years. The whole hotel is very nice and inviting. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great! My only complaint was that there was no fridge or microwave. The pool and hot tub are just the right temps, very clean, and open 24 hours! We have breakfast, room service style and it was fabulous. The staff is very nice, and not at all intrusive. The location is awesome!! Walking distance in one direction is the river and some great parks. The other direction, also walking distance are great restaurants and cute shops. And it's a short drive to Appleton. The area is very nice. We had an awesome relaxing weekend and will be doing it again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for acknowledging our many improvements and the hard work of our new team. Like you, we enjoy this area and the community. You really cannot find a location like this anywhere else in the Fox Cities. Also, thank you for your insight into the availability of refrigerators and microwaves—I enjoy these when I travel, too. Currently, they are standard in 1/3 of our rooms, but we can also deliver them to any guestroom. The next time you visit, we’ll bring one to you; and, we will make a note in the computer to have one in your room every time you’re here. I look forward to meeting you during your next visit.

Warmest Regard,
Rochester NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for 9 weeks since Jan 2011 for business and for occassional weeks during 2010. This hotel is somewhat dated but the people, service, and location more than make up for it.
The beds are very comfortable, they have duvets and pillow choices. The heating unit can be annoying but I learned to keep the room on the cool side and it doesn't turn on as much. Some rooms have refrigerators or refrig/microwave combos. The maids are friendly and always leave me notes asking if I need anything. I like the big flat screen TV and the channel selection is great.
The people in this hotel, front desk staff, bar, restaurant, general manager are so friendly and very helpful with any request. In fact, because of my extended stays and the many floral arrangements delivered to my room courtesy of my husband. The HOTEL gave me a floral arrangement on my last stay because they know how much I like flowers. Vince, the GM, went out of his way for a colleague who had a lost delivery in the mail and tracked it down for him over the next few days so that his lost Valentine card sent by his wife could be located.
The location is nice, there are a few restaurants within walking distance, some small shops, a book store, banks, an ice cream store, a deli, and a Great Harvest Bread. Cannovas and Zaccatecas are two of my favorites restaurants. The walk to Lake Winnebago and around the parks is very nice in the summer. Appleton is just a 10 minute drive where the airport, mall, and many chain restaurants.
The hotel bar has free popcorn and happy hour specials. On Mondays and Wednesdays there is a managers reception. The filet mignon at the hotel restaurant is one of the best in the area. The bar is a sports bar so there are many TVs, a dart game, and juke box for entertainment.
The pool and hot tub are nice although I have only used them once. The fitness room is small but has treadmill, eliptical, some weights, a bike and a TV.
The hotel has made my time away from home more bearable and have made it as much like home as it can be.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
We truly loved having you stay with us--thank you for helping our team be its best; and, thank you for helping us make a great hotel, guests love. We are truly blown away by the thoughtfullness and completeness of your review.

Warmest Regards,
Vince Daugharty

Been to Holiday Inn Neenah? Share your experiences!