“1 very good, 1 not so good” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, International, Eclectic
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“1 very good, 1 not so good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I went to Heaven City on a week night for a quick dinner, we have been here many, many times over the years. This was the first time my meal was not very good, actually it was just plain bad. We had a 2 drinks @ the bar first, wonderful bar room, very nice, good bartender. We were seated in the main dining room, the others appeared to be closed, not very busy that night.
For starter we had the shrimp dish, which was wonderful, hot and full of good flavors. The beef barley soup was good, hot, nice chucks of beef, nice serving. I ordered the duck trio this was the bad dish, 2 of the 3 choices of duck were bad, the duck leg was so burnt it was black, I could not break the skin with a knife and fork, the duck sausage was cold, not cool but cold. The duck breast was great. My wife's fillet oscar was top notch, perfectly cooked, plenty of crab, this is the way all other meals have been over the years.
I let the server know and see how bad my meal was, she was very good, she appoligized and took the meal back to show the chef. She wanted to take it off the bill right away, I told her, no, I don't want that, that's not why I told her. She took the shrimp off anyhow and said she was sorry again. Both the server and the bartender worked their butts off while we were there, while it was not packed, sevral tables of 4 came in while we were there, all in about 5 minutes time. They worked together and did a nice job. While 1 meal was bad, it does not change my opinion of this restaurant, which has alwas been very good over the years. Plus I don't know what else they could have done to try and make it right. I will go back and give them another try very soon. I think you would really enjoy the place, nice little drive there, right down ES
They did change the menu a little also from our last visit, they were also running St. Pat's specials which we did not try but all sounded intresting and good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Nashotah, Wisconsin
“Beautiful building, but . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The building and rooms are beautiful, unfortunately, the food is not what it once was. I ate the salmon - which was flavorless. My husband and daughters were similarly disappointed with their meals. Every couple months we go back to give it "one more try", but it never goes well. We have such fond memories from the past.

Visited February 2013
Burlington, Wisconsin
“A Tapas Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We've visited this restaurant quite a few times over the last several years and have always had an excellent experience, until last night. As we were celebrating our 35th anniversary, we decided to have dinner here, always one of our favorite places. My wife suffers from celiac disease, and she always asks the server which items are safe for her to eat (i.e. are gluten-free). In the past, there have always been several items on the tapas menu that were ok or that the chef could modify in some way. When the server returned, only about 4 items of the 20+ on the menu were marked, severely limiting what she could order. One was the "Wisconsin Cheese Bread". We questioned that one and the server went to double-check. He came back and said the chef had made a mistake. If my wife had ordered that and eaten it, the chef's "mistake" would have made her extremely ill. In any case, she was limited to having shrimp scampi (4 shrimp) as her entire meal. The 2 items I ordered, baked brie and a small filet, were fine. On a minor note, we thought 12 dollars apiece for martinis was a little steep, given their size. Overall, the service was good, but the server didn't seem to be very well-informed about the menu or the issue of gluten-intolerance. Our negative impression was primarily because, compared to other meals we've had here, this was definitely not up to the standards we've come to expect. As accomodating as they've been in the past, on this night it was kind of like "This is what we have-take it or leave it."

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Fantastic Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had restaurant.com gift certificate so we decided to try out this place. It is hidden behind a bar called Its not heaven. lol. The decor is authentic 40's bungalow with heavy timber, a beautiful fireplace, linen table cloths and silverware that is not wrapped up in your napkin. I had the Filet Oscar which was very good but I didn't like the blend of flavors, the garlic mashed potatoes overpowered the asparagus and hollandaise sauce. My husband had the fish fry with wild rice. It was nice but nothing special. Our only complaint was the way the soup was offered, they charged an extra $4 above the $38 for the Filet Oscar and did not mention it was extra. It was the best tasting chicken noodle soup I've ever had, but I resented the hidden upsell. The service was excellent, no hovering but always there at just the right moment.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent, as usual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Another great visit to Heaven City. We enjoyed a drink at the bar and then quickly taken to our table. The server assisted us in making appetizer selections, and the meal was presented at a well timed pace. Great salmon and sirloin tips followed by a shared dessert. Service was great and the food was very good.

• Visited July 2012