This actually happened some years ago- I would guess in approximately 2003. I was not aware of TripAdvisor's existence at that time, but after having just looked this place up here on TA, it would appear that they have not made any efforts to change their stripes. In light of that, I feel it's appropriate for me to write up the unbelievable experience we had at this awful hotel.
We were in the area for the Ozzfest concert festival. First off, these guys certainly are well aware of how little competition they have in the immediate area of Alpine Valley, as they consistently gouge excessively on room rates when big concerts are going on.
After a long, hot day and night at Ozzfest (which was great), we arrived at the hotel looking forward to some R & R, big time. As we walked in the front doors, we noticed that they were propped open and there were a few police officers around. We figured.. well, it's a post-Ozzfest crowd, people may well be intoxicated.. somebody's probably getting arrested for some reason. Not the greatest thing, but it happens.
We checked in, and headed to our second-floor room.. as we walked thru the hallways to get there, we thought we noticed an odd, acrid odor. We were too tired to really care at this point, so we got to our room, got pajama-ed up, and prepared to hit the hay.
We were in our room for maybe 20 minutes when we had a knock at the door. It was a cop, telling us that the hotel was being evacuated due to a chemical spill of some kind. As we headed back out, we noticed the smell was much stronger, and felt a little bit of burning in the throat and lungs.
So, we stood around outside.. and as it got later and later, it got quite cold.. it was late summer in Wisconsin. Very cold and misty. Not many of the evacuated people were prepared for that, as we didn't really know what was going on when we were all herded out. The fire department (who had arrived by this time), passed out cotton sheets for people to wrap up in; they were not allowing anyone to reenter, as they had not yet determined the source of the problem. We were all eventually taken over to a nearby Taco Bell (the only place in the vicinity that was open), where we sat for HOURS. A fireman finally came and let us know that there had been some kind of toxic chemical spill in the hotel's laundry area, but that the building had been cleared and we could return to our rooms.
As we reentered the hotel, some guy who I would presume was the owner was there telling everyone that checkout time was an hour later than usual because of the inconvenience. Being too exhausted to make any further inquiries at this point, we went back to our room. It was approximately 4:30 am by this time.
The next morning as we prepared to leave, I figured the hotel would most certainly give us some kind of discount on their excessive rate for the night, since we were clearly hugely inconvenienced by something that was within their control. I was incredibly shocked that all I got at the front desk was a solid "NO", and reminder about how wonderful they had been to us by allowing us to check out an hour late. For real. There were other guests at the desk at the same time that were making the exact same request we were, who were (understandably) pretty loud in their displeasure at being denied any sort of discount. We were so sick of and disgusted by this whole situation that we just left. We didn't even have the energy or desire to haggle over it. We just felt happy that the whole ridiculous experience was over.
However.. it wasn't over! A couple of weeks later, we received a letter from the local owner of the hotel, apologizing for the inconvenience and stating that the letter was good for one free night's stay in that hotel. We figured.. yeah, like we'd really stay there again, BUT we did appreciate that they at least made some sort of effort at recompense.
But that's STILL not the end of the story! A couple of months later, we received ANOTHER letter from the local owner, saying.. nevermind that other letter, we're not giving you any free night's stay, forget about it, you get nothing! I wish I were joking about this, but I'm not.. this really happened.
So at this point, we were MAD. What is wrong with these people? I contacted Sleep Inn's corporate customer service, and when I mentioned the location, she knew exactly what I was talking about.. they had had a HUGE number of complaints about this exact incident (unsurprisingly). Without my even asking her to do so, she refunded the TOTAL cost of the night’s stay to us. She said that was what they were doing for everyone that had contacted them about this situation, as it was so outrageously out of order. She also said that Sleep Inn’s corporate end was looking into pulling this location’s franchise rights.. sorry to see that it doesn’t appear to have happened.
So, to summarize… right, do NOT stay at this place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Rodeway Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sleep Inn Mukwonago