“Crazy, off the wall, worst hotel experience I've ever had.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   945 Greenwald Court, Mukwonago, WI 53149 (Formerly Sleep Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mukwonago
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Crazy, off the wall, worst hotel experience I've ever had.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This actually happened some years ago- I would guess in approximately 2003. I was not aware of TripAdvisor's existence at that time, but after having just looked this place up here on TA, it would appear that they have not made any efforts to change their stripes. In light of that, I feel it's appropriate for me to write up the unbelievable experience we had at this awful hotel.

We were in the area for the Ozzfest concert festival. First off, these guys certainly are well aware of how little competition they have in the immediate area of Alpine Valley, as they consistently gouge excessively on room rates when big concerts are going on.

After a long, hot day and night at Ozzfest (which was great), we arrived at the hotel looking forward to some R & R, big time. As we walked in the front doors, we noticed that they were propped open and there were a few police officers around. We figured.. well, it's a post-Ozzfest crowd, people may well be intoxicated.. somebody's probably getting arrested for some reason. Not the greatest thing, but it happens.

We checked in, and headed to our second-floor room.. as we walked thru the hallways to get there, we thought we noticed an odd, acrid odor. We were too tired to really care at this point, so we got to our room, got pajama-ed up, and prepared to hit the hay.

We were in our room for maybe 20 minutes when we had a knock at the door. It was a cop, telling us that the hotel was being evacuated due to a chemical spill of some kind. As we headed back out, we noticed the smell was much stronger, and felt a little bit of burning in the throat and lungs.

So, we stood around outside.. and as it got later and later, it got quite cold.. it was late summer in Wisconsin. Very cold and misty. Not many of the evacuated people were prepared for that, as we didn't really know what was going on when we were all herded out. The fire department (who had arrived by this time), passed out cotton sheets for people to wrap up in; they were not allowing anyone to reenter, as they had not yet determined the source of the problem. We were all eventually taken over to a nearby Taco Bell (the only place in the vicinity that was open), where we sat for HOURS. A fireman finally came and let us know that there had been some kind of toxic chemical spill in the hotel's laundry area, but that the building had been cleared and we could return to our rooms.

As we reentered the hotel, some guy who I would presume was the owner was there telling everyone that checkout time was an hour later than usual because of the inconvenience. Being too exhausted to make any further inquiries at this point, we went back to our room. It was approximately 4:30 am by this time.

The next morning as we prepared to leave, I figured the hotel would most certainly give us some kind of discount on their excessive rate for the night, since we were clearly hugely inconvenienced by something that was within their control. I was incredibly shocked that all I got at the front desk was a solid "NO", and reminder about how wonderful they had been to us by allowing us to check out an hour late. For real. There were other guests at the desk at the same time that were making the exact same request we were, who were (understandably) pretty loud in their displeasure at being denied any sort of discount. We were so sick of and disgusted by this whole situation that we just left. We didn't even have the energy or desire to haggle over it. We just felt happy that the whole ridiculous experience was over.

However.. it wasn't over! A couple of weeks later, we received a letter from the local owner of the hotel, apologizing for the inconvenience and stating that the letter was good for one free night's stay in that hotel. We figured.. yeah, like we'd really stay there again, BUT we did appreciate that they at least made some sort of effort at recompense.

But that's STILL not the end of the story! A couple of months later, we received ANOTHER letter from the local owner, saying.. nevermind that other letter, we're not giving you any free night's stay, forget about it, you get nothing! I wish I were joking about this, but I'm not.. this really happened.

So at this point, we were MAD. What is wrong with these people? I contacted Sleep Inn's corporate customer service, and when I mentioned the location, she knew exactly what I was talking about.. they had had a HUGE number of complaints about this exact incident (unsurprisingly). Without my even asking her to do so, she refunded the TOTAL cost of the night’s stay to us. She said that was what they were doing for everyone that had contacted them about this situation, as it was so outrageously out of order. She also said that Sleep Inn’s corporate end was looking into pulling this location’s franchise rights.. sorry to see that it doesn’t appear to have happened.

So, to summarize… right, do NOT stay at this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

My dad spent several nights at the sleep inn in mukwonago, wi. The staff was very nice to him and made his stay very enjoyable. My dad's stay was due to an emergency situation and the employees at the sleep inn helped to make things easier for us with their great customer service. The room was very clean and I would use that very same hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

They have an absurd cancellation policy, which is a month out. It's overpriced, at $300 a night. The manager was completely unreasonable. I stayed in Lake Geneva at the Grand Geneva for less and had an amazing time. Do not stay here at all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Called to rent a block of rooms for an upcoming wedding. This place wanted to charge me $250 for each room. Are you kidding? I've stayed her before when I lost power in my house and this joint isn't worth $50, much less $250. BTW, the tv didn't work in the room I did stay at and the pool was freezing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I was recently asked by my employer to make a last minute stop across the state to pick up a new hire and start his training process. I hand't planned on staying in a hotel that night but I was about 2 hours from home and with it being a third shift job, we didn't get done until 4:30 - 5:00 AM. Regardless, when we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly woman who agreed to honor an online business rate (from choicehotels.com) even though we hadn't made reservations through the website, or made a reservation at all for that matter. We asked if there was a 24 hour diner somewhere in the area, as continental breakfast was 1 hour away. She said that she couldn't think of any but not to worry if we were hungry she could start setting out the breakfast early for us. We walked over to the breakfast area and proceeded to receive better service than most sit down restaurants. She asked if we would like some milk, asked if we knew what we wanted off their usual spread and proceeded to take out what we asked for before proceeding with the rest of the breakfast preparation ritual. We ended up booking 2 nights so we could sleep through the checkout time, woke up refreshed and ready for another long night of work. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. It's close enough to the city for an easy commute but far enough away that we didn't have to be stressed about all the city traffic and people. Mostly, we would stay here again for the first class service.

Room Tip: AC is a bit noisy at first. give it an hour or so to catch up to whatever temp you set it to and it...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We've stayed at this tucked away hotel for business, on three occasions. Each time the rooms have been clean and well stocked with towels and personal hygeine items, the bed has been reasonably comfortable (there's no place like home) and the personnel have been professional and friendly. This last time, I accidentally left a very expensive pair of gold earrings on the night stand. I called and was immediately informed that they had been found and would be held for me. Honesty land responsibility like this goes a long way for us. We won't be staying anywhere else if we are in reasonable distance of here the next time we travel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I stayed here with friends to attend the Pearl Jam 20 concert at Alpine Valley. We were looking to stay close to the venue since it is a pain to get out of the show and then have to drive a long ways to your hotel. In early August a room with 2 beds came available, but it was listed at $300 and we couldn't cancel (talk about price gouging). We agreed to do it and I thought all would be well (stupid me for not checking trip advisor first!).

The day of our trip I went to print my confirmation and noticed I had received a message a few days earlier that said my reservation had been changed to 1 Queen! I freaked out because I really needed 2 beds and called the hotel to make sure this would not be an issue. The proprietor said I had called on the 13th to make this change and I said, I work, so I most certainly did not. But he stated that we could work it out and would see me when I arrived.

When I went to check in, I confirmed we would be 2 people (they wanted an extra $40 per night to add people!). I have never had to pay for extra people before in my life. Well, when we went to our room, we got "caught" with extra people. The guy wigged out and started talking about all this Fire Code crap (4 people in a 2 bed room does not exceed fire code, and it said online the capacity was 5!). What's interesting is that he had people staying in a conference room in sleeping bags! If that isn't against fire code, I don't know what is!!

The room was very mediocre, which I could have expected, but it smelled really bad. To top it off, there was only a pocket door into the bathroom (something I have never seen before), and the toilet barely flushed. We had to hold the handle down everytime, even just for #1. Beds were pretty crummy, but I brought my own pillow so I suffered through.

The only redeeming thing about this place was the waffle option for breakfast (which I thought FOR SURE would be shut down right at 9 based on the owners attitude), the hot tub (kid free!) and the location (10 miles from venue). Overall it was pretty quiet considering there were concert goers staying there…I was a little freaked out that when we arrived in the morning the back door was locked down and then at 1am when we got back from the show, it was open…Also probably didn’t bode well that the police was cruising the parking lot when we checked in.

As a final note, this place is “losing” it’s Sleep Inn designation in October. One reason for this could be because Choice Hotels no longer wants to be associated with a run down hotel and irritating owners OR it could be because the owner is cheap and doesn’t want to pay Sleep Inn royalties. Either way, I won’t be back and I am writing this review in hopes that others don’t make the same mistake I did.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!