“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monroe
Gasthaus Motel
Monroe, WI   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Monroe
Chicago, Illinois
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I spend 9-15 nights a week at the Gasthaus in Monroe, WI. Randy & Teresa are the owners and the best people that you could imagine. I have stayed at most of the hotels within a 20 mile radius and come to realize that the Gasthaus is the most comfortable and best value for the money. I recommend the Gasthaus in Monroe to all of my friends and colleagues traveling to the area. Check it out, it's great.

Room Tip: Normal rates are lower than all surrounding hotels
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Gasthaus was one of the cleanest motels I've stayed in. The tiled bathrooms were great, and the microwave and refrigerator a welcome addition. The motel caters to people working in the lovely town of Monroe, so is very quiet, as most of the guests get up early and go to bed early. Also, the units seemed to have good sound-proofing.

I have 3 show dogs which are always crated when I'm not in the room , and wear belly bands and 'panties' when loose when I'm in the room, just to prevent accidents, most often caused by marking done by pets with irresponsible owners - I can't imagine leaving a ferret loose in the room, which a previous negative reviewer wanted to do! Not to mention ferrets have some scent that they leave. The negative reviewer with the Saint Bernard must be aware that traveling with one of the heavily-salivating breeds is a problem - what does he do to prevent the saliva from flying all over the place? I certainly don't want to stay in the room after he's been there.

As for cats, the owners have cats, and I'm sure are aware of cat allergies, which are fairly common and can be life-threatening. It's a little tough to get cat dander out of a motel room. People who travel with cats should be aware of this.

A unit with kitchen facilities was wonderful also, which I had on a second stay.

Also, I found the beds extremely comfortable.

The only suggestion for improvement would be to have wall-mounted hair dryers.

The owners had good suggestions for dining in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

Even though I rented a dog-friendly room, when they found out that I had a St Bernard, they said I couldn't bring him. They told me this a few days before heading out and there was a one month cancellation policy for my room so I was stuck with it.

Outside of their poor business sense and lack of people skills, the room was mediocre. The mattress was bulged in the middle and I felt like I was going to fall out of bed all night.

I save some money next time and hit a budget hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Des Moines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We arrived “expecting to be impressed”—as the motel’s website promotes. We weren’t. Our stay kicked off with a frosty reception and a need to change rooms due to odors. We then received a “renovated room” that was ok but a weak attempt to offer value consistent with room rates. Ice machine is in former management office, which is now dark and smelly. Cable TV came in fuzzy and shower drains slowly.

Upon departure, we realized we forgot to ask for our AAA discount up front. The owner was called to see if an adjustment was possible-she promptly refused. There are many wonderful and impressive places within Green County and Monroe---Gasthaus isn’t one of them...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

When we declared our pet ferret, as required at check-in, we were initially refused the room we had reserved. We did our best to educate the woman owner about our ferret (not stinky, well behaved, caged) and she finally agreed to allow us to stay for one night as long as we did not leave the ferret in the room alone. She charged us a significant pet fee, and refused us our AAA discount because, as she stated, she was the owner and could do whatever she wanted to. Although their web site says that they are pet lovers the woman also said she never lets people with CATS stay there either. Other motels in the area were full on this date so we stayed although we never will again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sycamore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Great location, easy to get around town , cozy cute place to visit and stay for the weekend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Nothern Ill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We recently stayed in the Gasthaus Motel in Monroe and found our stay to be quite nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. They pointed out many area places of interest and places to dine. We had a wonderful time and would recommed this family hotel to anyone in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Gasthaus Motel? Share your experiences!