“Really Good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
USA
“Really Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I went here for the first time, we both love and have had great Indian food all over the world. This place was really good.

I had the Lamb Sag or Sag Mutton. The waiter brought out some thin chips and 3 kinds of chutney, all were really good. The lamb was meaty, which I really liked. I asked for it really hot and spicy and had them bring more chili out so I could add more and it was just right for me. I would've liked more spinach, as it was just on the side of being a little watery, but overall I couldn't complain at all. I just like it thicker. Tasty, the right amount of meat to feed the carnivore in me. The nan bread was good but a little oily. I've not had it oily like this before but it was good.

The wife had the chicken sag and she liked it as well. Plenty of meat even though she doesn't want as much meat and the flavor was good for her. She had the onion and cheese? nan and she liked that.
The waiters were really good as well, attentive without being imposing and very friendly.

We'll be back for sure.
Oh and the bathrooms were clean.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Madison
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We ate at this restaurant recently and found the food exceptionally good. The service was very welcoming and attentive (but not too hovering.)

The bathroom was filthy, however, and it makes me wonder if I want to eat there again. Think: Food preparers going to the restroom and picking up all sorts of dirt, which might remain on their hands if they are not washed thoroughly. I wonder what the state health inspector will think of such a dirty restroom. I understand this is par for the course in many Indian locales, yet it doesn't do well in our culture where hygiene is of utmost importance in a public facility.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good Indian Food in Monona at last--Accha hai!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Went there for dinner, both the vegetarian appetizers and our entrees: a vegetable biryani and a lamb vindaloo were very tasty, mango lassis were good and the khir was appropriately rich and creamy. Will definitely be returning for the lunch buffet. Service was prompt and friendly. If you live in Monona or vicinity and like Indian food, the Swad is for you.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Monona, Wisconsin
“Excellent food and friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This restaurant just opened in the last month. As such, it's very clean and tidy. Has a simple but comforting ambiance. The service was excellent. My water glass was never more than half empty and there never seemed to be a unnecessary plate on the table. The courses arrived at our table hot and in a timely manner. The food was excellent. The Butter Chicken used Tandori Chicken as opposed to regularly cooked chicken.. Thus the texture and flavor was excellent. We had several rice dishes which were cooked and seasoned just right. Mild is mild, so if you like your food with a bit of spice I would recommend medium hot. I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited February 2014