“Great hospitality and free bikes” 5 of 5 stars

AmericInn Minocqua
700 US Hwy 51 North, Minocqua, WI 54548   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Cincinnati
“Great hospitality and free bikes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I was without a car for 24 hours on vacation and had to find a place to stay. Jim, the afternoon/evening host, gave me a very good rate (for a vacation hotel) and the day hosts stored my bags until my room was ready. The room was very clean, roomy, quiet, and comfortable. The breakfast was balanced (fruit, yogurt, waffles, juice, milk) and lasted until a reasonable 10 am. An evening reception even offered beer. The highlight for me was the bike loaner. They have six comfy coaster bikes, and Jim said he was glad to see one being used. I don't know why guests don't use them more often, because there's a beautiful rails-to-trails state park within two blocks offering at least an 18 mile ride one-way (for a $4 daily fee). Shopping in town is one block away with typical boutiques for an upscale tourist town. One downside: the pool looked scuzzy. The upside: the lake's public access beach is right across the street. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. P.S. Eat at the brew pub across the street. Nice outdoor patio.

• Liked — Free bikes
  • Disliked — Scuzzy pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

(1) A/C did not work properly and had a leak, dripping all night. (2)
No Parking. I had to park at another establishment. (3) Loud guests in the lobby woke me up several times during the night (midnight through 3 am). Major problem was I had to call the front desk to quiet them down. (4) Not very clean.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Springstead, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised with how the GM worked with me to get 2 smoke free rooms on short notice for Jan. 19th. We are locals, and live only 45 minutes from the hotel, and it is nice to know there is a local hotel that will work with us during the busy winter season. Our 8 year old daughter was in a childrens' play on the 20th, had late rehearsals and early dress rehearsals, and at the last minute learned my parents were coming up and wanted to stay close to the high school to avoid the extra driving in the snow. The GM worked with me to get our rooms together and though we were only there about 13 hours, and did not get to use the pool, the continental breakfast was filling enough and the hotel was very clean and the beds very clean. I will point out we were in the newer section and that may be why the beds were more comfortable than what I have read in other reviews. The thermostat control is nice in the rooms-you don't get blasted with cold or hot air, but gentle streams. There is a wonderful french bakery next door with fabulous quiches and anything else you could wish for (we did not use this on this trip but are frequent customers) if you don't want the continental breeakfast.
Again, we appreciated the accomodations and the work that was done for us. It is always nice to know of a local place to send people when they ask for a place to stay and know they will be taken care of.
My only c/o has nothing to do with the hotel-it is winter and I am a snowmobiler, but at 8am the exhaust from the many snowmobilers getting ready to go out for the day overtook our room and even our 8 y.o. daughter commented on how seh couldn't breathe. We were leaving for breakfast but would have been overpowering if we were going to be in the room for any length of time.

• Liked — the large rooms with 2 queen beds
  • Disliked — the long walk to the cont. breakfast
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

Let me start by saying that we have had great experiences staying at the Americinn chain in the past.
My husband and I had a reservation for a 2 night stay at the Americinn in Minocqua, WI while visiting the area. We were very disappointed with this hotel.
We arrived at the hotel about 1 hour before check in so we decided to see if maybe our room was ready (no expectations). After waiting unacknowledged for about 5 minutes while a clerk was on the computer, he turned and stated, "yes"? I told him we had a reservation. He said well check in is at 3 so you should come back at 3. He never asked our name or even glanced at the computer to see if something was available. I asked if he could check to see if our room may be ready early and he said "as I said, check in is at 3" so come back then; we do not let people check in early.
We left. After a couple of minutes we went back in to cancel the 2nd night which we no longer would need. When we walked in he was handing a couple in front of us the key to their room. I asked him why this couple received their room early and he said that their room just happened to be ready per a housekeeping list. Nice. Did he not like us?
So we finally checked in and found the room to be very dirty. The carpet wasn't vacumned and the bathroom was loaded with hair on the floor and in the tub. There was a mat in the tub that was full of mildew and the room had a foul odor. My pillow had fresh mascara and hair on it. I am usually not bothered by gross things but but this room sure got to me. We told the clerk who was very nice upon check out the next day about the dirty room and she stated she would tell housekeeping. I noticed that the hotel manager was the same man who wouldn't check us in the day before so I figured it wouldn't do any good to complain to him.
We will never stay at this hotel again mostly due to the cleanliness issue. Besides the manager, the rest of the staff was very nice and hospitable. He should take a courtesy lesson from his employees.

Hamilton Square, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

The AmericInn is a cut above most family vacation motels. The rooms are large and feature interesting amenities (we had some kind of special bath salts for our jacuzzi, papaya shampoo/conditioner and cucumber hand lotion). It also offers a much broader selection of cable TV channels than just about any other hotel I've stayed at, which is probably a great help when the kids get bored. The indoor pool was large and located right off the lobby, with large windows--parents could easily sit in the living room-style lobby and chat while keeping an eye on the kids in the pool. Another charming feature was the number of benches and porch swings on the lawn, where you can sit and watch beautful sunsets on Lake Minocqua just across the street. And we loved the convenient location, within walking distance of Minocqua's downtown and just a short drive from Paul Bunyan's and other notable restaurants.

The only drawback to this property was that the pillows were very thin and un-fluffy, and did not provide much support. But since you'll probably be driving here from home, it's easy to bring a pillow along. Or just buy one at the friendly Wal-Mart nearby!

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

We are from madison.We go up to minocqua quite often snowmobiling.We could not ask to be treated better than the way the people who work at the hotel treat us!!!!The rooms are great!Hot tub sure hit's the spot(make that manny spots)THIS IS A GREAT PLACE!!!We wont go any where elce!Having the trails start in the back parking lot sure is nice!(they dont plow the parking lot for the sleds)NO USE LOOKING YOU HAVE FOUND THE BEST HOTEL IN TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2004

Everything about our stay was supurb...from the manager reception (complimentary cocktail and snacks) to a beautiful room (we had a king whirlpool suite) at a very affordable price. The pool and whirlpool area was very nice and the staff very freindly.

Been to AmericInn Minocqua? Share your experiences!