“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Being a native of nearby Benton, Wisconsin where pasty is a regular staple for church dinners, we were searching for a restaurant that served pasty when traveling home for a weekend. That is why we chose the Rooster Cafe. Atmosphere was is the norm is small towns I. The area. My mother and I ordered individual pasties while my husband ordered the quiche. We normally prepare the pan style. This was a nice change. Naturally, my mother said her pasty is better, but this was great. It was served with chili sauce and catsup, our norm once again. It is rather unfair of some reviewers to compare this to pasty in Michigan's UP. This is a different region, after all. We also ordered the figgyhoppin. It was like a giant fig newton. Loved it! Dining at this restaurant was like coming home. We will definitely return.

Visited May 2014

Burnsville, Minnesota
“Local flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Known for its Cornish food options, we gave the cafe a try. We had their pasty and while the crust was yummy, the filling was overcooked.

Visited April 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“Disappointing with a touch of charm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I decided to try this place because we heard that we had to try their "Figgy Hobbin." We ordered and our soda came in cans (we would have preferred it if they had a soda fountain, but that isn't a deal breaker). We got dinner buns with our meal that had been thrown into little individual baggies and we wondered if someone had stopped and grabbed the buns from the gas station or something on their way to work. They just looked cheap. My husband ordered the pasty and we was pretty happy with it. He ordered the wilted salad which he loved. I ordered the 1/4 chicken dinner, for $8.50. I wish I had taken a picture because it was hysterical. They gave me, no joke, the smallest leg and wing you have ever seen in your life! They were from like a miniature Cornish hen or something. They were fried to a crisp, and I do mean a crisp. There was no meat on it and they were horrible, like really bad. I ordered hashbrowns with my meal and they were good and the helping was generous. The chicken dinner has become a really funny joke between my husband and I. We ordered the Figgy Bobbin for dessert and it was really good. I thought the piece was small, but oh, it was good. Our waitress was friendly enough, but spent most of her time chatting loudly with coworkers. She also blew her nose and didn't wash her hands afterwards, not kidding. It was pretty slow, so all the coworkers were leisurely hanging out and discussing every aspect of their personal lives and the lives of everyone they knew. My husband and I kept looking at each other and feeling weird, occasionally laughing about my crappy dinner. The place seemed clean enough, but we would never go back, unless we maybe wanted to run in for a Figgy Bobbin and we'd take that to go, for sure.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park
“Pasty(?)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

During a weekend get away to Mineral Point we became curious aout this local specialty. Being from Chicago and admitted "foodies" we were amused that we hadn't seen pasties in the city. I am glad we chose the Red Rooster Cafe as the place for our culinary adventure. It is a charming cafe and our pasties were quite tasty. They have a varied menu but on our short weekend trip we only had time for one meal there

Visited October 2013
Racine, Wisconsin, United States
“Nice local diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Small town diner feel. Serve breakfast all day, which I love. We tried their specialties: the pasty and figgyhobbin. Both were delicious. I personally recommend the individual pasty, as opposed to the pan style.