“Dining with a great wine list” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub

Hinterland Erie Street Gastropub
222 East Erie Street, Suite 100, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Historic Third Ward)
+1 414-727-9300
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #182 of 1,338 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Bar scene, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Historic Third Ward
Cross street: Water
Description: Hinterland...A new hub for contemporary American cuisine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Executive Chef Dan Van Rite and Sous Chef Dan Turek, explore a multicultural approach to cooking and eating. Their journey to create bold flavors and uncommon pairings is a daily mission at Hinterland.In order to accomplish this sojourn, we've partnered with fisherman in Honolulu, Seattle and Portland, Maine. These partnerships allow our chefs to procure fresh fish as often as two times a day. Other relationships with small, local growers and ranchers allow us to provide our customers with extraordinary game as well as hand foraged mushrooms and heirloom produce. The result is a menu that evolves with every season and changes everyday.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Dining with a great wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This a great dining location with a notable wine list. Very popular and for good reason, the menu choices are well prepared and well presented. The servers are friendly and helpful making the visit memorable. Martini's were said to be great too. There are many newer restaurants in this area of the city including this one. A great choice. Not appropriate for children. And not appropriate for the frugal diner. Good for friends, family and couples.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lisbon, Portugal
“Can't Stop Myself!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I keep coming back, all year around! With a friend, work colleagues, when introducing people to the Third Ward, I include Hinterland. It's a fine dining experience of creative, seasonal dishes as well as a spirited upscale bar scene. Don't fail to get to the back room, a relaxing bar atmosphere we often choose for appetizers and a drink before dinner....but then, the front bar has those great seats we choose for after dinner drinks and chatter. The dining room relaxes you, you can't help have a good time here. Service, food has never gone wrong and I've enjoyed the unusual first-time combinations of their seasonal menu for several years.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Tasty food and great wine list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Came to town for a meeting and met a friend on monday night which is taco night. I had fish tacos they were very well put together! I will definitely come back to try the regular menu. Great wine list as well!

Visited August 2012
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Difficult to rate, because the food was terrific... but made me ill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My dish had sunchokes, also known as Jerusalem artichokes. Our waitress told us that they were frequently substituted for fingerling potatoes. They were really tasty and had a unique, nutty flavor.

However.

I have never experienced such gastric distress in my life. I was up all night with unimaginable pain and other consequences I'm embarrassed to discuss. So I looked up jerusalem artichokes on Wikipedia:

The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system,[6] which can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:
"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

That's a fair description. Especially the pained and tormented part.

I wrote to the restaurant to advise them that perhaps they should take this off the menu. I never asked for any recompense, but the owner wrote back to apologize and offered to send me a gift card. I accepted that offer. I never received anything. I wrote back a month later to ask if it had been lost in the mail - my email was not even acknowledged. That was in June. It was HIS offer - I only accepted because I was ill for nearly 18 hours.

I would've loved to have gone back there - but I do not want to get sick again. The food was great. The service was fantastic. But the owner offered me an unsolicited refund or gift card, and when I accepted his offer, he reneged. That's not good business.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a gem in Milwaukee! Innovative food prepared beautifully. These guys really know what they are doing. I have to say I'm proud to have this restaurant in my home town--my husband and I bring everyone we know here and they are always impressed! I recommend trying items off the beaten path--you'll be surprised at how good they are.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere