“Don't get delivery” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Don't get delivery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

So I've been coming to Kiku at least once a month since I moved to Milwaukee about eight months ago. Up until now, I've always dined in and had a really positive experience. This review is not about dining in at the restaurant. This review is about their delivery service through their website.

The key fact is that I didn't get my food for two hours. Two hours. I ordered veggie spring rolls and three basic maki rolls, and I live less than a mile away. (I normally walk, but I didn't want to commit that much time on this occasion.) I called after an hour and a half to ask where my food was, and I heard the woman who answered say to a co-worker that she didn't see my order anywhere in the system. She then told me that there was an issue with the delivery man, and that my food would arrive in a half hour.

When the delivery person arrived, he was from a third party, not from Kiku. He said there was a delivery fee still owed, but didn't seem surprised when I told him that there shouldn't be one. He said that they had probably called him after I called them, that he had actually paid for my order himself, and that he would go argue with them about the delivery fee. I felt badly for both of us.

Needless to say, my appetizer and my sushi were both approaching room temperature upon arrival.

My suggestion: If you want delivery, get it somewhere else.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Lower rating if based solely on food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The first thing that I noticed upon entering this restaurant was the condition of the rugs. They were stained and absolutely filthy. If we had time, I would've suggested at that point that we search for an alternate establishment.
The service was quite good. Several servers took care of us, keeping our glasses full and the food came out quickly. One server, however, had no idea as to the preparation of the food on the menu.
The food was well below average. The salad was edible, the Miso soup tasted like an old shoe and my dish, the chicken teriyaki,i was overcooked, although I prefer that to undercooked. My partner ordered the sushi and a few hours later became ill.
The staff did make a sincere effort to make our experience comfortable and expedient, but I cannot recommend this establishment, and certainly avoid anything that is not cooked.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Weird service. More like a college bar than a fine restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was taken in by the "Best 100 Asian restaurants" award and decided to try Kiku as a result. I learned not to trust award lists. The food was average to somewhat above average, but the vibe was just weird.

When you enter the restaurant you are facing a bar, and both times I entered, the bar was filled with college kids hanging out with the college age staff. There is nothing wrong with this usually, but in this case, friends of the staff (or perhaps staff who were off duty) were coming in and out of the bar the entire time I was there, and the staff were hanging out with them, slowing down the service greatly. The restaurant was also playing music a little too loud for my tastes and the music was more appropriate to a club than an elegant restaurant.

The food we received (we did not order sushi) was well prepared and tasty, but not excellent. Most of the cooked fish dishes were a little overcooked. One theme of the food was that it was hard to eat without making a mess. The teriyaki dishes were served with a drizzle of teriyaki sauce on the sides of the plate and everyone got that on their hands. Other people got other sauces on their hands.

We liked the food, but the service and general attitude of the staff made the overall experience somewhat stressful and uncomfortable.

Visited April 2013
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
“Incredibly below average despite the prestige”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My fiance and I were going to Milwauke for a mini vacation and I wanted to try some sushi. I settled on Kiku's after searching through several websites and got a $20 off a $40 order.

As I later discovered, least according to the signage posted on the windows and inside the place, Kiku was voted "Best of Milwaukee" for three years in a row and was voted one of the top 100 Asian restaurants in the US. For the life of me I can't understand why.

The booths have these towering backs, which I hate because they restrict you from getting a good view of the restaurant. Not that there was much that I really wanted to see. The decor was a bit weird.

I only had the sushi so I can only speak for the sushi. Because of the coupon I ordered different kinds of sushi. The tuna maki (my favorite) kind of tasted weird to me and the color looked off. The king crab roll tasted like bad imitation crab and couldn't finish it. They put avocado in their Philadelphia rolls (like some places do)---there was way too much of it and the avocado itself tasted awful. Didn't try the urchin roll because it looked disgusting and kind of made me ill just looking at it---never had it before, but it was this muddy brown color and nothing like the pictures I've seen of it. The tamago and the salmon nigiri and the cucumber maki were not spectacular, but not awful either. And the plate was decorated with this martini glass with some sort of decorative crunchy strings that kept falling into my sushi. The only real good thing about the meal was the smoothie (which Kiku is apparently known for) that I ordered for my drink.

Despite the numerous awards Kiku's sushi is almost as bad as the sushi you would get in a mall food court. Never will go there again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great lunch specials which leave you feeling full.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I come here about once a month for lunch. The bento boxes are a great value! Personally, I enjoy the shrimp tempura. Anytime I've visited all have enjoyed their food. The atmosphere is a little odd. Not sure what it is exactly. Also, I think there is an odd smell when you walk in. Overall a great place for lunch downtown.

• 4 of 5 stars Food