My wife and I stayed at the County Clare inn the night of our wedding. Overall, we were left with a very positive experience, and would return back to the inn with no hesitation.
There were a few hiccups in our experience that I would like to share for future guests.
1) Parking - I am sure other reviewers have mentioned this, but the parking lot is small, and while parking was included with our stay, the lot was full upon arrival, to the point that cars were double-parked. We found a temporary street spot a block or so away, and upon checking in was informed that we could double-park in the lot, and leave the receptionist our car keys. Had we known this *before* arrival, we would have done this from the beginning and saved ourselves the walk in the ~20 degree cold.
2) After a certain time, the receptionist is off-duty, and the bartender handles receptionist duties. The bar was hopping at one point, and it took quite a bit of time to get the bartender's attention. This wasn't the end of the world, but it kept me from my group for about 10-15 minutes.
3) Unlike some reviewers have experienced, we had no major issues with the room. The room was satisfactorily clean, quite comfortable. Upon turning on the whirlpool jets in the bathtub, however, a fair bit of debris came out. We were able to drain the tub and get rid of the debris, but it was a slightly disappointing (but understandable) discovery. That said, what's the cleaning staff supposed to do, fill up the tub and run it every time they clean? We perceive this just part and parcel of staying somewhere that has an in-room whirlpool tub.
4) We were seated in the restaurant around 9:30pm, 30 minutes before the kitchen closed. The host who seated our group (6 people) didn't give us menus, and directed us to make drink orders at the bar. After waiting about 20 minutes without any waitstaff coming to our table, I again left our party to ask the host for menus. After that, a waitress came by to take our orders, and she (understandably) advised us that we should make orders quickly since the kitchen closed in 10 minutes. This was only irritating because had we been given menus and waitstaff from the beginning, we would not have had to cut our orders so close. As it played out, it was irritating to have to wait, just to feel as though we were being blamed for cutting it close.
4b) While eating breakfast the following morning, we discovered a 'late night' menu for food items that were available after the kitchen closed. Had we known of this availability, we would likely have ordered differently, and not put a last-minute burden on the kitchen.
And now for the positive aspects of our stay (which completely outweighed the negatives, from our point of view).
1) The room was very comfortable, adequately clean, with a fairly speedy wireless internet connection that was hassle-free. The room is spacious, uniquely laid-out, and the 2-person whirlpool was exactly what we were looking for to unwind with.
2) Our breakfast meal was on a Saturday morning, and was absolutely fantastic. I will spare the details, but the Corned Beef Hash and the Traditional Irish Breakfast are what we ate, and they were amazing.
3) The only other food we personally ate was the bread pudding dessert. This too, was fantastic.
4) The pub/restaurant is beautiful, with charm in spades.
5) The room has a nice array of hot beverages, not just the typical in-room coffee. Tea selections (with honey), hot cocoa and some flavored creamer were a delightful touch, all complimentary.
6) Aside from our issue with dinner's timing/waitstaff hiccup, all of our other staff experiences were excellent. The evening receptionist and morning receptionist were friendly, welcoming and very accommodating and helpful. It was a nice touch to receive some cookies upon check-in. Our breakfast server had recognized us as the newly-weds from the night before, and offered his well wishes, and was very friendly. After breakfast, as we were in the parking lot, he came running out to us, to give us our champagne bottle that we had forgotten at our table. Definitely left a wonderful impression, and is a great asset to the establishment. I wish I knew his name, but thank you sir!
We cannot stress enough again, that we would come back to the County Clare again with no hesitation. We simply share some of the other details to hopefully educate potential guests. Overall, a wonderful stay.
Our room was on the east (210), overlooking the parking lot. I have read other reviewers say this is...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.