“The Perfect Wedding Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast

You added Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3046 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53208   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“The Perfect Wedding Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed two wonderful nights in this amazing space for our wedding. We stayed in the smaller Blue Room which was gorgeous in and of itself before moving into the exquisite George suite the next night. The staff really helped a frazzled bride in the transition between rooms and the George was the most amazing space to prepare for a wedding, in such a gorgeous setting! Our tiny wedding party had an amazing time sitting in one of the amazing downstairs parlors after the rehearsal. Breakfast was delicious, again, in an amazing setting. Every single room of the mansion is beautiful. After getting married next door at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, it was the most convenient and grand place to be, and the staff took breathtaking Victorian-looking photos of my husband and I on the beautiful grand staircase, what a priceless gift, thanks, Brumder Mansion!

Room Tip: The George is luxurious and great for a full family with adjoining rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Norton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Fit for a Robber Baron, the Great Brumder Mansion is one of a kind. Its old world charm, carved woodwork, fine furniture gives you the feel that you have stepped back in time. The relaxing whirlpool jets next to a crackling fireplace bring out the Christmas Spirit. The grand staircase soars over 3 stories with fine carved woodwork. The grand dinning room and living room looked like deck the halls. I would not want to stay anywhere else in Milwaukee, even after the new casino is built.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but the Gwyenth and the George haunt my mind.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This B and B is so beautiful, the owners and care takers treat you like family !
Typical for Wisconsin folks , as far as I can tell !
We had access to free , yes " free" wine and beer fridge on second floor !
Gluten free cookies, because they knew we were gluten free ! At no charge .
The spacious beautiful , throw back in time , holds a story of its own ! With a stage fore live plays they hold all through the year, especially Christmas time!
We LOVE this place , and will most certainly be back soon !
Lori and Michio

Room Tip: We loved the Emma or Marion
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I were given a gift certificate for our anniversary which was valued at $150.00. We booked three weeks in advance and chose the Emma room with a jacuzzi tub for a Saturday night in mid September. My wife called the day before our stay to let Anita the mansions host know we would not arrive until after 7:00p.m. She said it was not a problem but she would be leaving by 4:30 p.m so we would have to let ourselves in with the code for the front door. Our key would be in the door of our room upon our arrival. My wife and I thought this arrangement was strange but we have never stayed at a B&B before so we were not sure if this is a common practice in the B&B industry.
We arrived the next evening and had no problem finding the house, but the parking lot was somewhat confusing. It is located several buildings down the block in a dark,seedy looking area. (The lot is locked with a gate after midnight).
My wife had the code for the front door and we walked into the foyer where we were greeted by a college student dressed in a t-shirt and sweats. She said she would take us to our room and told us to follow her to the second floor. The door was locked with no key in sight. The young lady immediately left us standing at the locked door and took off to the first floor with a confused look on her face. I decided to go to the third floor while we waited and noticed the Blue rooms door was wide open. I knew something was terribly wrong because we were told that all of the rooms were booked for the night when my wife called the day before. So we dragged our belongings back to the entrance foyer and waited for the young lady to come back. About 10 minutes went by before her return, only to be told that someone else had taken our room and there was nothing that could be done about it! We could stay in the Blue room ( the cheapest room without a jacuzzi tub and the bathroom down the hall) or we could leave. I asked if they would make other arrangements at another hotel for us and we were told no. My wife asked to speak with Anita and we were spoken to as if this mess was our fault! Finally, another person showed up (no idea who she was)and told us the mix up was caused when one of the Theatre members (not employed by Brumder Mansion) decided to show guests to their room. How nice, except for the fact the room he or she gave them was the wrong room! She said she was sorry and offered us the next two nights in the room of our choice. We told her we would not be in Milwaukee for two more nights and that we only wanted the room we paid for. We were tired and upset but it was now close to 8:45p.m so we reluctantly took the Blue room for the night. We left before 7a.m because we couldn't stop thinking about how poorly this place is run.
Since our visit, we have tried to contact the owner thru email. We paid for a $150.00 room and received a $100.00 room . Someone replied to us and said an investigation was being conducted
and we would hear from them soon. Three weeks have passed, we are still waiting.

So if you enjoy total chaos and unprofessionalism when you arrive at a B&B, this is your place. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. We have stayed at the Ambassador Hotel which is down the same street(Wisconsin ave.) and enjoyed its wonderful Art Deco interior and professional staff.. No more B&Bs for us!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
bunkermonkey60, Owner at Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 10, 2015
This unfortunate incident happened when we were moving our stuff to Milwaukee from out of state, in August of 2013. Our innkeeper of 5 years had to move to the south, and we were learning how to manage without her. Before we left to move, we thought we had the staff to handle the business Brumder.

The people who were supposed to be in the Blue Room; our standard room, had arrived before you at 7:30 pm, and were taken to their room, and given the key. The acting innkeeper was away, and had given them the code to the front door, and confirmed with them that they had the Blue Room, which explains why someone took them to their room.. But mischief was afoot.

On the way up to their room, they saw that the Emma Suite (your room) was still empty, and they snuck back down to move in. We suspected that perhaps one of our many competitors city wide could of sent them to do some mischief, but we are not sure of this. They could've just wanted what they wanted. YIKES! They knew what they were doing. We understand how upset your were, and we are truly sorry that this happened.

When you arrived at 8:30 pm, it was a disaster. At 8:30 pm, it was felt t by our staff in charge that there was no way to reclean the room at that late time frame, and no one was strong enough to kick those folks out, afraid of having two sets of guests upset. WE have worked to change things. We have since gotten new staff, if we don't do it ourselves to check in people and be there until they arrive, no matter how late. No more giving of the code to get inside with no supervision, which is done in small bed and breakfasts, but not this one.

Several policies have been put in place to insure this doesn't happen EVER again. Rooms are locked the day they are to be rented. Keys are kept with the paperwork. We have a new staff, and we have taken over the duties of the innkeeper. The Blue Room, while very nice and cozy, , with some vintage antiques, has been used for staff and family visitors, though we may rent it again at some point. We apologize, and still offer you two nights in any room you desire.
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My preference is for listing all the pluses and glossing over the minuses but there are some things I need to point out here. The building is a beautiful old Milwaukee mansion, next door to a lovely church and a shrine, in an ok neighborhood. The first floor rooms are lovely and atmospheric, chock full of Victoriana. I arrived at the appointed 4 to 6 pm check-in and no one answered the door to repeated rings. Finally a fellow guest heard me and let me in. When my friend arrived just before 6, the same happened to her and fortunately since I was on the look-out from my corner room upstairs, I heard her and let her in. The welcome sugar cookies were few and tiny, but there was wine on the buffet upstairs, which unfortunately we were too busy to try but that was a nice touch. We shared the George suite, two rooms connected by a shared bathroom. The bathroom overhead light had a burned out bulb (one of three in the fixture) as did the overhead lamp in my bedroom (the smaller but sunnier of the two). The shelves in the medicine cabinet were scuzzy with toothpaste grime. There was a single plastic glass for the two people sharing the suite and one cake of soap that would have needed to be switched from sink to shower and back. I asked for another glass and cake of soap and they were provided, but I really shouldn't have had to ask. The small light at the side of the mirror was non-functional so the lighting in the bathroom was dim and would not please most men trying to shave (for instance my husband) or women applying make-up. There also was no bedside lighting in my room, which would be important to those who like to read in bed. There seemed to be no AC but though the days were warm, it cooled off at night so there was no problem with trying to sleep in an overheated room. There would have been a nice cross breeze if more than two of the four windows could have been opened. A box of Kleenex was provided in my friend's bedroom (the master) but not in mine. There is wi fi access. There was a small refrigerator with complimentary water and a bottle of soda and one of beer. The breakfast was good (although with no choice) but served very slowly so don't expect a quick get-away. The most surprising thing was arriving at 5 pm the second day and finding the rooms unserviced, beds unmade, etc. When I queried fellow guests at breakfast next morning, they said that was the way it was and that they had run into that in other B&B's. In all my years of travelling (I'm 73 and travel more internationally than nationally and usually I DO make my own bed in B&B's although not in hotels, but when I haven't, it's always been made when I got back from my day out.) I've never run into that before and for the price of the room, which was pricey but reasonable given that it was two rooms, I would expect the beds to be made and bathroom tidied up. I thought the central location was convenient and acceptable, breakfast adequate and building wonderful but the service and maintenance are in need of some tender loving attention. I loved my first impression (after finally getting in) but was disappointed in the maintenance of the suite's interior.

Room Tip: My corner room, the smaller of the George suite, was light and bright but all of the closet and stor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
bunkermonkey60, Owner at Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 12, 2015
2015 - Thank you for your thoughtful review. We have been working harder in those places that you suggested need some work. We have a special detail to look for burned-out bulbs, hidden messes and other hard to see things. We make sure that our housekeepers ( new ones) give two bars of soap, are careful to detail when cleaning.

You had forced-air , air-conditioning in your room, and we had fans available. Lighting has been improved in the bathroom. While you did have a pole lamp on the right side of the bed, I think it would be great to get another one for the other side too. We haven;t found one yet that goes, but are still looking.

The cookies ware a lot bigger, and sometimes other desserts are served. The serving of breakfast has gotten faster, and I'm glad you liked it.

Usually, back in August of 2013, when we were moving out stuff from out of state, our innkeeper would give our guest the code to get inside when they called the mansion number ,if she was off-campus. I am wondering why this didn't happen with you. Sorry about that. Now that my husband and I are splitting the in-keeping duties, someone living is always there to let people inside.

We don't at this time have a turn-down service. You can ask for it, and we could try to accommodate you, but we need your permission to do so in the state of Wisconsin. We offer new towels when asked. People just need to communicate what they would like.

You came in the high season when prices go up. Come in the fall, winter, or spring, and prices will be a lot lower.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed three nights at the mansion. Our room was a very good surprise, spa tub, a very large marble shower, and a fireplace.
The owner was really nice and made us feel welcome. Breakfast was delicious and served in time.

The neighborhood is ok if you don't plan on spending your night hanging out around the place. The location is convenient ; we walked downtown Milwaukee and it took about 50 minutes to get there.

We would definitely come back to the mansion !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I had an anniversary there and it was an all around great experience for us! Wonderful staff, beautiful place, and the most amazing home made chocolate chip cookies we've ever had! I would highly recommend going here for a romantic getaway with a loved one. Also, there's a cool history and a lot of interesting events at the Brumder. Also a very unique and enjoyable place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!