“Beautiful Building in need of some attention” 3 of 5 stars

Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast
3046 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53208   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Austin, TX
“Beautiful Building in need of some attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My preference is for listing all the pluses and glossing over the minuses but there are some things I need to point out here. The building is a beautiful old Milwaukee mansion, next door to a lovely church and a shrine, in an ok neighborhood. The first floor rooms are lovely and atmospheric, chock full of Victoriana. I arrived at the appointed 4 to 6 pm check-in and no one answered the door to repeated rings. Finally a fellow guest heard me and let me in. When my friend arrived just before 6, the same happened to her and fortunately since I was on the look-out from my corner room upstairs, I heard her and let her in. The welcome sugar cookies were few and tiny, but there was wine on the buffet upstairs, which unfortunately we were too busy to try but that was a nice touch. We shared the George suite, two rooms connected by a shared bathroom. The bathroom overhead light had a burned out bulb (one of three in the fixture) as did the overhead lamp in my bedroom (the smaller but sunnier of the two). The shelves in the medicine cabinet were scuzzy with toothpaste grime. There was a single plastic glass for the two people sharing the suite and one cake of soap that would have needed to be switched from sink to shower and back. I asked for another glass and cake of soap and they were provided, but I really shouldn't have had to ask. The small light at the side of the mirror was non-functional so the lighting in the bathroom was dim and would not please most men trying to shave (for instance my husband) or women applying make-up. There also was no bedside lighting in my room, which would be important to those who like to read in bed. There seemed to be no AC but though the days were warm, it cooled off at night so there was no problem with trying to sleep in an overheated room. There would have been a nice cross breeze if more than two of the four windows could have been opened. A box of Kleenex was provided in my friend's bedroom (the master) but not in mine. There is wi fi access. There was a small refrigerator with complimentary water and a bottle of soda and one of beer. The breakfast was good (although with no choice) but served very slowly so don't expect a quick get-away. The most surprising thing was arriving at 5 pm the second day and finding the rooms unserviced, beds unmade, etc. When I queried fellow guests at breakfast next morning, they said that was the way it was and that they had run into that in other B&B's. In all my years of travelling (I'm 73 and travel more internationally than nationally and usually I DO make my own bed in B&B's although not in hotels, but when I haven't, it's always been made when I got back from my day out.) I've never run into that before and for the price of the room, which was pricey but reasonable given that it was two rooms, I would expect the beds to be made and bathroom tidied up. I thought the central location was convenient and acceptable, breakfast adequate and building wonderful but the service and maintenance are in need of some tender loving attention. I loved my first impression (after finally getting in) but was disappointed in the maintenance of the suite's interior.

Room Tip: My corner room, the smaller of the George suite, was light and bright but all of the closet and stor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed three nights at the mansion. Our room was a very good surprise, spa tub, a very large marble shower, and a fireplace.
The owner was really nice and made us feel welcome. Breakfast was delicious and served in time.

The neighborhood is ok if you don't plan on spending your night hanging out around the place. The location is convenient ; we walked downtown Milwaukee and it took about 50 minutes to get there.

We would definitely come back to the mansion !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I had an anniversary there and it was an all around great experience for us! Wonderful staff, beautiful place, and the most amazing home made chocolate chip cookies we've ever had! I would highly recommend going here for a romantic getaway with a loved one. Also, there's a cool history and a lot of interesting events at the Brumder. Also a very unique and enjoyable place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been in some swanky places but never anything like Brumder Mansion. From all the beautifully ornate decor, to the amazing amount of rooms (its deceptively diminutive appearing from the outside), this place could not have been more deliciously victorian. If dark corners, and spooky antiques are not your thing, you might want to stay away. But if you have an appreciation for such things, you'd be hard pressed to find a place in the greater Milwaukee area superior to Brumder Mansion. With 80% of the original furniture still intact, one could not help but feel like they had woken up on the set of a spooky horror movie. The rooms are simple, but opulent, and offer a perfect ambience for romance. The staff, (Tonja and Anita), could not have been more pleasant and saw to our every need, even offering us some of their own personal frozen custard upon our arrival! The prices are somewhat high for my tastes, but was easily worth every penny. The one drawback is the location. It didn't bother me any, as I have extensive experience in such zones, but it's not in a good neighborhood. Conveyance is needed to reach any restaurants, as you do not want to just walk, (especially at night), and I would recommend spending most of your time in the mansion. Which shouldn't be a big deal. This is not a place for a quick stop for some rest while out on the road, or touristing in Milwaukee. This place is for creating memories while enjoying the unique and wonderful characteristics of Brumder Mansion. I will undoubtedly be going back.

• Stayed January 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I travel quite a bit and stay in a lot of hotels. When we're on the road over a weekend we like to find things to do in neighboring towns. We have had the pleasure of staying at Brumder Mansion on two separate occasions with hopes to return many more times. Tonja the Inn Keeper and Anita, the masseuse on staff are wonderful ladies who will go out of their way to make sure that your stay is a one of a kind experience. Their warmth and hospitality will have us coming back over and over again. And the breakfast is amazing! The last time we were there as we stepped onto the porch, the smell that welcomed us, welcomed us home.
Not to mention the shows! If you can book your weekend stay on the weekends the house is hosting one of many wonderful shows, it's a definite don't miss!
If you have the opportunity to stay, don't pass it up! I promise you won't regret it!
Chris and Chelle

Room Tip: The "George' is our personal favorite!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Allis, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We live in Milwaukee and never knew this gem existed! Granted the neighborhood isn’t prime- but the location is! The B & B is convenient to the freeway and easy driving distance to the prime locations around town. The B &B works in conjunction with a theater group, which is a definite plus and the productions are a must do! Our stay was during October a Sweetest Day surprise for me. A bit of scary fun balanced with a dash of romance. We took advantage of attending the production “An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe” in the small theater downstairs. The production was professional and a powerful performance! The Inn has a reputation for being haunted and during our stay it was cleverly decorated for Halloween. The atmosphere and reputation along with the “Poe” production provided a great experience. I have been to a few B & B’s in England and Scotland and this one made me feel as if I was back in Europe!

Overall- the B & B is run with thoughtfulness, playfulness and polish. The Inn is clean, comfortable and the breakfast was great! Even if you don’t decide to stay- it’s well worth the trip to see the inside or attend one of the Theater productions (you don’t have to stay at the B & B to attend the productions). Tonja, Anita and Tom a great big Thank -You for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if the room has the bathroom en suite. The Blue room we stayed did not. The bathro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Brumder Mansion is one of the most interesting and beautiful B&Bs we have ever stayed at. Its was a quiet and cozy place to come home to after a night on milwaukee boat lines and dinner at molly cools. Tonja our host was so wonderful to us and very accomidating. We stayed on the third floor and enjoyed a the spa tub and the fireplace in our room. The breakfast that was served to us at the time we requested was wonderful, and I would go back again just for the meal. Overall our stay was one of the most enjoyable we have ever had and will go back again when we have another opportunity to stay in downtown Milwaukee. Thank you Brumder

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!