“Business trip from Milwaukee, WI to Grand Rapids, MI” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Express

Lake Express
2330 S. Lincoln Memorial Dr., Milwaukee, WI 53207 (Bay View)
866-914-1010
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 64 Activities in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Business trip from Milwaukee, WI to Grand Rapids, MI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Took Lake Express for first time on a (long) one day business trip to Grand Rapids. A very good experience overall, would take the trip again for any business on west side of Michigan. The main cabin is very nice, galley has food/beer/wine, movie was shown each way for small fee. I took my car, they made it very easy. Have heard from others that cancellations do occur based on weather, that seems to be the downside.

Visited May 2014

Mount Pleasant
“Return from WI to MI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I were returning from Lake Geneva, WI to the Grand Rapids, MI area. Her back was bothering her, so a car ride of over an hour was especially painful. By taking the ferry we had two one hour car trips with the ferry trip in between. The ferry was quite new and the terminal was comfortable. Although the cost was considerably more than driving the entire trip, the convenience was very nice.

Visited May 2014
Holland, Michigan
“Lake Express Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I rode the Lake Express ferry round trip from Muskegon to Milwaukee on a weekend in early October. It was a great experience. I would definitely recommend the ferry to others looking to avoid the drive through Chicago. The crossing is only 2.5 hours, the passenger cabin is spacious and comfortable, and there are food and drinks available for purchase if you wish. The boarding and disembarking processes are smooth and efficient and the ferry generally arrives on time. My tip would be to be sure to bring a jacket as it can be chilly if you wish to stand on the open air deck (and A/C in the cabin). Note, the lake Express sign in Muskegon is a bit small and easy to miss the first time.

Visited October 2013
NJ
“Would take it again in a heartbeat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My mother and I took this trip recently, heading from the east coast to Lake Geneva. The ferry seemed like a good option since it would cut down on a full day’s driving, so it shortened our trip considerably. For us, it was a bit tricky logistically, since my mother uses a wheelchair, and we were taking the car. But it couldn’t have been easier. I dropped her off, she was checked in and brought on by the crew, while I got in line, and drove the car on. I then joined her on the ferry, and even though the weather wasn’t so great on the way over, it was well worth the expense to save time.

The HC bathroom was also good; large enough to accommodate her and the chair with room to spare. And we repeated the drop off/check in process on our return trip. Yes, it was expensive, but it made our 3rd day of travel much more bearable and had the added advantage of being able to avoid Chicago and its traffic altogether.

Visited October 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
14 attraction reviews
“If it's sailing, get on it!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

At $95 per person with or without a car and the additional cost it represents, this is not cheap but compaired to driving from Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Holland or Kalamazoo, MI to get to Wisconsin through Chicago, it is worth it. It may even compare favorably to the cost of gas and certainly the anguish. The ferry is very comfortable with superb seating and table tops plus a snack bar and televisions. It does not cross Lake Michigan year round so call first. If you are taking a car across, a reservation is a must.
This is two and a half hour trip (given time difference going West) but it is leisurely. I read and I napped. Enterprise rents cars on either side of the trip, but make a reservation.

Visited September 2013