First let me say much of what happened is my own fault for not researching the place & reading what others had to say. As we were traveling to the B&B we noticed the neighborhood seemed quite run down. As we turned onto the street which the B&B is on there were several houses w/boarded up windows. Across the street from the B&B are apartments which appear to be low income housing. We passed many police cars on the way to the B&B, all of this made us question the safety of the neighborhood. I made the big mistake of asking Laura if it was safe. She did become defensive & told me it was the city & there should be police everywhere....anyway we got off on the wrong foot to say the least.
She then proceeded to explain the tier system that they charge people. I am sorry but it felt like bait & switch. I understand paying more for a better room, but paying more so she'll recommend a restaurant rather than just give a free book about Milwaukee to you? This isn't our first stay at a B&B but it is the first time to encounter this type of treatment.
It would be to the B&B's advantage to stop this tier business & just charge everyone more up front rather than nickel & diming them. You really are treated differently if you go w/the basic Groupon which we had received as a gift.
Another problem was we shared a bathroom w/another room up there. We didn't know or ask ahead of time if our room would have it's own bathroom(my fault again). The doors all creaked & my husband & I felt we were waking everyone up by going to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
It wasn't what we expected & therein lies the problems.
OK, now the good ....the decorating is lovely, they have done much work to restore it to it's original glory & it shows. Our bed was comfy (Lone Star), and nicely decorated. Breakfast was very good with multiple choices & we did have a bottle of wine during our stay which was included.
However when we returned back to the mansion after a day of sightseeing, the thought of staying another night, sharing the bathroom(unfortunately my husband & I get up during the night), was so undesirable we left early & ended our stay at the B&B.
I can not recommend this place b/c of the tier system & treating people differently based on the price they pay. Again, I understand paying more for a tour of the mansion, but you can't recommend a restaurant?? Makes no sense, they need to change their policy & just charge more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Schuster Mansion is the newest B&B in Milwaukee's Historic Concordia Neighborhood. Converted to luxury apartments in the 20s, owners/innkeepers Rick & Laura Sue take great pride in returning this architectural gem to its original splendor. Situated just 5 minutes from downtown, it's the perfect destination for your private weekend getaway. Our spacious Victorian suites will surround you in luxury and our wonderful homemade breakfasts can be enjoyed at your private in-suite breakfast table. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Schuster Mansion Hotel Milwaukee
- Schuster Mansion Bed And Breakfast