“Downton Abby in Milwaukee” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3209 West Wells Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Hollywood, Florida
“Downton Abby in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This business trip turned into a joy as I was taken back in time to the early 1900's. I can not find the right words to describe this wonderful experience. The owners were great. They provided a quiet, relaxing atmosphere with the best food ever received from any hotel I have stayed at on a business trip. Their prices were cheaper than staying downtown and their location is in a quiet neighborhood. All my future trips to Milwaukee will include a stay at Downton Abby in Milwaukee.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect for anyone's taste and needs for a restful night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Huntley, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a great time spending the weekend with Laura & Rick. They are welcoming, fun, and really know the history of the mansion. We went back in time for a couple of days, and it was a nice change of pace to our usual hotel stays in Milwaukee. They pamper you, feed you great food, and treat you like family. The place has so much history, and they are doing a wonderful job in restoring it. It's comfortable, cozy, and has the best Chocolate Chip cookies ever. We will definitely be going back. Thanks Laura & Rick for sharing your home with us!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a different feel, so make sure to read the details before making your choice. We...
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Two of my lady friends and I enjoyed high tea and a tour yesterday. It was the perfect way to celebrate one of my friend's birthday. We felt so welcomed and nutured! The food was lovely and the atmosphere superb!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I just spent two days at this fabulous getaway and said it was nice to be so pampered for awhile. Inside this ornately decorated house, it felt like a sanctuary from the bussle of big city life. We both spent the first evening reading by a fireplace enjoying the quiet classical music that's always there. The next night we drove a mere fifteen minutes to an edgy restaurant downtown where we enjoyed world class cuisine. Milwaukee has a lot to offer and the Schuster Mansion is a nice place to relax and recharge between outings to the city. Laura Sue is a charming hostess. The only drawback to our time was the rainy weather. Despite that we toured the Milwaukee Public Museum, Miller Brewery, the Pabst Museum and a couple of other older homes. Word needs to get out about this exciting city and this elegant bed and breakfast. Before I close, I wanted to mention we got to choose our breakfast from a few different selections as well as the time we wanted it served. She is a pleasant hostess who works hard for each customer. My wife and I both said it was a pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: There was a bit of construction and not all suggestions of our GPS could be followed
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Schuster Mansion for 2 nights in the Serenity Suite. Upon arrival we were greeted by Laura Sue, owner and she graciously sat us down to get all the paperwork check-in requests done, and a chance to get to know our new temporary home. (This allowed us the ability to enjoy the suite until check out time, not fretting over payments in the end of our stay.)

The attention to detail throughout this mansion is striking. More time was spent visually enjoying the fine detail and perfectly placed period antiques and decorations throughout, than just casually walking through. Laura Sue personally hand-cut hundreds of gold stars from wallpaper that were tactfully placed on our ceiling and walls in the Serenity suite and other rooms throughout the mansion that accented the mood portrayed by each room's theme. Our hot tub was extra large and had his/hers robes awaiting after exit, again adding to the fine experience of our stay. The bottle of wine was perfect icing on the cake.

We LOVED the 3 tiered service plan. (We wish all B&B's offered this). We chose the premier package. The history tour was fascinating and detailed. It left me thirsting to know more about the Schuster Family, as it was told with passion and respect of an era gone by of Milwaukee wealth and family ties. We had full tea/coffee delivered to our room with ALL the fixings. I felt like a princess. A simple knock on the door and announcement of "Goodmorning" meant hot tea, steaming warm fresh from the oven breads with whipped topping, all the condiments including fine china and linens made waking up that much better! Served when WE wanted it to be delivered! Top that off with an additional gourmet breakfast of 3 choices what time we chose to eat. What more could one ask for?

Premier also included tips and tricks of area places to see and do. Even being from the Milwaukee area ourselves, we found places we would have never known existed. It made our weekend get-a-way top notch.

One must overlook the negative reviews for the Schuster Mansion, as with any hotel/motel, there are policies and cancellation fees that are put in place for a reason so the top notch experience that a Bed and Breakfast offers can truly be enjoyed. My husband and I will definately be back to enjoy some more fine pampering that Laura Sue and Rick offer through their gorgeous home.

Room Tip: The website has photos and detailed info. The pictures don't do it justice.
Elgin, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Me and my fiance were looking for a place to stay for a weekend outing in Milwaukee. I usually don't even bother with looking up the bed and breakfasts in the areas we travel in since they are generally way out of our price range. I happened upon the Schuster Mansion on the TripAdvisor website and I decided to look into it for fun. Turns out the prices were very low so I decided to book the weekend. I booked the Prairie Sky suite that is in the tip-top turret of the mansion along with another small room that share a common bathroom. I've got to say that I was very worried about sharing a bathroom with another couple since we would probably both be going out on the town and needing the mirror, and the shower, and the sink, and not to mention the toilet at the same time and it might get uncomfortable. We were lucky though that the others seemed to have a different schedule and ended up not seeing them once during our stay, except in the dining room. This inconvenience is the only reason I give my experience only a "Very Good" rating. If I stay there again, I will stay in one of the rooms with it's own bathroom! As for the room, it was very small with not much more space than to fit a bed and side tables but it was very warm and cozy and the clouds on the ceiling were very romantic. Anyway, the host and hostess are very accommodating and invite you to use most of their house for your own purposes. They offered us a free bottle of wine with our stay that you were allowed to go to the kitchen and get when you wanted and free cookies at your leisure. It was a very nice touch. The breakfast was a pleasing gourmet twist of sweet and salty each morning and we enjoyed it in both the formal dining room and the library where the conversation often drifted off while you got distracted by all the interesting things to look at. I believe this couple have done a great job in restoring this mansion back to it's formal glory after being gutted by previous owners and they deserve a commendation for all they have done. I enjoyed this bed and breakfast experience immensely and I just happened to get engaged while I was in the mansion :) so it will always hold a special memory for me. I hope it has the same in store for you!

Room Tip: Lonestar and Prairie Sky share a bathroom. If you want privacy, choose another suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent experience Unique, comfortable experience with welcoming hosts committed to replication of earlier era. Made to order breakfast choices with on site parking. Having friendly, no errors ball fielding dog was fun

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!