“Beware!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3209 West Wells Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
“Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Never stayed, never will. I usually have no problem with cancellation fees, but when I needed to cancel 22 days ahead of my visit, I expected a little cooperation. I have stayed at dozens of B&B's and have never been treated so poorly. This innkeeper could not justify the charge, and was rude to boot. My credit card company took care of the charge, but after the unprofessional treatment, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
schusterbnb, Owner at Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
YES BE AWARE. Our policies as far as cancellations, everything is stated on our website. And then it is restated on your confirmation letter so you are well informed and no surpasses. Most other B&B's have this very same polices. We have our polices in place for reason whether you agree with or not. To you we may seem that we are being rude, but we are just applying the polices.

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The mansion is located so close to all of what Milwaukee has to offer. The tough part is leaving the mansion. It's so inviting and the owners are fantastic! Milwaukee has a lot of theaters, museums, and events to enjoy. Coming "home" to this B & B is just the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pius room. It had a sitting room. The bed is one of the best I have ever slept on.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mundelein, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's hard to overstate how much my wife & I enjoyed our 2-night stay at the Schuster Mansion. The mansion itself is a majestic Victorian structure - just like the pictures. The inside has been beautifully decorated throughout in furnishings and colors consistent with the era in which the home was built. We stayed in the Pias suite which was wonderfully decorated. Particularly enjoyable was the four-poster bed with canopy. But we took a quick peek at 3 or 4 other suites and each was carefully finished and decorated. We were impressed with how clean and dust-free the entire home felt which is no small feat for a house of this size. The breakfasts were excellent. Not mere Continental-type breakfasts but full, satisfying breakfasts beautifully presented on fine china. We especially enjoyed being served breakfast in the sunny alcove with glass ceilings. Laura Sue and Rick are great hosts. They are present and helpful whenever needed but not hovering or over-bearing when not. The suites and mansion floor plan make it feel like if it's privacy you're looking for it's easily achieved. All-in-all it was a great experience and we're so glad that Laura Sue and Rick are restoring such a beautiful, historic home and then sharing it with the public.

Room Tip: If you enjoy waking up to morning sun (we do) the Pias suite is on the east side of the mansion.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here one Saturday night when I had dinner and an event downtown at the Pfister Hotel - just a short drive away. I arrived just to drop off my bags and take some photos of the lovely interior rooms before heading to the restaurant. Unfortunately I did not return until about 1 a.m., and then I had to leave in the morning by 10:30. But I got an excellent night's sleep in a lovely room - the Prairie Sky Room on the top floor, with a shared bathroom. Such interesting decor! Very thoughtfully done. It was nice to have a choice of packages - since I had so little time to spend (and most of it sleeping), I did not get the breakfast, but selected the economy rate. This was just perfect for my situation. The resident dog was a sweetie. About the neighborhood - not the worst I've seen, but not somewhere I'd recommend going for a walk at night. My car (a luxury export) was parked with other guests' cars in the little lot behind the house all evening and night (a friend picked me up & brought me back) - and it was fine. You're in the city - just be cautious. (There was a domestic incident in an apt. building across the street the morning of my arrival that made the news, but that could happen in almost any neighborhood these days...) I would be happy to stay here again - and next time I would make sure I took the time to enjoy this beautifully decorated home.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

While there's still room for improvement, The Schuster Mansion offers a rare opportunity to stay in a gilded age mansion. I was really impressed with the house when I first walked in, the Christmas decor was stunning. The wood work in the house was exceptional. The owners have done a fantastic job of saving and restoring an architectural gem in Milwaukee. It was a glimpse into late 1800's life and luxury. Our room was large & it was really 4 rooms in one. The service was exceptional, they went above and beyond what was promised. The food was restaurant quality, maybe better. Plenty of free parking. The neighborhood may not be ideal, but it's nicely located within a mile or two of many world class attractions like Miller Park, The Milwaukee Art Museum, Miller Brewery, The Pabst Mansion, Marquette University, Lake Michigan and too many more to mention. Thanks to Laura Sue and Rick for lovingly restoring this gem that otherwise may have gone the way of the wrecking ball.

Room Tip: Richard's Den is almost too big, it could easily sleep a family of 5 or maybe more. Laura Sue...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I am retired and love to travel visiting B&B's throughout the nation. The Schuster Mansion is by far the most lovely B&B I have visited. It is incredible and you feel like you have been transported back into time. I stayed 3 weeks in all and felt like I was part of Rick and Laura Sue's family. I just could not bring myself to leave! Every effort was made to make sure I was comfortable and the breakfast each morning was incredible too. If I come back to Milwaukee I would not consider staying anywhere else and not because of just the Mansion. It was the warmth of the service provided! My wife attended the High Tea and found it a lot of fun and enjoyed Laura Sue's discussion of the Mansion very much. She would highly recommend it for an entertaining afternoon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Muskego, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A group of women and myself recently attended an afternoon "High Tea" at The Schuster Mansion. The whole place was decorated from top to bottom for Christmas. Upon walking in it was like walking back in time, the wall papers, dark woods, high curved ceilings homes from a by gone simpler era, simply beautiful. Once we were seated for tea (which begins promptly at 1:00pm) we were given a short history of "High Tea" and explanation of the teas we would be sampling. On our tables were beautiful china plates and cups along with the menu for that day. The food was outstanding, sandwiches, desserts and the scones were the best I have ever eaten, served with clotted cream a warm berry jam. During lunch we were given a history of the mansion and afterward a complete tour of the building. It was a wonderful way to spend a day of food and friends. If you enjoy tea with a bit of history and elegance this is it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!