“Wish my stay had been longer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast

You added Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3209 West Wells Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Wish my stay had been longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I confess, I only reserved at this B&B because it was the least-expensive thing I could find near downtown Milwaukee. But what a lucky find! This house is decorated in Victorian style, but isn't overdone as so many B&Bs are. I felt comfortable sitting on the porch or slipping off my sandals in the living room. I had a truly relaxing night in the Prairie Sky room and a great shower in the shared bathroom (I always craved a claw-footed tub as a kid). It was nice to have so many choices for breakfast, and I enjoyed the food and tea--I even bought some of the tea to bring home.

The neighborhood is a vibrant place with lots of young families around--not a rarefied atmosphere. I love to see kids outside playing. So I wouldn't be concerned about reviews that suggest it's a bit "rough". It really isn't. Also, I walked there from the RiverWalk--it isn't exactly walking distance--but it's a very short drive!

I hope to stay here again, or visit for a tea! Everyone at the wedding I attended who heard me or my friend talk about this place said "I wish I had stayed there!"

Room Tip: The Prairie Sky room is very small, but more than adequate for one person. Two people would have to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Baraboo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Perfect in every way! Only complaint? No working bathtub in Laura Sue Suite which we really missed on a cold winters night (minus 5 degrees) after touring and shopping in Milwaukee. Thank you Laura Sue and Rick for a terrific 2 night stay. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Summit County, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My son and I spent one night at the Schuster Mansion on our way to Lambeau (to attend the Giants’ game). While the game was lousy, the Mansion was delightful. I will not repeat here all of the Mansion’s good points made in prior reviews. I rather write to encourage you to book directly with the Mansion (vs. using third-party web sites) so as to ensure you get what you want – and no more.
There are two things you need to know about the Schuster Mansion. One is that each room/suite is unique and very different from each other. The second is that the Mansion has three different classes of service: Economy (room only + free parking); Standard - $20 more (adds breakfast); and Premier – another $20 more (that includes additional services).
I made the mistake of booking a room using a third-party website. Fortunately, I sent an email to the owners to confirm the reservation. Laura Sue responded by asking whether I really wanted the room I booked as it had only a full bed (No!). Knowing that we would arrive later in the evening and be leaving early in the morning, she further asked whether we really wanted the Premier service (No!). These details/options were not readily available on third-party hotel websites.
Don’t make the mistake I nearly did. I therefore encourage you to book your reservation by contacting the Mansion directly (whether phone or email). Only by this direct contact can you be assured you have the right room and level of service – for your particular needs.
My son and I agree that choosing the breakfast option (Standard) was well worth the $20 added cost for the room. We were given three very different options for breakfast, and what we ordered was terrific.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Saint Francis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

A friend and I were in Milwaukee to see the Cleopatra exhibit at the Milwaukee Public Museum and stayed three nights at this fun bed and breakfast. Rick and Laura Sue and wonderful "caretakers" of this historical home. It has truly been a labor of love for them and it shows. Unfortunately, the home was refitted as an apartment building for many years so the original layout and design has been somewhat lost. But that also means the individual suites are more than one room...nice for guests who appreciate a little more room.

The price is competitive, but be aware that there are three levels of pricing. You can have (1) just the room with no breakfast, (2) the room with breakfast, (3) the room with breakfast, a free tour of the mansion (otherwise $8), coffee brought to your room, and concierge service. Laura Sue is the sweetest person ever. We loved getting to know her and her wonderful husband Rick. I was a bit surprised at what she considers concierge service, though. Apparently just asking about local restaurants or activities is considered concierge service which was a bit of a surprise to me. I think of concierge service as someone actually making reservations or getting a cab or tour guide lined up for me. Since you are reading this on Tripadvisor, look up activities in the area on your own. For places to eat, if you drive east down Wells (street the B&B is on), you will go right through the campus of Marquette University and there are lots of places to eat. Check out the Milwaukee Public Market for a fun meal (especially the $13.95 lobster meal at St. Paul Fish Market). Go to the Pabst Mansion, Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee Art Museum, etc. TA has all of these listed. You can't go wrong. We went to the Milwaukee Repertory Theater and loved it. There are lots of different stages and venues, so do check that out.

Other than that, this B&B sets the bar pretty high. Not all B&Bs carry your luggage up for you or let you into the kitchen, let you make coffee anytime, etc. Laura Sue and Rick do! You can even go into the fridge and get things (cream for your coffee, leftovers you put in there the night before, etc.). Most B&Bs prefer you stay out of the kitchen and I can see that. This is just a bit different. Rick and Laura Sue are proud of their mansion and they should be. We opted to take the $8 tour of the mansion and it was worth it. It's fun to see the rooms and hear about the history. If you are staying there and someone wants a tour, you can decide if you want them to show your room or not. That was very nice.

We stayed in the Lone Star room (Laura Sue is from Texas) and that was fine. There is a shared bath up there; but if the Prairie Sky room isn't booked, you have it to yourself which was the case with us. It was spotless and Laura Sue has fun things to look at everywhere! You can't believe what she finds and how nicely she displays everything. We were there just after Christmas and the decorations were amazing. It made it so festive and fun.

Breakfasts were great. You can choose what you want for breakfast and that's really nice. Again, this is not usual for B&Bs. You usually just come down and breakfast is served. Granted, it's usually wonderful food, but having a choice is nice. Since we were there three mornings, we got to try all three of the breakfasts. Yum! You also pay when you arrive and not when you leave. This is another thing that's a bit different from other B&Bs.

I would definitely go back and stay at the Schuster Mansion. The neighborhood did not bother us at all. We even talked to some of the people and they were very friendly. Don't let the neighborhood or other reviews dissuade you from going there. The mansion is a work in progress and it will be fun to see the changes the next time we go back. Thank you, Laura Sue and Rick!

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms are more like suites because they used to be apartments. They are working...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

It's great to see a couple living their dream and taking so much pride in what they do. The accomodations are absolutely lovely with every detail thought of, but it is their graciousness as hosts that really set this apart from most B & B experiences. Thank you, Laura Sue and Rick! We wish you much success, but not so much that we can't get a booking!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

The stay at Schuster Mansion was a retirement gift for a sister, and worth every penny. The hosts were amazing: friendly, helpful, informative, catering to us like we were royalty. The food was excellent - better than anything I've had in a hotel, fresh and made to order with allergies taken into consideration. Our friends who stayed at hotels near the Bradley Center (about 6 minutes away) were disappointed with their "high class hotel" and noted that we had free wi-fi, dvd player with a wall of movies to select, free water and complete breakfast, coffee and choice of 20+ teas brought to our room, luggage carried in and out, and an interesting historical tour. We felt like we stayed with friends, and we plan to go again.

Room Tip: We chose by room size and preference to have a bathroom in the suite. Every room was delightfully d...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My wife and I came up from Chicago to attend a show at the Riverside Theater and decided to try something different than the usual downtown hotel. We are not regular B&B patrons but thought it would be fun. Let me tell you our stay was WONDERFUL. The accomodations were beautiful with fine attention to detail. Our hosts, Laura and Richard, could not have been nicer. They welcomed us like old friends. We decided to have our breakfast brought up to our suite and it was delicious. Their dog, Isaak an adorable Corgi, kept us company while we ate.
The house is less than a ten minute drive from downtown with plenty of free on site parking. This is not a place to miss. Thanks again!

Room Tip: The Schuster has suites large enough to handle parties of 4 or 6 people.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Schuster Mansion Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!