“Fine for a single night stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 W Zellman Court, Milwaukee, WI 53221   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Houston, Texas
“Fine for a single night stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

First, my GPS was spot on for this location. The hotel is advertised as an airport hotel, and the location is mostly industrial. Our stay was a Sunday night and the hotel was very quiet. Other than the typical breakfast options, this property wasn’t like other Holiday Inn Express I’ve seen. The rooms are built around an indoor pool area, and the décor is a dated. I’m not sure what the property was in its former life. The hotel in general seemed clean, and the staff we encountered were pleasant and efficient.

We had a room with two queen beds, and while not very spacious, it was adequate. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. My biggest issue about this room though, was the lighting. It was dark. Really dark. I don’t believe I’ve ever been in a hotel with such poor lighting. I appreciate energy efficient bulbs, but these were so “efficient” they almost didn’t put out any light at all. Reading in the room was impossible, whether by the bedside lamp or desk lamp. The bathroom was the only place with bright enough light, but I didn’t particularly want to read in there.

Most hotels now encourage conservation and invite guests to hang up towels for reuse – which I really appreciate. This hotel had the little hanging sign in the bathroom announcing the hotel’s participation. But, there was no towel hanger on the back of the bathroom door or on the wall. Oh wait. There was one… right over the towel rack. Wet bath towels have to hang in front of the hand towels! I found it a particularly poor design. (But I also find it a ridiculous trend these days that in order to make the bathroom space architecturally pleasing, hand towel racks are either non-existent or are placed across the room from the sink. It’s just not user-friendly for guests.)

Breakfast on Monday morning was typical HIX fare, but wasn’t well stocked. The biscuits had been under the warmer so long they were very hard, and the sausage gravy looked like it had seen better days. Fortunately, typical fare also includes cereal and yogurt so we didn’t go away hungry.

My overall opinion is that if I were on a business trip I would most likely have checked out after one night and gone elsewhere, but it was fine for a quick overnight airport stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brock W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Anothernite,

First off I want to thank you for the review. Our guests are what make our business go and with out reviews we would not be able to improve.

You did mention about the lighting in the room. We will be evaluating the type of light bulbs we have in the room so that we can make the rooms look brighter so it is better to read. We have always been a Holiday Inn Express our design is just out of the normal cookie cutter design.

I am glad that you enjoyed your night stay here but we would like you to want to stay here if you were here for a week.

My email is bwinkler@wiscohotels.com and I would like to hear from you on how we can improve to make your stay a better one for the next time you are in the area.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Baraboo, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here the night before traveling our of MKE airport. It is conveniently located and provides free shuttle service to and from the airport. You can leave your car parked here also while traveling at no additional charge. The room was comfortable. Did not have the morning breakfast as my suttle left at 5:00 AM.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear MarkoPolo3,

I want to thank you for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed your short trip with us and that you enjoyed the shuttle.

We hope to see you again in the future!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Three adults and two children stayed in a suite that had a frig, large screen tv, two queen beds and a set of bunk beds, in a separate area with another tv. Good size bathroom with the sink inside the bathroom.

Extremely clean upon arrival and housekeeping did a great job every day.

Breakfast area was full most days over the weekend but I never saw anyone waiting for a table. Flow of the food area was congested but manageable. Usual fare for a complimentary breakfast with the addition of pancake maker instead of the usual waffle maker. Chocolate milk was available one day, yogurt and hard boiled eggs every day. Would have liked to had granola as a cereal option.

Front desk went above and beyond accommodating our group since two arrived a day early and stayed a day longer which required room changes. Management had the new rooms ready before 11 am both days so we could move our luggage before we headed out for the day. We were also allowed to have keys to two suites to decide if we wanted the king with the pullout couch or the doubles with the bunk beds. The king room smelled like smoke even though it is a non-smoking hotel.

Lobby area is nice but smelled of a too-strong fruity scented cleaner. Computers in lobby did not work. Internet is free and accessible in the rooms.

Pool area is huge, wrist bands are required but not checked. Hot tub was super hot and the pool is a shallow pool complete with a water play area and basketball hoops. An attendant was on site supervising, but was tucked in a corner and didn't see glass bottles on the deck or young children in the hot tub (both against posted rules). Some first floor rooms open out to the pool. We were on the third floor overlooking the pool but could not hear the noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bdaygirl,

I want to thank you for reviewing us on. We pride ourselves on customer service and and our front desk is very good at making sure that our guests are comfortable and enjoying the time they spend with us. Our lobby is scented to smell fresh which is provided by IHG. We usually have the first few days when we replace them that it really is noticable.

Im also glad you enjoyed the room and there was no noise. The windows facing the pool are very good at keeping the noise level down so that you and other guests are able to enjoy your room and have a good night sleep.

Thank you again!
Winneconne, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have stayed here before and had nothing but great service from the staff!

This time the Holiday Inn express and suites raised the bar even higher with a 2 hour happy hour from 5:30-7:30 Monday thru Thursday at NO additional charge ( except tips if you deem appropriate, and I did!! )

Complimentary breakfast is top notch with some changes daily with the hot foods such as bacon/sausage/pancakes/waffles/omelets/scrambled eggs/fruit/cereal/all drinks/juices/milks/yogurts/plus/plus/plus-etc!

The appearance and quality of the building's workmanship is only exceeded by the employees desire to make your stay as enjoyable as possible!! This is higher end!

Just got done with a 2 day stay today and I will be back for 2 more visits THIS month!

Room Tip: No noise to be concerned with on any side of the building!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brock W, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Icemann7485,

I want to thank you for the kind comments. We have recently added the Managers Reception to provide our loyal IHG Rewards Members with an added perk. I am glad to see that you are enjoying it.

I am also glad that you enjoyed the service from our staff as well as our breakfast. Our employees take pride in the hotel to make sure it stays clean and comfortable for you and other travelers.

Thank you again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was a very nice stay. We enjoyed every aspect of the time that we spent here. It is nice to know that Holiday Inn Express Hotels will consistently deliver quality services and accomodations. The staff at this hotel were extremely pleasant and professional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brock W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear vbchjohn,

I want to thank you for the kind review. We will always try to provide our guests with the service that they expect. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the time that you spent here.

I want to thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Milwaukee!

MADISON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the time iI walked into the hotel and left the hotel, the staff, cleanliness, etc. was very satisfying. I ended up staying two seperate weeks in July, 2013. The bar, pool and finess center were very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brock W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Clarke J,

I want to thank you for the review. I am gald that you enjoyed the stay and that you keep coming back. I am also glad that you enjoyed the fitness center as well as the pool.

We look forward to your next trip in Milwaukee!

Normal, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We drove in late and left very early so this was a quick stay. As Platinum member, enabled us to have free parking during our trip. Close to airport and shuttle was on time and driver found us finishing breakfast about 5-10 minutes before departure. we had brought our bags just in case and glad we did. Shuttle stops at several hotels so plan accordingly, but fortunately, our 6:30am departure was such no other stops were made at other hotels, so its was a very quick trip to airport. drivers were both friendly and helpful with bags. Breakfast was standard HIE which is a good thing. Upon returning, we waited maybe 15 mins for shuttle and when dropped off, straight to car and left. Car was safe and secure. Beds were comfortable and had good nights rest. Room on 2nd floor and overlooked pool area, which was closed due to hours so no noise factor for us. Room (2Q) clean and spacious.

Room Tip: end of hallway away from elevators and vending is always our preferred choice and worked well in thi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Steelers1,

I want to thank you for the review. Our shuttle drivers are very good with helping out our guests and I am also glad that you enjoyed your stay with us even though it was not the longest trip. I am also glad that you were able to get a good nights rest since you had to wake up early in the morning.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your next trip.

Brock Winkler

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee Airport? Share your experiences!