“Conveniently located” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
New York
“Conveniently located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is partially a residential hotel - i.e., some people stay there long-term. The rooms [or, rather, studios] are appropriately furnished, although a bit dingy. Mine looked into a courtyard, so was short on daylight. Kitchen very well equipped, everything was quite clean. No big problems to report - the parking seems a bit of a rip-off [$8 per day, self-parking]. This place definitely has some old-school charm. The breakfast 'lounge' looks like it leapt out from a Norman Rockwell picture. A nice 10-minute walk to the museum.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lake Delton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stay here every year for Summerfest and have always had a nice experience. Staff seems cold at first, but then warm up after speaking with them for a bit. The rooms are newly renovated, and the air is always blasting - which is nice on those hot summer days. We are able to park our car overnight for $8 and take a 15 minute walk to the Summerfest grounds. Very nice location and the hotel has a lot of character.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Can't say enough good things about the Plaza Hotel. I was a bit reticent at first after seeing the 3.5 star overall review and some of the negative individual reviews, but decided to give it a go anyway. As is so often the case, the experience depends on your perspective. If you want a five-star lodging experience with all modern amenities, you might be disappointed. But if you appreciate a unique, retro hotel with vintage art deco touches that is reasonably priced and centrally located, you will be pleased.

We stayed on the second floor (I think room #234), and the one flight up was no trouble. The WIFI, unlike others' experiences, worked without a hitch. Someone else mentioned the lack of mirrors - ours had a nice mirror in a space outside of the bathroom in addition to the one in the bathroom, so that problem may have been resolved.

Our room had a great little kitchenette (which I think is the case for all rooms) so we could stock up on grocery items at an excellent gourmet grocery store across the street behind the hotel (ask at the desk for directions) to save on breakfast. But when we wanted to eat out, we enjoyed FABULOUS breakfasts in the hotel restaurant on the main floor. Can't say enough good things about that place. Art deco charm/décor again, coupled with great service and excellent, gourmet breakfast choices. The $2.50 discount coupon per day just made it that much better.

Some reviewers complained about parking fees - I honestly felt the $8 per-day fee was well worth the ease of having a place for our car every day without hassle. We literally walked everywhere in town except for places like the Harley Davidson Museum and Miller/Coors tour that were a little farther out, and we loved that we didn't have to jockey our car around town every day and pay a premium at meters.

I highly recommend the Plaza if you are into historical buildings (that might have a few dings and bumps that add to the charm), want a value-based hotel, and like to be in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: We heard you might not want a room over the kitchen, so maybe avoid that. You can also use the fan f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Westport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the Plaza Hotel in downtown Milwaukee for 5 nights with our children in April. (last month). I just wanted to share what a wonderful stay we had. It is conveniently located. A unique historic hotel that has recently been renovated. We stayed in a suite, perfect for our children to be in a connected room. It was very spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bonus was the amazing breakfast at the The Cafe. We typically like to venture out for breakfast, but the food was wonderful and we ate there every morning. We loved staying there, and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Milwaukee. Great place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Typically I don't write a review but I just had too. Called front desk to reserve room and asked if there was free parking and a roll away bed. He advised me there was. When I got there the parkign was $8 and the roll away bed was $10. To top if off the front desk guy though he was a comedian. The rooms was filthy. I called and asked for a wake up call never got one making me late for my meeting the next morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I could not have been happier with my week long stay at The Plaza. The building was just incredible in an awesome historic way. Neat lobby, with extremely pleasant and helpful staff. I had read a lot of complaints about the wifi but I didn't have a single problem and it was lightning fast. The cherry on top in the Cafe at the Plaza. Incredible food from breakfast til 2pm each day with very reasonable prices for such awesome food. When I come back to Milwaukee this will be my go-to hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Spokane, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The building has a lot of charm. It's old and in a really beautiful location (Milwaukee's East Town neighborhood), and it's also safe (basically in the middle of the MSOE campus). The hotel is convenient - a block away from a supermarket and several bus lines, and five blocks from downtown, the Milwaukee Art Museum, and Lake Michigan. It is also down the street from a really yummy Greek cafe. In fact, I ate dinner there almost every night because it was delish! Anyway, the lobby of the hotel is covered by a huge rug with a huge, gross stain on it. I think they should probably fix that because it looks bad. The room was nice enough. My bed was super-comfy and I loved the attached kitchen. (Money-saving tip: go to the Metro Market and get cereal and milk and just eat breakfast in your room every day!) My bathroom was clean, but the shower/bathtub was horrible. The shower would not work unless the bathtub faucet was going at full strength, and that caused the bathtub to fill up. My shower ritual was to wash as quickly as I could in the shower and then wait for the tub to drain so I could wash my hair under the faucet. Very annoying, but I didn't complain to staff about it because I was already unpacked and weary after a 40-hour train journey. The building is also half-hotel and half-apartments. My room was near the residents' back entrance and the door slammed constantly. Every time the door slammed, by windows shook and it scared the crap out of me. Residents also smoked right outside my window near their bike rack area. I could smell it every time, because the room's windows didn't really close all the way. Anyway, those are all of my complaints. Try to get a room AWAY from the back entrance. Oh, a nice plus is the coin-op laundry they have in the basement - soap and dryer sheets for sale, too! I was able to hit up my next location with clean clothes.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the back entrance. Check your bathtub and shower before you unpack and m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BARNCA, Director of Sales at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
It is most unfortunate that the front desk was not advised on the bathroom issue, as well as the smoking. The guest would have been moved to another room and the faucet issue repaired.
There is a designated smoking area in the parking lot, away from the hotel. Smokers would have been asked to leave the area near the hotel. Also, the rug in the lobby is less than a year old and is of very good quality and cleaned/vacuumed daily. The "stain" was mistaken for the nap in the rug. Depending on where you are standing in the lobby, the nap looks different. The lobby has a lot of natural light that contributes to the look as well.

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!