“Great location and great value!” 4 of 5 stars

The Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1007 North Cass Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Buffalo Grove, IL
“Great location and great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Plaza was a wonderful hotel for our weekend in Milwaukee. We were there for the weekend to go the a concert, visit the state fair and then just visit Milwaukee as I had never been. The Plaza was a perfect location away from your typical downtown environment. It was close walking distance to almost anything that we wanted to do. The only downside really for The Plaza was the comfort of the bed and pillows. They could have been a little softer, however I was still able to sleep through the night so it wasn't a deal breaker. The kitchenette was nice since we were there for the weekend...we were able to take some snacks and drinks of our own and keep them cold in a full size refrigerator.

I would definitely stay at The Plaza again when visiting Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Away from foot traffic (i.e. stair) as the floors are creaky Away from the cafe
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago and all over
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Plaza Hotel is not your generic chain hotel -- whether high-end or low-end. It doesn't feature a pool for the kids, high-end shampoos and soaps, a business center, or a fitness "room" (you know, the closest-sized "center" where the treadmill faces a wall). But it does have charm, comfort, and a fabulous cafe, and it is in a darned good location -- a location featuring a fitness "center" that encompasses the vast lakefront trail system. Other reviewers have commented on how aspects of their rooms seemed woefully outdated and/or not functional. Our room seemed to have benefited from the recent renovation effort and included a highly functional air conditioning unit.

Let's break down the pluses and minuses, shall we?

The minuses:

- Although our room was huge, the bathroom was tiny with only one hook for hanging towels and such and no hanging bars. While adding bars might be tricky in this tiny space, adding more hooks would be both possible and very helpful.
- Our room adjoined the cafe's courtyard, and starting early in the morning (maybe 6:30?), there was quite a racket. If you need to be up anyway or can sleep through anything, this is not a problem. Otherwise, ask for a room in a different location or use the fan on the AC unit as a white-noise cover-up.

The pluses:

+ A charming 1920s building in a great location, within walking distance of the lake, the art museum and other downtown draws.
+ Competent customer service, including a bonus for us: an unexpected room upgrade.
+ Nicely appointed rooms, including a huge closet.
+ Easy parking (although it is extra $).
+ A cafe serving up scrumptious breakfast and lunch -- whose main drawback is that it is not open for early evening cocktails. (Perhaps this would make life worse for the people staying in rooms next to the courtyard?)
+ Good value for the price, especially in the peak of high season.

When we return to Milwaukee, it is likely that we'll stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The plaza hotel is located very close to the city center but it is nice that it is located in more of a residential area. I went to summerfest and it proved to be the perfect spot to walk to and from. The staff, particularly the gentleman at the front desk with longer hair, were very kind and helpful. The breakfast is excellent and not too expensive. The rooms were great for what we needed them for. This is not a luxury hotel but they do a great job to get you everything you might want in a room and you can tell they pay attention to feedback and constantly improve.

Overall, I was quite impressed and don't have one complaint for what we paid.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
West Bend, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My wife and I needed a place to stay close to the art museum in downtown Milwaukee. Not knowing this Hidden gem was easy to get to EVERY attraction in Downtown Milwaukee! The room was larger than a standard hotel room, and had all the accoutrements of an efficiency apartment (Microwave, Fridge, and Stove). Sadly we did not get a chance to utilize any of these luxuries, as included in our stay was a coupon for discounted breakfast downstairs. It was the best breakfast in Milwaukee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'm a frequent traveler & have stayed in many Milwaukee hotels. I wouldn't stay at this one again until some major issues are resolved, BUT I do not dislike this place. I'll start by telling you what the Plaza is doing right. The front desk staff were the only hotel employees with whom I had contact. They were always genuinely friendly (not fake or forced). Our room was on the first floor & had good security bars on the windows for added safety- even though I would not characterize this as a particularly dangerous area. The neighborhood was quiet- even on a weekend night. They use a decent quality bed linen. And there is plenty of closet space. The hotel is close to everything we wanted while we were there for Pridefest. I have to say that even though our group was obviously gay, the staff didn't make us feel uncomfortable at all at this hotel. Pridefest was even listed on the "Events" sheet in the room's information book. There is a grocery store, liquor store & pharmacy right around the corner on a parallel street. Even if I don't stay here again, I would come by to eat at the cafe. The girls in my party who ate there were very impressed with the food.

The Plaza is in a very old building. We had creaking floors, cracked tiles & worn carpeting. There was an incessent beeping from the smoke alarm right outside our room during our entire stay. But the real issues with our stay were 1) The clerk did not ask for my name or my ID when I locked myself out. She took my word for what room I was in- even though she was not the clerk on duty when I left. I could have been anybody. Granted, I don't look like a criminal, but I've heard horror stories about people gaining access to hotel rooms this way. They need a procedure in place for lockouts. 2) There are NO full-length mirrors. In fact the only mirror was a small one at face level in the bathroom. Mirrors are really cheap. And it was ABSOLUTELY horrible for all of us women trying to get dressed without one. 3) When we asked about parking, the clerk told us there was only street parking. That meant we had to park & re-park to meet the 2 hour time limits on the signs. What a hassle!

Those are all repairable issues, so I hope the management will be able to address them. This has the potential to be a much better hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
BARNCA, Director of Sales at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
The Plaza Hotel is in the process of updating furnishings, etc. Full length mirrors are presently being installed. The section where this guest stayed is in that process this week. There is new carpeting in the entire hotel, as well as bedding & furniture. The hotel dates to 1925 and we do have creaky floors & some cracked tiles in some areas. However, this is an extremely clean hotel. All fire alarms have been checked for beeping. The hotel procedure does have a security measure in place where an ID must be requested. In checking, the front desk person on duty had been with the property for 2 weeks and this has been addressed. The hotel also has 3 accessible parking lots within one block. There should not have been a need to park on the street. This has also been addressed with the front staff.
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I like historic buildings and hotels, so I enjoyed the look and feel of this hotel. However, the bathroom was a bit shaby, (cracked grout, leaky faucet, etc.) and our room lacked several necesseties such as an iron/ironing board, full length mirror, and a bedside table and lamp for each bed (for some strange reason, the only bedside table was on one side of one of the beds, not between the two beds.) Also, I don't know if I would stay at this hotel in the summer as I did not see any vents for A/C and there was no temp. control in the room. Pluses: the location, (quiet neighborhood near the lake) the price, kitchenette in the room, and the cafe on the first floor - we had a wonderful breakfast there one morning. Don't know that I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Maple Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The Plaza is an old building which seems to be undergoing some renovation. The front lower level, including the cafe, is very nice. (The cafe is quite good, by the way, and appears to be a be a go to choice for breakfast and lunch.) We stayed on the first floor, and the hallway and back entrance near our room needs a lot of work. the room had been renovated quite a bit, and was quite pleasant. A kitchenette was included, and all the furniture and furnishings were fairly new. The view through the window and bars to the parking lot of the next building left a lot to be desired. The room didn't have an air conditioner, so even though it is close to Lake Michigan, I imagine it could get stifling in there in the summer. (It did have a ceiling fan.) The only mirror was on the medicine cabinet, so they should think about putting up a cheap body length mirror somewhere. After having said all this though, this hotel was exactly what we were looking for - inexpensive, quiet, and a quick walk/drive to Lake Michigan, local attractions, and the fun areas of town. If you are visiting Milwaukee for the city, and don't plan on spending much time at the hotel, this is a very good place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BARNCA, Director of Sales at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Air conditioning units are placed in each guest room as soon as the weather warrants.
Full length mirrors are being installed on the bathroom doors.
Back doors are being repaired and more lighting installed in the hallways.

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!