“Plaza Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Detroit, Michigan
“Plaza Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 days at the Plaza during the April Artwalk weekend. It was a wonderful experience. The Plaza feels like a charming European hotel. Our room was beautifully revovated, extremely neat and clean, and the bed was very cushy. It even had a kitchen, which came in very handy. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Be sure to eat at least one breakfast in the Plaza Cafe - it is amazing! In addition to the hotel guests, there was always a large group of locals there every day to enjoy the fabulous omelets. One morning I tried the oatmeal raisin pancakes with vanilla creme - delicious! For the price, I think the Plaza is probably the best deal in Milwaukee. It is well located within walking distance to the lakefront, downtown, the Art Museum, and we even walked to the Historic Third Ward in about 20 minutes - which is a very pleasant walk if the weather is cooperating. Despite being so close to downtown, the neighborhood is residential, quiet, and feels very safe. Highly recommended, would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: There are really nice 2 bedroom units with kitchens on the second floor, but you have to be willing...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband & I and another couple stayed at The Plaza Hotel for our winter pub crawl. We arrived early before check in time and were able to get right into our room. We got the 2 bedroom suite, with 2 bathrooms and a kitchen. It was recently remodeled since the hotel was built in 1927 and our room was excellent! Very clean and spacious for 2 couples, the kitchen was very useful and the bedding was pristine! Two plasma tvs and free wifi. The hotel also has a small cafe diner and while the food is a little on the pricey side, it was excellent and plentiful. This hotel has it all, location, price, the cafe and a very helpful staff. We are already planning next years tour. I would also recommend the Lakefront Brewery Tour, The Romain Coin, The Nomad and The Hi Hat for the burgers!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Plaza hotel is unique, w/ the top two stories being apartments, and the bottom two being a hotel. The first room we went into was very outdated, right near the back entrance, and our deadbolt did not work. It was kind of a creepy room w/ yellow walls, and not much to it. So we called the front desk and the girl working was very nice and moved us to a MUCH nicer room which we ended up truly enjoying. The only problem with it was that we could not monitor the heating/cooling. Besides that the TV was nice, the kitchenette was nice, and we were able to keep our dog there for 50 bucks for the whole weekend. It's located in a great spot right near a HUGE park (Veterans Park) near Lake Michigan....and not a far walk from bars, etc on Water Street. Also close is the Lakefront Brewery Tour.....which was a mile walk from the hotel and an excellent time. The cafe in the hotel is awesome, great food, old school cafe style, and great service. We ate there both days w/ our $2.50 per person coupons each day. Overall the stay was great, but be careful of which room you are given at first.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This past summer, my family and I took a short trip to Milwaukee from Chicago for a family birthday party. At the last minute we decided it would be fun to spend the night in the great city. My husband never being there and my boys only being 2 we figured it would be fun to stay. Our reservation was made for us at the recomendation of our family. When we arrived at the hotel we were greated by a wonderful women with a warm smile, who handed us actual keys to our room. No swip card here. I was shocked. Upon entering our room our boys were delighted to see 2 tall, very soft, very comfortable beds. The room was very neat and had the most amazing charm. I felt like I could have been in Paris! The next morning we ate a delicious breakfast at the cafe inside the hotel. The staff was very friendly and responsive to our needs. I can't thank our family enough for the reservation and would stay there again in a minute.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I definitely recommend The Plaza on Cass Street in Milwaukee. It has a quaint retro feel with modern amenities and affordable prices. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The location is walking distance to many Milwaukee destinations and was in a safe and quiet neighborhood. My husband and I would definitely return to The Plaza!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

As a single female traveler, I am particularly attentive to places I stay where I feel safe and the Plaza is definitely a safe place. It's within walking distance of important downtown locations, breakfast at the Cafe was DELICIOUS (and locally sourced!), the staff is friendly and attentive, my room was clean and neat, and the kitchenette was perfect for what I needed on my 3-day stay. I highly recommend the Plaza and will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: There is a door to the kitchen (kitchenette) that you can close at night so you don't have to li...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Doonbeg, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I spend 4 very enjoyable nights in the Plaza. The location is perfect as it is only a 10 min walk to the lake shore or downtown. My room was spotless with a very comfortable bed, great sized closet, flat screen tv, kitchenette (the fridge was so handy for keeping drinks cool) and easy to use shower. Breakfast was wonderful in the Cafe at the Plaza and the outdoor private terrace seating was a real treat on a fine sunny morning. The staff were most obliging and welcoming. I would recommend this hotel for convenience and value for money while visiting Milwaukee.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!