“Loose the salt shaker!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loose the salt shaker!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We dined here on a recent Saturday night. I was looking forward to some good prime rib. We were seated at a table near the fireplace and drink order was taken. There was a party of 6 next to us that had been seated prior to us. No one was paying attention to them, they ended up walking out after we had been served our french onion soup, no one had bothered to even take their order! The onion soup was very salty, so much so that my wife couldn't finish hers. We also had the haystack onion strings, they were very good! When our prime rib came out it was dry and had a texture like it had been reheated? I ordered my meat medium rare so it should not have been dry. The only seasoning I could taste on the meat was salt! One of the best parts of the prime rib is the seasoning that encircles the meat. The au jus served with the meat seemed to be the broth from the French Onion soup because it to was extremely salty!
I am not an overly picky eater by any means, but the saltiness of this meal was over the top! We won't be going back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Richfield, WI
“A Very Pleasant Evening...with a Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I celebrate our wedding anniversary EVERY month. Yesterday, was no different. I used a restaurant.com coupon (spend $50, get $25 off). What a good choice! My husband had one of the German specials of the evening (Thurs.), and although he said it could have been a bit more "vinegary," he was very pleased. (He took home his leftovers, and he would never do that unless the food was THAT good.) I had the seafood risotto. It had lobster pieces in the risotto, flanked by two large, correctly cooked scallops, two shrimp, two oysters and a nice serving of sauteed spinach. The meal started with a small plate of three slices of cheese and a few red grapes, which went nicely with my German beer (one of the evening's specials) and my husband's glass of red wine (also a special). The warm bread basket contained a very tasty rosemary bread, that we both enjoyed with spreadable (not ice cold chunks) of butter. We also ordered an appetizer of sweet potato fries. These arrived with aioli and "diablo catsup" sauces. The sauces were excellent. The fries could have used a few more minutes in the fryer. We did tell our server when she asked, that they were too hard, and we hope she passed this along to the chef. Our entrees came with either soup or salad. My husband said he enjoyed the chicken with spaetzle soup, and I had a salad with the house dressing on the side. Sorry! We were too full for dessert. About 10 minutes before we left, however, (this is the "surprise" part) the evening's entertainment started. We didn't know there was live entertainment. The gentleman, "Johnny B." had a voice that sounded like Roy Orbison (in fact, his favorite singer). He said he'd be performing selections from the '50's through '80's. His music was quite good, although a bit too loud for having dinner-time conversation. I had to laugh at one of the other reviews which said "good food if you can overlook the old people." My husband and I are probably part of that "old" crowd, and none of the people our age or older bothered us in any way! Too funny. We'll definitely return and next time plan to bring friends.

• Visited April 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent, excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

After a day of running errands, we were faced with the daunting task of "WHERE" to eat. We eat out fairly often, and choosing a place is not a fun task. Most of the time, the food and service are decent wherever we go. But todays generation, the twenty and thirty year olds, tend to gravitate to the chain restaurants and think they have eaten a great meal. We were out in the Wauwatosa area, and stopped at the Boulder Junction, it was PACKED, not a seat at their huge bar and dining room was full. This place is good, but more along the lines of an Applebees. We left and went down the street to Open Hearth, which we have been to, a few times before throughout the years. Without trying to overly complimentary, it was more like I forgot what it was like to eat at a real restaurant. We were seated immediately by a young and enthusiastic lady. Moments later, our server, PAM, came to greet us, and wanted to know our names and wrote them on her pad. Our drinks came promptly, and for a change of pace I ordered a Manhatten up. Simply put, it was exquisite. All of our service was pleasant, and FUN. Open Hearth is known for good food, but the food on THIS occassion exceeded our expectations. It was Friday Fish Fry night, and we were not interested in fish. I had the 12 oz prime rib, rare! Well, it must have been more like 20 oz and TASTED as wonderful as it looked! What a pleasant surprise. My partner had the duck, wow, very large duck, NOT dry, with delicious rice. I had the regular dinner salad that comes with the meal, and I asked if I could have the hot bacon dressing, that is only offered with the spinach salads. I offerred to pay for it. Pam took care of it and, believe me, these people know how to make a wonderul hot bacon dressing. The salad was delicious and the perfect size, not so large that you can not eat your entre. I was going to try my partners soup, but by the time I asked, it was already eaten!! Normally we don't order dessert. But all of this was too nice not to want to cap it off. I ordered Shaum torte! My partner had the chocolate mousse. Both home made and wonderful. We would have stayed for an after dinner drink, but by that time the bar was overflowing. This may seem like a long review, but if people would patronize these family owned and run business more, we wouldn't be running out of choices and be forced into another chain restaurant with mediocre line food. Now this review is only based on my visit last evening. It's true, one probably could go back another evening and it might not be this glowing. But last nights visit made both my day and week. Pam was fun, knowledgeable, without being overbearing. Thank You Open Hearth for a wonderful evening and real food that was tender, not dry, and had great flavor.

• Visited March 2012
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“What a splendid meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

On a recent winter night my husband, two adult daughters and I went to the Open Hearth Restaurant in Wauwatosa. We were immediately asked if we would like to sit hear the fireplace. Of course! The ambience was lovely, our server was friendly and knowlegable, and the food delicious. I had the pork tenderloin special, my husband pork chops, one daughter had the New York steak and the other had steak and lobster. Everyone raved about how great the food was. The evening ended with after dinner drinks while we enjoyed the live music.

• Visited February 2012
Milwaukee
“Hostess/service needs improvement, food quite good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We made reservations two weeks in advance and the person taking the reservation verified a reservation for six of us at 6:00 PM on Dec. 10th. When we arrived, the hostess stated they had us down for 10 people so they'd have to reset the table. She was then heard complaining that we reserved for 10 and only showed up with 6! We waited over 20 minutes to have the table reset!!! She then spent an inordinate amount of time describing their specialty drinks and desserts. Our waitress was very friendly but we waited quite a long time for our beverages and each course to be served. The food was quite good but many other restaurants in the city have good food too and better service.

• Visited December 2011