“All-Around Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“All-Around Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I had just got off the ferry from Muskegon and found this place almost by accident. I was with the U.S. Army in Bosnia at the start of the NATO enforcement of the Dayton Peace Accord, and while there I ate a lot of authentic Serb food that I came to enjoy, so I was interested in seeing what this place had to offer.

It did not look shabby to us at all, contrary to what some other reviewers have said. The food was SUPERB and our waiter was THE BEST! I had stuffed peppers and my wife had stuffed zucchini, and both came with FRESH green beans, a typical Balkan dumpling, and rice. I don't know the history of this place but it obviously has been around for quite a while. We will eat there whenever we again find ourselves in !Milwaukee!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hatton, North Dakota
“Serbian Food at it's Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Want authentic serbian food? Look no further than Old Town. Most of the menu can be intimidating to pronounce but do not hesitate to try the fare. Even if you can't pronounce what you want to try doesn't mean you can't point it out to the wait staff and say, "I'll try this" We have been eating here for years on our yearly trips to Milwaukee, it never disappoints. Weekend nights you may be treated to wandering minstrels, tip them well they are excellent dining entertainment.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Really the Best Serbian and Balkan Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have known the family for decades and they do a great job with some basic Balkan cooking! Great Serbian delicacies, some standard fare and good specials. Be sure to try the Dalmatian wine and a slivo if you feel brave! Great service, great food, white table cloth atmosphere and if you catch the right night, a great variety of live music is available.

Visited May 2013
Milwaukee
“Good food but terrible dining experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I dined recently at Old Town, expecting to have a lovely dining experience to top off our relaxing vacation week. When we stepped in the door, I was a little surprised at the shabbiness of the menus, and the general appearance of this "gourmet" restaurant - it had looked much nicer in the Milwaukee Journal newspaper review.

There appeared to be only one waitress/hostess for the entire restaurant. She asked if we had reservations, and we did not, but she did not say anything about it at the time, and seated us. (Unfortunately I had not read the fine print on our Groupon which said that reservations were "required. . ." I had held onto the Groupon for a long time, as it was never convenient to make a trip to this part of Milwaukee during the hours that the restaurant was open, and I had not looked at it for awhile.)

From the moment we stepped in, the waitress never cracked a smile or mentioned her name, or made us feel welcome. I did mention that we had a "Groupon" before we ordered, and again after the meal. She did not ask for the Groupon before leaving to "get our bill" so my husband had to follow after her. After we got the bill, I questioned the "$9" for our one glass of wine, since I was quite certain that we had ordered something less costly. The waitress promptly made up a story that my husband had pointed to a higher priced wine on the menu (he did not even have the wine menu open at the time). I calmly stated that if she wasn't certain what we had ordered, then she should have asked for clarification. At this point she became even more openly hostile, shouting "excuse me!?!" At this point, I gave up trying to get her to correct the bill.

I left the restaurant to regain my composure, while my husband paid the bill and tipped too generously - this is when the (one) waitress/hostess/manager followed after me, opening the front door and yelling out the door that she "did us a favor" by letting us dine there without reservations. Seriously? I don't think even Seinfeld's Soup Nazi would carry the hostility this far. Not having reservations was an honest mistake - and there were only two other couples seated at tables when we arrived.

Run away from, do not walk into, this restaurant, until they see the light and get new wait staff. After forty years of somewhat extensive dining experience, much of it in the Milwaukee metro area, this one clearly rises to the top for poor (actually terrible) service. I hope management figures it out soon, and does what it needs to do. Kudos to the chefs, and my sympathies to anyone else who has had to endure what we did -my apologies also to our fellow diners who had to witness the event on this particular evening. Thank you, TripAdvisor, for telling the real story. I wish I had read the reviews before buying a Groupon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Old Time Supper Club”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my first time here, a groupon brought me in. The food was above average. However, the service was slow. It appeared the owner was running a "one woman" show. We wanted a drink at the bar after dinner, but noticed two more groups coming in and looking around because their was no one in the "front of the house" so we just left. The food was good, but the service was slow. I would try it again though.

• Visited June 2013