“Learn about Milwaukees Jewish population then and now.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 242 things to do in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
“Learn about Milwaukees Jewish population then and now.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Today I went to the Jewish Museum, with my Catholic girlfriend. My other friend, Gene Gilbert, meet us and offered to be our docent. He told us so much more than we would have known, had we just walked around by ourselves. He had personal stories of his own,that further enhanced our visit. There are wonderful displays of the Torah, Mazuzahs, a Tallis, and a lot more. We saw a large push cart, displaying the fruit that was sold from it,in years gone by. And, of course, there is a section on the Holocaust. But most of all, there are pictures, and pictures of the Jewish people who came to Milwaukee from Russia, Poland, Spain, and Germany, and eventually started their own businesses. Every picture has a story from the past.
But the most amazing feature, is the LARGE Chagall (14 X 19 Ft) Tapestry, that hangs near the entrance to the museum. It is not a painting, but was woven using strands of colored wool. It is worth $125.000, and took a year to weave. It is very very beautiful!
Both my friend and I learned a lot that we never knew. I plan to go back some day to take a longer look. It is a wonderful place to go, for both Jews and Gentiles, Old and young, to learn about Milwaukes Jewish Heritage.
Like · · Share · 32 minutes ago near Milwaukee ·

Visited November 2013

6 attraction reviews
“Nice small museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I visited here while in Milwaukee on business. It is small but very well done. It depicts the history of Jews in the greater Milwaukee area, including its most famous citizen Golde Meir. Parking is a bit of a challenge though.

Visited June 2012
Milwaukee
“An Appreciation for Jewish life and culture”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Jewish Museum Milwaukee is a small, but well-done museum that introduces you to the Jewish community in Milwaukee. I didn't know that Milwaukee has a large and rooted Jewish population. The exhibits in the museum tell you their story: why and how the Jewish people came to Milwaukee, where they lived, what kind of jobs they had, how the community expanded, famous people, their connection to Israel, the social action they brought about and all their positive contributions to Milwaukee and the greater Milwaukee area. The museum really enhanced my awareness and appreciation of Jewish life and culture for both the Milwaukee Jewish community and the global Jewish community.

Visited November 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Impressive and interesting exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I took my 11-year-old daughter to Jewish Museum Milwaukee, and we both loved it. In the permanent exhibit, there are a lot of interactive features and visual interest for kids and adults. The special exhibit during that visit was about unusual collections -- snuff boxes, spoons, Civil War era money, etc. I visited another time with a friend. We saw a collection of works by Felix Lembersky, a Soviet painter. It was the first time his work was exhibited at a public museum in the US. This was pretty impressive for a small, niche museum. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable, and the building is beautiful. I will definitely go back!

Visited April 2013