“EXCEPTIONAL DINING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bourbon & Tunns Tavern - CLOSED

Bourbon & Tunns Tavern
221 N Broadway, Milwaukee, WI 53202-5805 (Formerly Palms Bistro & Bar) (Historic Third Ward)
414-298-3000
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Historic Third Ward
Cross street: Between Buffalo & Chicago Streets
Description: The recent renaissance of Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward has introduced the city to a new era of stylish metropolitan dining. Historically significant buildings are serving as the foundation for the many downtown restaurants that have surfaced in recent years. Following suit, Bourbon & Tunns Tavern opened its doors in the beautifully restored Queen Anne style building located at 221 N Broadway Avenue in 2002. Since the time of our inception, Bourbon & Tunns Tavern introduced an entirely new category of cuisine to Milwaukee’s contemporary culinary scene. Palm’s has spent years developing and fine tuning what today has become known as Global Fusion. Simply stated, Global Fusion begins with a classical French foundation and seamlessly fuses exotic worldly flavors to create distinctively enticing cuisine. Our chefs have established a reputation for crafting creative and exciting cuisine, and are continuously committed to keeping our customers equally enthusiastic about our food.
“EXCEPTIONAL DINING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Exceptional food and service. Everyone is very friendly and cannot do enough for you. They always remember us and different things about us. Best, and I mean Best calamari in the world, yes, I said the world. I have been to Santorini, also Priano and the Palms has the best calamari. Salads are also very different and unique. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Madison, Wisconsin
“Incredible Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were on a long weekend in Milwaukee, and chose Palms based on reviews and the items on the menu. We did not have a reservation; however we were welcome to wait in the bar. This component was fine, as the somewhat attentive bartenders made great drinks...however they did seem to lack in the ability to multi task as things got busier. Getting our bar tab moved to the restaurant proved to be quite a challenge, however we didn't let this damper our opinion.

The soup of the day sounded good on a rainy Saturday, a beef based soup. It was mildly spicy with no vegetables or starch...we both agreed it might have benefitted from some barley or Israeli couscous. But it was delicious, just more like an entree soup.

The special of the evening was Arctic Char, which happens to be the partner's favorite seafood. In spite of an orange/fennel preparation (neither of us cares for fennel), we both honestly ranked this among the best seafood dishes we have tasted (mine was a small bite). I opted for the rack of lamb, which came with a forest mushroom and onion ragout, and a reduced cabernet glaze. I don't care for almond or mint, so asked that the pesto be "on the side." As it happened, it wasn't included at all, though I would have like to try it. It wasn't necessary though...I'm not sure how this dish could have been any better unless it came with explicit instructions on how to make at home. I was incredibly impressed.

Our server was incredibly nice, and extremely helpful. It did not appear the dining room was prepared for a busy dinner service. This was not helped by a table of folks who apparently had finished eating, but appeared to be drinking coffee they had brought in with them originally. The restaurant has little control over such occurrences.

Though somewhat uneven in terms of service, I still have to give an excellent rating based on the food. If you know how to professional and kindly guide service staff, you should have no problem here, though know that the food is definitely at a price. We felt it was an exceptional value, though we both acknowledged if one is not a foodie, some of the price points vs. serving sizes may be deal breakers.

We definitely plan to visit again, and with all the choices in the area, this says something.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

Food quality is excellent. Staff is friendly and we didn't have to wait at all for our orders. A bit pricey but there's a nice atmosphere.

We chose this place because we found a parking space right in front of it. We were attracted by the look of the pub from the outside and the atmosphere of the dark interiors. The place was full so we were crammed around a small table. But if there were so many people I guess it couldn't be a bad place. The drinks menu presents a wide variety of beers and wines. There were about twenty different bottled beers and a couple on tap. The food menu was also quite various. We all had the special of the day: "Cod sandwich" and an "asian something soup". The former was excellent however the latter was quite small but still very good. Staff was really friendly and the soup was served in no time. By the time we had finished the soup we were served the sandwich. So we didn't wait at all. The price was a bit higher than what we expected but I guess you pay for the atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Franklin, Wisconsin
“Great Salads, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stop into Palms every few months when I'm travelling between appointments. Most of the time I get the same server. It impresses me that even though I'm an occassionaly regular, he remembers what I drink and my normal food order. My favorite is the strawberry gorganzola salad, minus the gorganzola. I add shrimp to that and it is wonderful. I also like that they offer full and half size salads for those of us that want a lighter meal.

Chicago, Illinois
“EXCELLENT FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I believe they change their menu every so often so they may not have what we had, but the salad and chicken sandwich were excellent. Also, I almost died over the pumpkin pie!!!

Visited October 2011