“Good service Bad Food” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #513 of 1,338 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Mexican
“Good service Bad Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

First I would like to say our waitress michele was a great friendly waitress. She was very good. That is where the compliments end. Food took quite a while to come out especially considering there was only 7 tables in the place 2 that were already eating by the time i got there. Once we got the food it was not very good. Very bland and awful. I will not go back. I feel bad for our waitress who could make more money at other places with her hospitality.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“A hidden gem for great Mexican Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

You really have to try this place. It's a bit removed from the usual locations for Milwaukee's great Mexican cuisine being on S 43rd & W Layton av. The place is nicely and colorfully decorated, has friendly staff and great service . Fantastic HAPPY HOUR and best of all the food is excellent. Also, the price is a bit more reasonable than some of the more well known Mexican places in town. This is by far our favorite place for Mexican...My favorite is the Pollo Tepic, which I have yet to find at any other local Mexican restaurant...as they say...TRY IT..YOU'LL LIKE IT

Visited July 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“The best Mexican food in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I really love coming to this restaurant and have known the family for decades. Always good food, they have a comp taco bar during happy hour, great tequila selection and great and friendly service. Many times they have big parties, but still keep it open for that local looking for some food and fiesta! Try the jumbo margarita, which is a bumba size mug for only ten dollars!

Visited July 2013
Franklin
“One of the best Mexican restaurants in town!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Like other reviewers, we have been frequenting this restaurant for 15+ years & the last few years we stopped going because the restaurant quality just was not there anymore. Well, I can assure you, they are back & better than ever. My husband & I have been there 3 times in the last month, just can't get enough!!! Steak Fajitas are out of this world!!! And Andrew who is a sever is the best. Salsa & chips are unending & the margaritas are great! Can't wait to go back!!!!

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Franklin, Wisconsin
“They have won me back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have been going to several incarnations of Los Mariachi's in Racine and Milwaukee for about 17 years or so. I have lived near Layton Ave location for the past 11 years. The Combo Fajita was always my favorite and I thought the combination of Marinated Beef, Chicken, Shrimp and Imitation Crab, along with Carmelized Onions, Red, Green and Yellow peppers could not be beat in terms of quality and price.

A couple of years ago, it looked like they had "lost their fastball". Portion sizes shrunk, the rice and beans that accompanied the dish were often cold and the place was in a state of constant "renovation".

With the openng of El Fuego and the El Beso, I had moved on to greener pastures/tables. The Fajita was never as good, but I figured my memories would be all that remained of one of my favorite all time dishes.

Earlier this year, I noticed Los Mariachi's on Restaurant.com and bought a $25.00 gift certificate for $2.00 and figured I would give them another chance.

Am I glad I did! The Combo Fajita is once again "World Class". We have been back two other times since then and I have not been disappointed. My wife loves the Beef Chimichanga and while my kids will only eat a hamburger off the kids menu, they really enjoy it, especially the fries which are like a steak fry, nice and meaty, not just a fried empty shell.

I still think they should serve the rice and beans hotter, but that is my only fault to find. Renovations have been completed. Business seems to have picked up and while it doesn't have the energy/noise of some of it's competitors, they did have a Mariachi Trio roaming the dining room, which was a nice touch.

Visited November 2011