“Authentic and Colorful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Perla

La Perla
734 S 5TH St, Milwaukee, WI 53204-1705 (Walker's Point)
(414) 645-9888
Neighborhood: Walker's Point
Manitowoc Rapids, Wisconsin
“Authentic and Colorful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I ate lunch at La Perla yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We ordered Patron Silver Margaritas (exceptional), guacamole/chips/salsa, cold shrimp (camarones) soup and chicken in mole, with rice and beans. The drinks were perfectly prepared, the soup delicious (the sweet onions had been soaked overnight in ice water with lemon), avocado and tons of tomatoes. The mole is a specialty of the house and, though a bit spicy, savory. We enjoyed it so much, we took two good size containers home. The mole, an ample quantity, was sold to us at a fair price. Those sorts of ingredients cannot be found in our town. The chicken was shredded and tender. Both meals came with extra flour tortillas. Overall, both meals were perfect. Enrique, a 14-year bartender originally from Mexico City, was delightful company. Overall, we give La Perla very good grades, and we intend to return on our next visit to Milwaukee.

For night owls who love salsa dancing, La Perla has a nightclub which is open from 11:00 pm to 2:00 am. The roof deck patio is an excellent feature for warm, sunny days.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Vegetarians beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I ate at LaPerla today and was given food that contained chicken although I explicitly ordered vegetarian. I have been vegetarian for almost 25 years. They brought me another plate. No apologies were offered by the waitress or management. When I was give the bill, I asked to speak to the Manager. It took him over 30 minutes to come to our table. I explained to him that I didn't think I should be charged for this meal because of their mistake. He brought me back a bill for $4.00. The initial bill was only $8. The money was not the issue. The issue boils down to poor customer service and appreciation. My office is located right down the street and we have done a tremendous amount of business with LaPerla, including catering for office parties. I guess they don't value our business with them as customers. I will never eat here again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Racine, Wisconsin
“Old favorite, no longer a favorite!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Been going to La Perla for years but had not been in a while! They apparently changed the menu and must have a new cook! So very disappointed!

Visited March 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loud but delicious food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

The guacamole was delicious, a little over priced and could be spicy but very good. The one refill policy is annoying but acceptable. The marinated steak tacos we we'll worth the $14. Staff was friendly and manager made it apparent that she cared a lot about the customers.

Visited February 2014
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“A nice visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

When we travel to Milwaukee's south side we often go to La Perla. The food is always good. I like the fact that they do not use lard in their beans and no chicken stock in their rice. We like the enchiladas a lot. The salsa is hot enough for our tastes (we like nuclear hot sauce). The margaritas are pretty dang good.

• Visited October 2013