“Rock Bottom is Tops!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 1,389 restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wells Ave
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
“Rock Bottom is Tops!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I recently visited the MSO and wanted to dine somewhere within walking distance. I tried to pick a place based on location and good reviews - sadly, many of the reasonably priced restaurants (including another popular brewery/restaurant) had only average to poor reviews. I decided to ask for recommendations on facebook, and my friends came through. Several suggested we try Rock Bottom Brewery and several of their friends chimed in that they agreed. I'm so glad we took their advice!

It's located in a older building in the heart of downtown, and was charmingly renovated. Tin ceilings and exposed brick walls add character. Yes, there are TV's tuned to sports on the wall, but their not blaring, so they don't distract. (We weren't looking for romantic dining, anyway). :) Everything was clean and neat, which is more important to me.

But enough about the appearance. I can't speak to the hand-crafted beer, as neither of us were drinking that night, but the food! The food was wonderful!

I ordered the Brewhouse Chicken: a moist grilled chicken breast with mushroom beer gravy and a stack of fried onion strings. This was served over tasty white cheddar "smashed" potatoes with seasonal veggies on the side. In this case, they consisted of steamd broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, zucchini, and green peppers. I'm not usually very enthusiastic about the veggies you get served at restaurants - under-steamed, bland and boring - but this combo was perfectly cooked, flavorful and delicious. My hubby, who is a bit of a picky-eater, tried a bite of my meal was equally impressed.

He considered ordering a steak, but changed his mind at the last minute and ordered the Smokehouse BBQ Burger. It too was perfectly cooked and delicious; he loved the signature sauce with just the right amount of "kick." (After trying my chicken, he admitted that he should have had the steak, as it would have probably been excellent, too!)

I do wish my portion size had been larger - don't get me wrong, it was a good portion for the price and comparable to any "steakhouse" sized meal. But I had skipped lunch and was craving more of that yummy chicken.

I solved that problem my ordering dessert - a Chocolate Stout Cupcake. It's a big chocolate cupcake served with chocolate-stout fudge (yes, there's beer in the fudge sauce), caramel, and cream cheese icing. My hubby, who claimed he didn't want any dessert, somehow managed to get an extra spoon and sample some. We ended up fighting each other for the icing, because it was that good. :)

So, overall, it was a great dining experience. The hostess and our server were professional and friendly - without being overly so and hovering. The food was excellent, and we plan to go back soon. It would be well worth the hour-long drive.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
wisconsin
“Another Great Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Since my son goes to college in Milwaukee, I tend to go up there frequently. Rock Bottom is my go to place. Always good food and very scenic! The wait staff are top notch and very attentive.
You can't go wrong!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“great place to gather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great atmosphere and food. Excellent service. Friends and I always gather before the theater and have a very enjoyable time

Visited December 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“It's Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and I dined here on NYE. The service was ok from start to finish. The greeters seemed to be caught off guard by the fact that there were patrons coming in at 7p for NYE dinner, and fumbled around a bit to gather menus and decide on a seating location for us, although we had reservations. Once seated, towards the rear of the restaurant, the waiter appeared and was friendly enough, no smiles or suggestion and a bit distracted. We felt a little rushed and a little frustrated by the attempts to get us to place orders quickly. The restaurant was not in the least bit full so I was a baffled by the behavior. The blackend mac and cheese was very good and creamy, although the shrimp were not blackened at all. My husband enjoyed his burger and my daughter enjoyed the child's portion of sirloin. The beer flights were decent. Overall, for a NYE experience, it was ok. But I would suggest that those who choose to work on the night of a holiday come prepared to provide at least the standard customer service or take the evening off.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Yum, try the Christmas ale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had nachoes, the boys had steak and all really liked it. The nachoes were done properly, spread out thin to get as much cheese coverage as possible :)

Try the beer they brew, it's good.

Visited November 2012