“Great food, wine and experience for a single diner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanford Restaurant

Sanford Restaurant
1547 N Jackson St, Milwaukee, WI 53202-2001 (Lower East Side)
414-276-9608
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food, wine and experience for a single diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Based on the trip advisor rating, I phoned Sanford and indicated I would be a lone, female diner but really wanted to try their "surprise" tasting menu rather than sit in my hotel room and work over a room service meal. They were able to accommodate a same-day reservation and were extremely welcoming. I enjoyed seven courses of excellent food and wines; the latter were terrific before the food came and even better after.

My husband and I like to try tasting menus when we travel including cities like Vegas. On that basis, this was the best value for the dollar I've ever spent.

I'll definitely visit them again on my next trip to Milwaukee.

• Visited October 2013

Chandler, Arizona
“What can I say? Best retaurant in Milwaukee. Go there now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Seriously--what can I say that hasn't already been said? This is the best restaurant in Milwaukee and the second best meal I've ever had. #1 was only better due to the view on the top of a mountain!! The food is superb, the service is impeccable, the atmosphere is chic, and the entire staff, including the chef/owner, was very friendly. One of the most expensive meals I've ever had but SO worth it. I had the halibut and it was outstanding. My husband tried the tasting menu with the duck and it was great but I think I out-ordered him! ;-) The only thing I think could improve is the cheese plate. The one at Balzac still hasn't been beat. I love a good cheese plate and the one at Sanford was very good but needed bread and fruit. We had tarts for dessert and they were both wonderful. We went for our anniversary and once the chef knew this, he sent a plate out to celebrate. How sweet! We were so pleased with everything and would highly recommend going out of your way to visit as soon as possible!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent Food In A Friendly And Elegant Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Sanford is an excellent dining experience. They are friendly, genuine people, and the food, service, and ambience are outstanding.

• Visited September 2013
Shorewood, Wisconsin
“Elegant, Tasty and Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place serves elegant, fine dishes with unique, yet approachable seasonal ingredients. The chef is very humble and we had the pleasure to meet him and tour his tiny kitchen after our meal. Servers are pros. Everything runs smooth like clockwork. The place is cozy and guests can be heard say oh and ah. Great spot for fancy people. Great spot for special dates. Just good, high priced cuisine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“James Beard Preview Dinner-GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Justin Aprahamian the chef and co-owner of Sanford has been asked to prepare a meal at the James Beard house in New York, September 9th. As a trial run for the upcoming dinner, Sanford hosted two nights of preview dinners with the same menu that will be served in NYC. We attended one of those dinners. WHAT A TREAT! There were 4 different Hors D'Oeuvres and 5 additional courses in addition to dessert. Every course was very different and creative, from the first, a caraway crusted sea scallop paired with a smoked trout salad. I will not go into all the dishes, but they were all great. The comments I heard from other diners was most positive.
When the chef brought out the kitchen staff, everyone applauded. They all deserved it!
I am sure the lucky people that attend the James Beard house dinner on September 9th will get an outstanding meal and they too will appreciate the talent of Justin Aprahamian.

• Visited August 2013