“Memorable dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanford Restaurant

Sanford Restaurant
1547 N Jackson St, Milwaukee, WI 53202-2001 (Lower East Side)
414-276-9608
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Syracuse
“Memorable dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here for the first time. It is First Class. The valet was a good kid. Everyone was very accommodating. Dinner and dessert were amazing. I sampled food from everyone at the table and tried food I had never heard of before and found everything to have amazing flavor! I highly recommend!!

• Visited April 2013

95% Recommend
“Loved the Taste of the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Last night we were the first guests to have the new Exploration Menu at Sanford. This is a menu item that changes about on a monthly basis. I was told it was inspired by a trip that the chef/owner took to the French Quarter of New Orleans when he was there to cook for a fund raiser at a really big football game, which maybe I cannot mention, so just will do like everyone and refer to it as the big game.
The menu was described as a Taste of the French Quarter and it was outstanding. The first course was an alligator sausage Po'Boy with a green garlic aioli. It had a small sour dough roll, very tender by the way, that was nicely toasted and the alligator sausage in it. I should have taken a picture, as it both looked and tasted beautiful.
Second course was a lentil gumbo with seared shrimp and okra. My only complaint was that there wasn't a quart of it. It was as good as it gets.
Main course was Quail Muffalata. Quail with an olive salad and instead of a bun, sesame dumplings. I asked and they ground sesame seeds after toasting them added some flour and made them like long gnocchi, finally rolling them in sesame seeds. A most different dish that was out of this world.
Dessert a praline tart with banana rum ice cream. A sugar cookie topped with banana slices that topped with the pecan praline and the banana rum ice cream on the side. I couldn't imagine doing it any better.
The service was outstanding, as usual and it was a great dining experience and adventure. All four courses for $49, not bad at all for special food.
(I will attempt to attach a photo of the quail muffalata dish.)

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food in a comfortable, elegant atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We've been here in the past, and were not disappointed on a return visit.

The seasonal menu focuses on local ingredients, freshly and creatively prepared. There are about 10 appetizers and 12 mains, and often a special. There is also a tasting menu with wines to accompany. Plenty of variety to please most tastes, from veges to fish to meats (including elk on our most recent visit.)

The appetizers themselves would be a lovely meal if you ordered a few. We had appetizers and mains, all delicious. I ordered the sturgeon for the main since it is the season; it came stuffed with tasty "crab hash" and carmelized onlons on top. My husband had the roast veal with bulgur. The acompaniements were great.

Nicely selected and well-priced wine list.

Friendly, professional service.

'Not a cheap place, but you'd pay more for a dinner like this in Chicago.

My only minor complaint this time: the kithen was slower than we remember, but we got a nice apology, and the tables were all full. It wasn't that bad a wait, and the food more than made up for it.

Nice modern-contemporary decor feels very comfortable, with nice flowers. If you need a restaurant for a special event, this place isn't stuffy but will feel special.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago
“Memorable and intimate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is an intimate restaurant with impeccable service and very fine food. My partner and I shared a bottle of carmenere and it was a great wine for the beef tenderloin we ordered. The tenderloin was the tenderest meat with a truffle sauce, very delicious! Along with a special salad infused with several Italian delicacies, we enjoyed a pear and cheese appetizer that was wonderfully delicate. The ambience was refined and perfect for our romantic dinner, although I was glad the place wasn't totally full, or we would have felt a bit cramped.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
“The best Milwaukee has to offer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We are self-described foodies that are quite familiar with NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles restaurants. Sanford's compares with the best of the best. Make your reservation and expect impeccable service and delicious food!

Visited October 2012

Been to Sanford Restaurant? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sanford Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.