“Fun trip into my grandparent's 1920's culture” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 76 Attractions in Milwaukee
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: A Milwaukee nonprofit dedicated to giving visitors a glimpse into Milwaukee life between the world wars with authentic items displayed in store settings. Handicap-accessible guided tours are offered at no additional charge, and there is free off-street parking behind the building.
Niota, Tennessee
“Fun trip into my grandparent's 1920's culture”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I are in our mid 50's, and recognized some of the things my parents had kept from our grandparents. It was well taken care of and informative. There is much to see in what seems a small house. We enjoyed the history in the well written signs through out the museum. We would recommend it to Milwaukee, WI visitors.Nice period museum for 20's-30's Milwaukee.

Visited September 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Chudnow M, Public Relations Manager at Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
The recollections and familiarity are what makes that time period so nostalgic. We are pleased you enjoyed it and we thank you for the review and recommendation!

New Berlin
“This museum is a very interesting addition to Milwaukee history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

The exhibits are very well done. I found the pictures and facts to be very informative. The displays of old businesses are great.

Visited November 2013
Thank you for your visit and the review! Pictures with facts really show what life was like to the modern visitor. Progress marches on.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
“Noatalgia at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Today I spent a few hours, at this lovely museum, of days gone by .Everything in the museum is from the 1900's to the 1940's Joel, my tour guide, was very Informative. Since I've lived in Milwaukee my whole life, the artifacts of old brought back many warm memories. One room was a grocery store, another was a soda fountain, then a barber shop, and even a secret room.
There are also fun facts posters along the way. Who knew how the butterfinger candy bar got it's name, or gum drops, or Hersheys candy bars. Joel knows, and he will be glad to tell you. Older visitors will sigh at things gone by, and younger visitors will marvel at the past, and wonder how that generation survived without cell phones and computers. Do yourself a favor and visit this museum. I'm sure you will be glad (as I was) that you did.
There is free parking in the back, and the fee is $5.00 and $4.00 for seniors.

Visited October 2013
Chudnow M, Public Relations Manager at Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your visit and tour of the museum. The approval by local residents means much to us as we display authentic artifacts from Milwaukee.
Marietta, GA
6 attraction reviews
“Seeing the details of everyday life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our family enjoyed this. Grandpa liked seeing the things he remembered from his childhood. I liked the general store and "speakeasy"; my teens liked the different gadgets.

This is a unique place with all the little things that people throw away when they get things that are "new and improved". It is so perfect to have them gathered here for a particular time period - not so long ago that the things are unrecognizable.

Visited October 2013
Chudnow M, Public Relations Manager at Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
We are glad to hear that you found something for everyone to enjoy! Certainly quality and an attention to detail can be found in many of the products of that era. Where they used cast iron and quality hardwood today we find plastic or fiberboard.
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice museum about life in Milwaukee in 20's & 30's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Several weeks ago I was looking for something to do with my father on a Saturday. My dad is in his 80's and I thought this might be fun. We arrived around 1:00. There was literally no other visitors when we arrived. Two men were running things at that point and both were very nice and informative. They explained we could wander ourselves or have a tour. We chose the tour which was the correct choice.

We learned that the museum is the result of a lifetime of collecting interesting artifacts by the late Mr. Chudnow, a prominent Milwaukee attorney. We were told there are over 250,000 items in the collection and the museum used some to set up vignettes showing a slice of life at the time in each room. The items are great and having the tour helped direct attention to the items and our docent was very well informed as he was also on the team that is cataloging and researching the entire collection.

We learned much about the times and Milwaukee that we did not know and really enjoyed the experience. We only did the first floor which gives us an excuse to go back and finish the tour. This would be a great attraction for young kids and adults. I think teens would have to be really into history as there is nothing digital there. One crazy example was in the room set up at a pharmacy they had an old poster selling the new Bayer medicinal product…heroin! Really! It turns out Bayer actually coined the term for this “non-habit forming” drug.

Visited September 2013
We are glad you found us and welcome you back when you have more time to finish the second floor. There is a movie theater up there where we play old movies and some documentaries we created. Sound buttons that play voice overs or radio ads can also be found in most rooms. The Bayer heroin ad certainly grabs people's attention. What later scientists found was that the body quickly changes it to morphine so it is not any "safer" or "non-addictive". One of many examples of medicines that can be abused.