“This is hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“This is hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My friend and I decided to take an impromptu trip up to Milwaukee from Chicago for the weekend and made reservations at the Milwaukee Marriott Downtown.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the valet attendant. I didn't realize that the hotel would be valet only in downtown Milwaukee and at $30.00 per night I was a little shocked. However, unlike most other ramps near the hotel, the valet parking has unlimited in/out access. The ramp across the street is $16.00 each time you take your car out of the ramp. We used my car often, so in the end this was a winning situation.

The girl at the desk at check-in (we checked in on Friday, 2/7 around 9:00-9:30pm) was super friendly. I can't recall names (I am horrible with names), but she definitely set the bar high right off the bat. We grab our stuff and head up to the room. I did notice an odd "smell" in the hallway on the 8th floor, like a dirty vacuum cleaner or something. We smelled it all weekend. Might want to check that out. Once we got to our room, I was impressed with the cleanliness and just how nice the room was overall. The room was large, plenty of room to move about and the bathroom was also large. We really didn't want to leave the room all weekend it was that nice! I would look into having a softer pillow option as the ones in the room are comfy at first but sleeping on them all night made for a stiff neck in the morning, no big deal though.

In the morning we had breakfast down in the restaurant. The service was spot on and the waitress (again, I can't recall her name but there is another server we had on Sunday who looked just like her) was on it the entire time. Always had a smile and made us laugh several times. As did the server on Sunday morning. The food came out quickly and we did eat some food off the buffet.

The hotel is in a good location with plenty of restaurants close and within walking distance. I would suggest this hotel to anyone staying in Milwaukee. The hotel is nice and modern and feels good when you walk in the door. All of the staff was super friendly, always greeting and saying hello. Everyone had a smile on their face... it was refreshing. We will be back and we will stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

First time staying there for business. The rooms are very new and nice. The staff are very friendly, helpful and professional except they don't know how to connect an outside call to the room?? Wife wasn't happy. Parking is pricey as only valet parking for $30/night is available. I self-parked across the street for $16/night.
For those of us who live in hotels, the concierge level is bad. It is very nicely decorated and roomy. But, generally it opened late and closed early. One day no one showed up to open it and the manager had to try to get it going. He was very apologetic but unfortunately for me it was too late. Food is very mediocre. Not a lot of variety, pretty much the same "pizza puff" finger food every night. They ran out of desserts one night. The Minneapolis City Center Marriott concierge level (best of the bunch) puts this one to shame.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators as the "chime" is very loud and annoying.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I was the manager that you met the morning the concierge lounge did in fact open late. I apologize again for the inconvience, as typically our lounge is open and ready at 6:30am daily Monday through Friday. We value feedback and will continue to evolve the services we provide in the lounge and throughout the hotel. Thank you again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Positives include: Pleasant front desk staff during morning and afternoon shift. Trendy atmosphere.

Negatives: The room was clean but smelled unbearably like paint. Valet parking is outrageous at $30 per day. The morning valet was rude.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry to hear your expereince with the valet was less than positive and we will certainly address your concerns. Thank you for sharing your feedback, I was happy to hear the trendy atmosphere and warm staff were to your liking. Please reach out to me directly on your next visit to downtown Milwaukee, I hope we can become your first choice in the future.
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Over the years we have stayed at every Milwaukee downtown hotel and this new Marriott property is by far the best.

They differentiate themselves with outstanding customer service. Every single employee with whom I interacted created a positive impression. Very hard to do as a management team, and very enjoyable from the guest's perspective.

Check in was fast and friendly. Everything was well explained.

Rooms were spacious and perfectly equipped with multiple outlets at the desk, a coffee maker, excellent desk chair, and very comfortable wing chair for reading or relaxing. Beds were great.

Gym had several brand new life fitness ellipticals, treadmills and bikes as well as a few weight machines and dumbbells. Nice set up and 24 hour access.

We did not do breakfast but did have lunch at hotel. Menu is more towards meat so not much pasta, but many restaurant options walking distance.

Check out was 5 seconds ( a new standard for all hotels.).

Parking was $30/day for valet with unlimited access.

I reserve the 5th star only for the best, and this place joins some very elite company.

Stayed January 2014
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I usually stay at the Iron Horse but decided to stay here and was glad I did. The rooms are great, large enough, great bar and restaurant.

I ordered room service and they did a great job.

I will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you so much for trying something new and for choosing to stay at the Milwuakee Marriott Downtown! On behalf of the entire staff we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and dining experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed one night Dec 29th to go to the art museum and attend a show at the Pabst. The motel is in a great location for walking to the theatre, and I wanted to try a newer place. The room was comfortable, but the 2nd floor hallway had an unpleasant smell, which was still faintly noticeable in our room. Don't know if it was just a temporary thing, since they seem to still be doing some finishing touches (no mini-fridges installed yet). The shower had a great rain head, but the shower curtain was mildewy, so it just made you feel like the bathroom wasn't clean enough. My husband had to do some work on his laptop, and was very disappointed that there is a charge for wifi. The desk clerk did end up granting him free access, but I would think that free wifi would be standard these days. The staff in the motel and the attached restaurant were extremely polite and accommodating. I loved the big fireplace in the main lobby, and the overall décor. The food at the restaurant was mostly forgettable, but there are lots of places near the motel to walk to.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for joining us that Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, I appreciate your comments about the fantastic staff service and overall decor, but do apologize for the condition of the shower curtain. We are already addressing your other concerns and please know that your feedback allows us to correct anything that may not exceed your expectations. Thank you again, and please reach out to me personally here at the hotel if there is anything I can do for you in the future
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I've recently had to travel to Milwaukee frequently on business. Shifted to the new downtown Marriott after first stay in one of the historic hotels. It's a beautiful hotel with a great lobby library and comfortable rooms, but what makes the hotel shine is the staff. From the curb to front desk through to the staff in Millioke (the restaurant), everyone is warm, friendly, helpful but crisp and professional. New hotels sometime take a while to hit their stride, but not here. Really impressive.,

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Milwaukee Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!