“Beautiful building, very nice accommodations.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lakefront Brew Tour
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Wisconsin
“Beautiful building, very nice accommodations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband, myself, our son and his girlfriend stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn this past weekend. I looked for a hotel with a suite with 2 bedrooms which I couldn't find so I asked if the Hilton Garden Inn had connecting rooms and requested that. Even though the hotel was full when we arrived around 8:00 P.M. on a Friday night they were able to honor our request of connecting room which I was happy about. The room was very nice sized with massive ceilings. The beds were very comfy, nice crisp sheets with a warm duvet coverette. There was a microwave and small refrigerator and coffee maker in each room. I couldn't get over how beautiful the building is. The floors in the lobby and stairwells had the original tile which was beautiful. The staircases had massive wood banisters decorated with copper trim and ironwork which was breathtaking. The "light well" was amazing. This was the top of the stairwell all done in glass which was also original.
The only negitive thing I have to say is the room service was a little lacking. We stayed 2 nights and after returning Saturday evening realized the toilet tissue in the bathroom hadn't been restocked nor had the coffee supplies. The staff was quick to deliver the missing supplies to our rooms when we call the front desk.
All in all we had a great weekend!

Room Tip: We had rooms 209 and 210 which were connecting and overlooked Broadway Street. We were able to see...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Windsor, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The building is beautiful with its restored lobby. Everything is clean, fresh, current and the staff were very available all day and all night. Especially loved the courtesy shuttle to take me to the convention center and also recommendations for after the conference.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I travel to Milwaukee fairly often and have had my eye on this hotel even before it was open. I knew it was it in a significant, restored old building and had been receiving great reviews, so my expectations were high; nevertheless my stay exceeded them.

Leaving the great building aside for a moment, the real key to my great stay was the friendly and very professional staff. I was dealing with some difficult matters during my stay but the welcoming staff made that much more bearable. They were great from check-in till check-out. I made more requests to the front desk than I typically do in a stay and they handled everything beautifully.

The restoration of the 1886 Loyalty Building is so wonderful that it invites you to get out of your room to take it in. It gives the hotel a special feel and the staff clearly takes pride in it. I learned during my stay that my grandmother had worked in the building years ago. What a great connection! I also have my own memories of John Hawk's pub when it was in the basement of this building before moving to Wisconsin Avenue in 1990. A benefit of the old building is that the high ceilings and windows in the guest rooms make the rooms feel larger than they otherwise would. The rooms are also very quiet and benefit from the standard Hilton Garden Inn microwave and refrigerator. The lobby is laid out well with areas that make you feel completely comfortable just hanging out.

A final important feature to note is that the self-parking lot is very close and cost only $10 a day with unimited in and out privileges. That's way less than some other downtown Milwaukee hotels.(Valet parking is also available.)

I have stayed in downtown Milwaukee hotels with higher star ratings than this one, but none have been better than this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
South Salem, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel was very good overall. The architecture of the building is very interesting. As this is an old building that has been beautifully renovated, the rooms are solid/ quiet, solid with the exception of the air conditioning/ heating unit. This is one thing in general with hotel rooms that really bothers me so I just turned it off at night.

My room was 418 and it had a huge window that unfortunately viewed an alley. OK, the bathroom does not have expensive tile or a bath tub, but this is Hilton Garden Inn, not the Waldorf! Clearly is the nicest Hilton Garden that I have ever stayed in.

While the there are restaurants in the area, this is downtown and the block that the hotel is on located on is somewhat deserted with many empty buildings.

Service at the front desk was very good, the restaurant staff seemed a bit overwhelmed in the morning trying to keep up with the crowds.

Room Tip: Consider asking for an inside room not facing the road or the back alley which can be noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'm a nut for historical buildings and this one can't be beat. An amazing renovation of a former office building/bank that pulled out all the stops for gorgeous turn of the century architecture-interior and exterior. The entrance lobby has a 4 story atrium that's stunning. The hallway to our room even contained the original ornate bank safes left as they were. Totally cool. Our room had incredibly tall ceilings making the room feel very spacious. Lovely furnishings, incredibly quiet at night. The Hilton staff-from the doorman who insisted on holding an umbrella over us in the pouring rain to the woman at check-in to the driver who took us in the courtesy van to famous Milwaukee German restaurant, "Mader's," to the waiter who served us the next morning-was excellent. Courteous, warm, helpful and obviously very proud of their building. Really a lovely experience. Located in a central part of downtown Milwaukee that is enjoying an obvious rejuvination. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kay H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Daina472,

So wonderful to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us! You are right, the building is a true gem and all employees are so proud of it. Thank you for the complements on the staff and the architecture.

If there is anything else we can do to make you feel at home for your next visit, feel free to contact me at 414 271 6611.

Best,
Kay
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is our first time at this hotel in Milwaukee. We visit annually and have stayed elsewhere but chose this due to the location of the Riverside theater and the Market. We loved our room with the high ceilings; it was large and quiet. Service from staff was top notch and loved the historic details in the building. Pillows were so comfortable and we slept good! This will be our hotel for future visits to Milwaukee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear A,

Thank you for your glorious review! We are delighted to hear that your experience at the Hilton Garden inn Milwaukee downtown was so memorable!
We look forward to seeing you soon again and promise to keep the pillows just as comfortable as you remember.

Kind regards,
Kay
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed 2 nights while attending my nephew's wedding. The hotel is beautiful. It was recently remodeled but kept the historic beauty of the architecture, flooring, stairwell, etc. We stayed in a corner, king room, which was spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. I have never stayed in a hotel that had a bed and pillows as comfortable as this hotel! There is a mini fridge and micro in the room, as well as a nice closet and full length mirror (which was nice when getting ready to attend a wedding!). The bathroom was large with a walk-in shower. The towels were soft and plush -- not your standard thin, rough hotel towel! We did ask for a room away from the alley, as suggested by other reviewers, and we heard no outside noise. Check-in/check-out was simple and quick. The location of the hotel is close to the Riverwalk, which has tons of restaurants and the Indoor Market. It's also close to Lake Michigan, maybe a 15 minute walk . I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for the dazzling review. We hope to see you soon again for another comfortable and memorable stay. You are welcome to contact me directly, if you need anything special for your next trip to Milwaukee.
Kay 414 271 6611

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!