“I really wanted to give this a 5!” 4 of 5 stars

Bed n Breakfast Deal
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grand Haven, Michigan
“I really wanted to give this a 5!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

First, I'll start with the building. It was gorgeous - a beautifully renovated historic building in downtown Milwaukee. We had a very spacious corner king room with large windows on both outside walls.

The rooms were very comfortable and up-to-date. There was a large flat panel TV, clock radio, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer and ironing board and iron. The shower was a large walk-in with glass doors. The products in the bathroom were Bath & Body Shop products. The hotel staff was very friendly and personable, from the desk clerks, to the restaurant employees, to the shuttle driver.

For an extra $9.95 per person there was a cooked to order breakfast with eggs prepared any way you like and sides of meat, potatoes, and pancakes. The breakfast bar also had cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, and a waffle maker.

Everything was perfect except we didn't always get information we needed. Parking is kiddy-corner from the hotel. You can self-park, or for an additional amount, can have your car valet-parked. We choose to self park. After we parked, we found that at check-in we were supposed to have gotten a card to put on our dash. We didn't know and weren't given one. The weather wasn't nice, we had just walked back from the parking lot and now found we had to go back out and put the card on the dash. Fortunately, the very nice doorman agreed to do that for us.

We were attending a wedding reception and opted to take the free shuttle offered by the hotel. A very nice driver shuttled us to the reception and gave us a card with a phone number to call when we needed to come back to the hotel. However, he neglected to tell us the shuttle service ended at 10:00 pm so when we called for the shuttle at 10:30 we found we didn't have a ride back.

So . . . the hotel was perfect except for the communication. Being a new hotel, I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out eventually.

Room Tip: Pick a large corner room. The windows let in lots of sunlight and there's plenty of space so yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kay H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Bettybook,

We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us overall and we appreciate you letting us know your concerns. We strive for a 100% satisfaction of all our guests and feedback like yours gives us direction on what we can improve on. The parking lot that we affiliate with is owned by the city and as you mentioned is located kiddy-corner from the hotel. The parking pass can be processed through a room charge and given at the front desk or it is possible to purchase a pass at the meter for the same price. I apologize for the miscommunication and that you did not receive the information you were looking for right away.

Please, feel free to get in touch with me directly if there is something more I can do for you.

Best,
Kay (414 271 6611)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a nice hotel with great architecture! Street a little busy on a Monday morning , was awaken by trucks at 5 am and they never stopped, the weekend was fine. We stayed on the side of the building looking out at a side street. Great location next to third ward, they offer a free shuttle to anywhere you want to go in the downtown area (Tip the guy of course) parking lot is ok and a block down, should be free with the stay but is not. Nice large rooms with high ceilings! Breakfast is delicious and it's only $10.00 definitely worth it. Friendly staff. Woukd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Glendale, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I selected this hotel for an exceedingly rare weekend get-a-way with my wife. We arranged a babysitter for our small children and booked a night at this hotel because it seemed perfect for our trip to Milwaukee. The hotel is located in downtown Milwaukee close to many of the city's amenities and landmarks, and also within walking distance to terrific dining. Even more attractive than the location, the hotel is in a beautifully renovated historic building and the architecture and interior details of the building are absolutely amazing. It is obvious the hotel is recently renovated, and it our room looked brand new.

Everything about the hotel was exceptional - except for one not-so-minor thing. The hotel is adjacent to an active nightclub, and the noise from the club made it difficult to sleep (even for sleep-deprived parents of small children...). We were unaware that there was a nightclub near the hotel, and equally unaware that our first floor suite was outside the club. The "thumping" and other noises from the nightclub were very loud, and made a would-be perfect trip less perfect than I had hoped. It was more difficult for me to overlook the problem than usual because the trip was "extra special" for us, and one of the few non-business trips I have taken in many years. Had I been staying for business, I probably would have sucked-it-up a little more. I found it unfortunate that our ONE night away from the children - our unique chance to get a really good night of sleep - was interrupted by the noise. We used static white-noise from our alarm clock radio to help mask the sound, but it didn't do much. It took us much longer to fall asleep than it should have, and our sleep wasn't exactly restful until the club finally shut down late at night.

I probably would have been more inclined to forgo leaving a review altogether, but I was frustrated by the response of the hotel staff in the morning. As we checked out, the person at the front desk asked whether we had any problems with our stay, and I explained that the noise from the club was annoying and unexpected. Rather than apologizing, she simply agreed, and stated that the hotel was trying to have the club shut down.

I expected more of a response, and felt like the way the situation was handled did not meet Hilton standard. If anything, the response frustrated me more because it indicated to me that the hotel management was well aware of the problem but did not do anything to inform guests about the noise, or take more remediation efforts when the hotel was renovated recently to block out sound.

Will I stay in a Hilton again? Of course. I prefer the Hilton brand to all others. Will I stay in this hotel again? In a heartbeat, if the hotel can fix the unacceptable noise problem. Last I checked, a primary function of hotels is to provide a place to sleep - and if noise renders sleep impossible (or near-to), the hotel isn't exactly functional for its purpose.

I am leaving this review because I would have appreciated knowing about the club before I booked my stay. I would have been able to make a better informed decision before booking my trip had I known about the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the night club.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kay H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Ragged Traveller,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I sincerely apologize for the noise disturbance that you experienced during your getaway stay with us. We are currently developing cards that will notify guests of such noise pollution along with a set of foam earplugs to minimize the disturbance. The night club is on their last warning and thanks to testimonies like yours we are able to support the file that will be used against them in court.

I am truly stunned at the response that you received from the front desk member when you expressed your concern. This will definitely be brought up as a serious training session in our next meeting.

In the mean time, please do not hesitate to let me know if there is absolutely anything I can do for you at this time to improve memories of your experience with us.

Phone 414 271 6611 ask for Kay.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here on business for a change from the Pfister, close to office and down town amenities, nice rooms with great bathrooms, however the cleaning of them is hit or miss, I had to ask for my room to be re-cleaned as they had missed the bathroom completely. Adding water to the room would be a good touch instead of having to buy it in the mini shop. The lobby and bar are ok but the bar closes at 11pm. The breakfast staff are very friendly but the system is a little odd a mixture of self service and ordering at the pass - stick to one or the other! Some mornings they were low on a fair amount of stock.The evening meals were very poor, my burger was like shoe leather and everything came with cheese (it is wisconsin!) Probably not stay here next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear S8C11,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. First of all let me apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during the housekeeping service! I assure you that something like this will not happen again.

Also, we appreciate you letting us know of the quality of some of our dinner items. We have recently redeveloped some menu items and so far the feedback has been great!
Again, I am sincerely sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience to the fullest, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you regarding this stay.
I sincerely hope to see you in Milwaukee soon and that you may consider staying with us again.

Kind regards,
Kay (phone number 414 271 6611)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Milwaukee to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I chose this hotel because it was pretty close to the train station. It looked very fancy in the pictures. The room was pretty and well kept. The Internet was fast as promised and the cable was also great as promised. The bed was comfy and the white sheets looked spotless. The bathroom was nice and spacious with a really nice shower. I slept pretty well for being out of the comfort of my home, so I guess you could say the hotel bed did its job.
Unfortunately on the first night somebody pulled the alarm and that thing is scary. It woke me up at 4 in the morning and scared the sheets off of me. It sucked because I was asleep in my pjs and I went straight to the lobby just to find out some ignorant person pulled the alarm. I'm glad it was a false alarm but it was really inconvenient. I'm trying to sleep in peace when I pay good money for a hotel and not be up in the middle of the night, worried that something is going to go wrong.
Other than that, it was a pretty decent place. I did however notice a blinking light in the middle of the night on the ceiling. Whenever I asked the person in the lobby they were unaware of what that was. They just assumed it was either a carbon monoxide detector or some sort of alarm. Those were their descriptions exactly. I was starting to worry that it was a camera some crazy person installed to spy on people. I wish the people who worked at the hotel would have known their hotel but I guess I was out of luck. I also dislike that nobody went out of their way to find out exactly what was in my room. I am still unaware as to what it is. It really creeped me out.
The place was nice but it could have been better. Thanks for reading my very first review everybody.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear ReliableCustomer91,

Thank you for sharing your memories and concerns regarding your stay.

I am truly sorry to hear that the fire alarm that was unintentionally pulled by the outsider scared and disturbed you during the night. I can imagine how terrifying the alarm sounded. In order to prevent something like this ever happening again, we have installed a security box on the alarm tab itself. It will prevent it from any ‘accidental’ misuse yet will still be available in case of a true emergency. Also we ensured to carry out training to all our staff members on the emergency PA system. They will be able to notify all guests in their guestrooms and hallways of the ongoing situation.

We apologize for the disturbance you have experienced.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best,
Kay.
414 271 6611
Poynette, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel itself is stunning, but that doesn't come close to the best part. The best part is definitely the hotel staff. They are friendly and accommodating and treated me like family.

It is important to me that my room is clean, and unless you had a way to prove differently to me, I will swear that I was the first person to ever stay in the suite. Of course that is crazy, but it was just that clean!

I was fortunate enough to meet a lot of the staff, and I'd like to mention them by their names. Diamond cleaned my room and was the gal who made it spotless. Wow, again! Lanique brought some cheesecake and a slice of pie up, and left a nice note. What a lovely young lady! Michelle was the first housekeeper I met, and she gave me a hug - talk about sweet! Shirley was the cutest lady and I just loved the little time I was able to talk to her. Of course, Tyler was the best of all of them. :) (For those reading this review to decide whether or not to stay at the hotel, Tyler is my son and I am definitely partial!) I also met the fastest sheet-folder in the business, Andre, Carter, the nice young man who drove us in the hotel van to and from our dinner destination and Ken from maintenance, who showed me what is behind the gorgeous vault doors.

It was my pleasure to meet the man behind the great team, Peter, who heads housekeeping. After meeting him, I understand why his employees are so engaged and happy, and why they do such a good job. What an incredible person!

This morning, I met Prince who was as friendly as could be, and I saw and talked to Logan who I already knew.

I know I was in a special situation where I was able to meet these wonderful people, and most guests aren't, but I wanted to mention them for all future guests, so you get an idea of what kind of caring people are behind-the-scenes giving you a wonderful hotel experience.

Stay at the Milwaukee Downtown Hilton Garden Inn, and I promise you that you will be very impressed and definitely want to return. It is just that nice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you need to stay in Milwaukee for business or pleasure, the Hilton Garden Inn on Broadway should be your choice. I was in Milwaukee for business consulting for 10 weeks and got to know this hotel and the surrounding area well. This lovingly restored architectural gem gives the feel of staying in a very grand, expensive hotel from the early 1900s. The rooms are large with 12/14" ceilings, comfortable and well appointed. Beds feel more like a B&B than a hotel with lots of pillows and soft sheets. The staff is definitely top notch – from the door men, front desk, and restaurant staff – to the house cleaning ladies. Everyone smiles and greets you, is engaging, and wants to know how they can help. Incredibly well run hotel providing service and an experience not easily found any more these days. The surrounding area and Third Ward District is delightful and a short walk from the hotel. Great restaurants, shops, salons and bars. And the lakefront and river are not far away either. In all my travels both domestic and abroad, I'd rate this hotel in the top tier. What a nice surprise. Going to need to find an excuse for my husband and I to come back this summer to stay at this HGI when it's warm out and we can enjoy lakefront activities.

Room Tip: I loved room 402 tucked in a corner away from hallway traffic. It has a king bed, a mantle, and lar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!