“Great stay minus the emergency alarm going off in the middle of the night and the ill informed staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown

Special Offer
Bed n Breakfast Deal
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Milwaukee to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I chose this hotel because it was pretty close to the train station. It looked very fancy in the pictures. The room was pretty and well kept. The Internet was fast as promised and the cable was also great as promised. The bed was comfy and the white sheets looked spotless. The bathroom was nice and spacious with a really nice shower. I slept pretty well for being out of the comfort of my home, so I guess you could say the hotel bed did its job.
Unfortunately on the first night somebody pulled the alarm and that thing is scary. It woke me up at 4 in the morning and scared the sheets off of me. It sucked because I was asleep in my pjs and I went straight to the lobby just to find out some ignorant person pulled the alarm. I'm glad it was a false alarm but it was really inconvenient. I'm trying to sleep in peace when I pay good money for a hotel and not be up in the middle of the night, worried that something is going to go wrong.
Other than that, it was a pretty decent place. I did however notice a blinking light in the middle of the night on the ceiling. Whenever I asked the person in the lobby they were unaware of what that was. They just assumed it was either a carbon monoxide detector or some sort of alarm. Those were their descriptions exactly. I was starting to worry that it was a camera some crazy person installed to spy on people. I wish the people who worked at the hotel would have known their hotel but I guess I was out of luck. I also dislike that nobody went out of their way to find out exactly what was in my room. I am still unaware as to what it is. It really creeped me out.
The place was nice but it could have been better. Thanks for reading my very first review everybody.

• Stayed February 2013
Kay H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear ReliableCustomer91,

Thank you for sharing your memories and concerns regarding your stay.

I am truly sorry to hear that the fire alarm that was unintentionally pulled by the outsider scared and disturbed you during the night. I can imagine how terrifying the alarm sounded. In order to prevent something like this ever happening again, we have installed a security box on the alarm tab itself. It will prevent it from any ‘accidental’ misuse yet will still be available in case of a true emergency. Also we ensured to carry out training to all our staff members on the emergency PA system. They will be able to notify all guests in their guestrooms and hallways of the ongoing situation.

We apologize for the disturbance you have experienced.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you any questions or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best,
Kay.
414 271 6611

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Poynette, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel itself is stunning, but that doesn't come close to the best part. The best part is definitely the hotel staff. They are friendly and accommodating and treated me like family.

It is important to me that my room is clean, and unless you had a way to prove differently to me, I will swear that I was the first person to ever stay in the suite. Of course that is crazy, but it was just that clean!

I was fortunate enough to meet a lot of the staff, and I'd like to mention them by their names. Diamond cleaned my room and was the gal who made it spotless. Wow, again! Lanique brought some cheesecake and a slice of pie up, and left a nice note. What a lovely young lady! Michelle was the first housekeeper I met, and she gave me a hug - talk about sweet! Shirley was the cutest lady and I just loved the little time I was able to talk to her. Of course, Tyler was the best of all of them. :) (For those reading this review to decide whether or not to stay at the hotel, Tyler is my son and I am definitely partial!) I also met the fastest sheet-folder in the business, Andre, Carter, the nice young man who drove us in the hotel van to and from our dinner destination and Ken from maintenance, who showed me what is behind the gorgeous vault doors.

It was my pleasure to meet the man behind the great team, Peter, who heads housekeeping. After meeting him, I understand why his employees are so engaged and happy, and why they do such a good job. What an incredible person!

This morning, I met Prince who was as friendly as could be, and I saw and talked to Logan who I already knew.

I know I was in a special situation where I was able to meet these wonderful people, and most guests aren't, but I wanted to mention them for all future guests, so you get an idea of what kind of caring people are behind-the-scenes giving you a wonderful hotel experience.

Stay at the Milwaukee Downtown Hilton Garden Inn, and I promise you that you will be very impressed and definitely want to return. It is just that nice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you need to stay in Milwaukee for business or pleasure, the Hilton Garden Inn on Broadway should be your choice. I was in Milwaukee for business consulting for 10 weeks and got to know this hotel and the surrounding area well. This lovingly restored architectural gem gives the feel of staying in a very grand, expensive hotel from the early 1900s. The rooms are large with 12/14" ceilings, comfortable and well appointed. Beds feel more like a B&B than a hotel with lots of pillows and soft sheets. The staff is definitely top notch – from the door men, front desk, and restaurant staff – to the house cleaning ladies. Everyone smiles and greets you, is engaging, and wants to know how they can help. Incredibly well run hotel providing service and an experience not easily found any more these days. The surrounding area and Third Ward District is delightful and a short walk from the hotel. Great restaurants, shops, salons and bars. And the lakefront and river are not far away either. In all my travels both domestic and abroad, I'd rate this hotel in the top tier. What a nice surprise. Going to need to find an excuse for my husband and I to come back this summer to stay at this HGI when it's warm out and we can enjoy lakefront activities.

Room Tip: I loved room 402 tucked in a corner away from hallway traffic. It has a king bed, a mantle, and lar...
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for two nights this week while visiting Marquette. This property is located in a beautiful, architecturally interesting historic building that was formerly a bank. The hotel just opened in November 2012. We had a room with 2 very comfortable queen beds. Large room with high ceilings and a tall bank of windows. Bathroom was also very large with the added bonus of super thick, soft towels! The room offered a desk/chair, a lounge chair/ottoman, mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Self Parking was very reasonable at $10/night. The lot is directly catty corner from the hotel. Less than a 30 sec walk. As long as the rates stay the same, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room fronted Broadway street. We did not hear any noise from the street.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Traveling for business and discovered this interesting hotel. I’ve stayed at quite a few over the years in downtown Milwaukee for work and this is one of the better properties. I think it used to be an old bank and was recently renovated. The ceilings inside the rooms must be at least 14ft tall- huge inside. The lobby and corridors of this hotel have a feeling of grandeur… granite and old wood trim decorate the inside.

Pro’s
– Great location downtown, walking distance to restaurants, within a safe part of town
– Staff was professional
– Rooms were clean, bed was comfortable, furnishing were modern
– Standard rooms had well-appointed amenities; coffee maker (extra bags for an additional batch of coffee-never see that), microwave, fridge.
– The most HDTV channel selections I’ve seen in a hotel in a long time!
– Free Wi-Fi, excellent signal strength
– Nice restaurant for breakfast… standard prices for a hotel.

Con’s
– Parking is a bit of a hassle, we parked at a lot down the street.

Room Tip: Alley facing rooms can be noisy when the garbage truck arrives early in the morning
Owasso, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights in order to hit up a Greenbay game and we felt a little out of place. All I packed were jeans and I wish I had a suit in order to walk through the lobby. That isn't to say I felt uncomfortable, the place is just that nice! If I'm ever back in Milwaukee I hope to check back in.

Let's make this quick with a pro and con list.

Pros: the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the location was near a few very tasty and pleasant local eateries, it was near enough to the heart of downtown to enjoy, but far away enough to get out of town quickly. The suite I stayed in had super high ceilings with some floor to ceiling windows. We had a living room with a fridge, microwave, couch, desk, and 2 televisions. The bed was very comfortable and it's always nice to stay in a hotel where there are more pillows and blankets in the closet. Free wifi is always nice. Lots of hot water for nice long showers.

Cons: paying daily for self parking across the street or valet parking. I just don't like paying for parking, that's life though :-) One night from about 1-3am it seemed there was music and activity in an adjacent building which was annoying and enough to keep waking me, but not exactly the hotel's fault. The bathroom didn't wow us, but that's not the reason we came.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had an internal struggle with how I was going to rate this hotel because the stay in it of itself was tremendous...but there was something that happened during the booking process beforehand that I didn't realize I had gotten completely scammed on until afterwards.

When I booked a room at this hotel, the woman told me about a Hilton Grand Vacation package that would earn me $200 towards a free room if I got it. I'm an avid traveler, so I figured I'd listen to the pitch. She transferred me over to someone else who offered me a 2 night, 3 day package in Las Vegas anytime in the next year for $150, and that I'd also get $200 worth of credit to stay at any Hilton hotel. I still didn't bite because they wanted me to book it within the next 45 days. So she also offered what she said was enough Hilton points that would cover a night at a similar hotel in pricing to the Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee that I had just booked the room for. So with the perks it sounded pretty good, and I went ahead with it.

Fast forward 2 weeks later when I'm trying to book a room with these supposed points and $200 credit. The first time I try, I'm told there weren't any redemption rooms available, meaning I can't use any of these "perks". I said OK, whatever, I'll just use try again next time. Second time, same thing, but they also let me in on a dirty little secret...they didn't put NEARLY as many points as you need for a full night. I was at least 25,000 points short of a free night. And I don't even get those points until 6 weeks after I stay in Vegas, same with the $200 credit, despite the fact that I already paid for that trip in full. None of which was told to me when they sold me this. Although even if I have it, I'm guessing that I'll have a ton of poor luck EVER finding a "redemption room" that I can actually use that stuff on anyway.

Also, you can't go on this trip anytime you want. You have to take a tour of the Hilton Grand when you get to Vegas, which I also wasn't told about, or else they charge you retail price for the stay, which they value at $200 per night even though you can book a room on their own website for about half of that. The other problem with this is they don't have these tours all the time, so you have to plan your trip based on it. I wanted to take my girlfriend on this trip on the 31st for the New Year's Eve...but they don't have a tour until January 2nd. So they said if I wanted to take my trip that day, I'd have to pay for another room on the 1st so I could make the tour on the 2nd. I can not believe they were serious about that...but they 100% were.

Finally to the positives...this hotel, singularly, is actually outstanding. Great location, beautiful interior, very nice room for the value and unbeatable service, aside from the woman who referred me to this bogus scam. Go down to the hotel bar and they'll make you a fantastic Bloody Mary too. I was actually raving about this hotel because I've stayed just about everywhere in Milwaukee and I would've rated this #2 in the entire city, just behind the Iron Horse...honestly perhaps even #1 considering how much more expensive the Iron Horse is and the stay there was only marginally better.

I fully understand it's my own fault too to get involved in an "offer" like that. And even to me it seems perhaps a little unfair to rate this hotel that is comprised primarily of extremely nice staff members...but they should still be held accountable for referring their customers to such highway robbery.

All of this is why I very much struggled with how I was going to rate this hotel. But ultimately, I felt like I had to rate the entire experience from start to finish. And when I look back, no matter how great the actual stay was...I now have an extremely bitter taste in my mouth from dealing with the Hilton.

In the end, while I'm personally really not sure I could ever do business with the Hilton ever again...I'll try to be fair to any prospective consumers...you should absolutely stay at this hotel if you're in Milwaukee. But DO NOT fall for any of their scams the way I did. Only stay here, buy or get involved with NOTHING else from these people and you will have a very positive experience.

- Joe Briggs

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Joe B. Thank you so much for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, however we apologize if you felt in any way misled by the Hilton Grand Vacations experience/offer. This type of customer service is not typical of our company and we can’t apologize enough for the confusion you endured. We thank you for your comments about the property and we are always looking to improve. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate Hilton departments. Please feel free to contact us directly if we can be of further service or assistance. Kind regards, Lisa F. General Manager

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!