“Gem of a Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Gem of a Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you need to stay in Milwaukee for business or pleasure, the Hilton Garden Inn on Broadway should be your choice. I was in Milwaukee for business consulting for 10 weeks and got to know this hotel and the surrounding area well. This lovingly restored architectural gem gives the feel of staying in a very grand, expensive hotel from the early 1900s. The rooms are large with 12/14" ceilings, comfortable and well appointed. Beds feel more like a B&B than a hotel with lots of pillows and soft sheets. The staff is definitely top notch – from the door men, front desk, and restaurant staff – to the house cleaning ladies. Everyone smiles and greets you, is engaging, and wants to know how they can help. Incredibly well run hotel providing service and an experience not easily found any more these days. The surrounding area and Third Ward District is delightful and a short walk from the hotel. Great restaurants, shops, salons and bars. And the lakefront and river are not far away either. In all my travels both domestic and abroad, I'd rate this hotel in the top tier. What a nice surprise. Going to need to find an excuse for my husband and I to come back this summer to stay at this HGI when it's warm out and we can enjoy lakefront activities.

Room Tip: I loved room 402 tucked in a corner away from hallway traffic. It has a king bed, a mantle, and lar...

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for two nights this week while visiting Marquette. This property is located in a beautiful, architecturally interesting historic building that was formerly a bank. The hotel just opened in November 2012. We had a room with 2 very comfortable queen beds. Large room with high ceilings and a tall bank of windows. Bathroom was also very large with the added bonus of super thick, soft towels! The room offered a desk/chair, a lounge chair/ottoman, mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Self Parking was very reasonable at $10/night. The lot is directly catty corner from the hotel. Less than a 30 sec walk. As long as the rates stay the same, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room fronted Broadway street. We did not hear any noise from the street.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Traveling for business and discovered this interesting hotel. I’ve stayed at quite a few over the years in downtown Milwaukee for work and this is one of the better properties. I think it used to be an old bank and was recently renovated. The ceilings inside the rooms must be at least 14ft tall- huge inside. The lobby and corridors of this hotel have a feeling of grandeur… granite and old wood trim decorate the inside.

Pro’s
– Great location downtown, walking distance to restaurants, within a safe part of town
– Staff was professional
– Rooms were clean, bed was comfortable, furnishing were modern
– Standard rooms had well-appointed amenities; coffee maker (extra bags for an additional batch of coffee-never see that), microwave, fridge.
– The most HDTV channel selections I’ve seen in a hotel in a long time!
– Free Wi-Fi, excellent signal strength
– Nice restaurant for breakfast… standard prices for a hotel.

Con’s
– Parking is a bit of a hassle, we parked at a lot down the street.

Room Tip: Alley facing rooms can be noisy when the garbage truck arrives early in the morning
Owasso, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights in order to hit up a Greenbay game and we felt a little out of place. All I packed were jeans and I wish I had a suit in order to walk through the lobby. That isn't to say I felt uncomfortable, the place is just that nice! If I'm ever back in Milwaukee I hope to check back in.

Let's make this quick with a pro and con list.

Pros: the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the location was near a few very tasty and pleasant local eateries, it was near enough to the heart of downtown to enjoy, but far away enough to get out of town quickly. The suite I stayed in had super high ceilings with some floor to ceiling windows. We had a living room with a fridge, microwave, couch, desk, and 2 televisions. The bed was very comfortable and it's always nice to stay in a hotel where there are more pillows and blankets in the closet. Free wifi is always nice. Lots of hot water for nice long showers.

Cons: paying daily for self parking across the street or valet parking. I just don't like paying for parking, that's life though :-) One night from about 1-3am it seemed there was music and activity in an adjacent building which was annoying and enough to keep waking me, but not exactly the hotel's fault. The bathroom didn't wow us, but that's not the reason we came.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had an internal struggle with how I was going to rate this hotel because the stay in it of itself was tremendous...but there was something that happened during the booking process beforehand that I didn't realize I had gotten completely scammed on until afterwards.

When I booked a room at this hotel, the woman told me about a Hilton Grand Vacation package that would earn me $200 towards a free room if I got it. I'm an avid traveler, so I figured I'd listen to the pitch. She transferred me over to someone else who offered me a 2 night, 3 day package in Las Vegas anytime in the next year for $150, and that I'd also get $200 worth of credit to stay at any Hilton hotel. I still didn't bite because they wanted me to book it within the next 45 days. So she also offered what she said was enough Hilton points that would cover a night at a similar hotel in pricing to the Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee that I had just booked the room for. So with the perks it sounded pretty good, and I went ahead with it.

Fast forward 2 weeks later when I'm trying to book a room with these supposed points and $200 credit. The first time I try, I'm told there weren't any redemption rooms available, meaning I can't use any of these "perks". I said OK, whatever, I'll just use try again next time. Second time, same thing, but they also let me in on a dirty little secret...they didn't put NEARLY as many points as you need for a full night. I was at least 25,000 points short of a free night. And I don't even get those points until 6 weeks after I stay in Vegas, same with the $200 credit, despite the fact that I already paid for that trip in full. None of which was told to me when they sold me this. Although even if I have it, I'm guessing that I'll have a ton of poor luck EVER finding a "redemption room" that I can actually use that stuff on anyway.

Also, you can't go on this trip anytime you want. You have to take a tour of the Hilton Grand when you get to Vegas, which I also wasn't told about, or else they charge you retail price for the stay, which they value at $200 per night even though you can book a room on their own website for about half of that. The other problem with this is they don't have these tours all the time, so you have to plan your trip based on it. I wanted to take my girlfriend on this trip on the 31st for the New Year's Eve...but they don't have a tour until January 2nd. So they said if I wanted to take my trip that day, I'd have to pay for another room on the 1st so I could make the tour on the 2nd. I can not believe they were serious about that...but they 100% were.

Finally to the positives...this hotel, singularly, is actually outstanding. Great location, beautiful interior, very nice room for the value and unbeatable service, aside from the woman who referred me to this bogus scam. Go down to the hotel bar and they'll make you a fantastic Bloody Mary too. I was actually raving about this hotel because I've stayed just about everywhere in Milwaukee and I would've rated this #2 in the entire city, just behind the Iron Horse...honestly perhaps even #1 considering how much more expensive the Iron Horse is and the stay there was only marginally better.

I fully understand it's my own fault too to get involved in an "offer" like that. And even to me it seems perhaps a little unfair to rate this hotel that is comprised primarily of extremely nice staff members...but they should still be held accountable for referring their customers to such highway robbery.

All of this is why I very much struggled with how I was going to rate this hotel. But ultimately, I felt like I had to rate the entire experience from start to finish. And when I look back, no matter how great the actual stay was...I now have an extremely bitter taste in my mouth from dealing with the Hilton.

In the end, while I'm personally really not sure I could ever do business with the Hilton ever again...I'll try to be fair to any prospective consumers...you should absolutely stay at this hotel if you're in Milwaukee. But DO NOT fall for any of their scams the way I did. Only stay here, buy or get involved with NOTHING else from these people and you will have a very positive experience.

- Joe Briggs

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Joe B. Thank you so much for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, however we apologize if you felt in any way misled by the Hilton Grand Vacations experience/offer. This type of customer service is not typical of our company and we can’t apologize enough for the confusion you endured. We thank you for your comments about the property and we are always looking to improve. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate Hilton departments. Please feel free to contact us directly if we can be of further service or assistance. Kind regards, Lisa F. General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night when she was relocating to Milwaukee. Beautiful old building, everything was gorgeous! The beds were so comfortable, we asked if we could book the following night to pamper ourselves. The hotel was sold out for a large wedding but I will be back to visit and will book here again! After reading other reviews, I did ask for a quiet room away from the alley and had no problems with noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the alley where trash trucks pick up early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lisa F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello, Thank you for your wonderful review and we are so happy that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return. Kind Regards, Lisa, General Manager
Midwest, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here just one week after it opened in November 2012. The location is great, right in the downtown. Our room was a suite, very large and functional, with a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The towels and linens were high quality and the bed was very comfortable. The building was formerly a bank and is stunning. We loved our stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!