“Classy and Comfy” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Owasso, Oklahoma
“Classy and Comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights in order to hit up a Greenbay game and we felt a little out of place. All I packed were jeans and I wish I had a suit in order to walk through the lobby. That isn't to say I felt uncomfortable, the place is just that nice! If I'm ever back in Milwaukee I hope to check back in.

Let's make this quick with a pro and con list.

Pros: the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the location was near a few very tasty and pleasant local eateries, it was near enough to the heart of downtown to enjoy, but far away enough to get out of town quickly. The suite I stayed in had super high ceilings with some floor to ceiling windows. We had a living room with a fridge, microwave, couch, desk, and 2 televisions. The bed was very comfortable and it's always nice to stay in a hotel where there are more pillows and blankets in the closet. Free wifi is always nice. Lots of hot water for nice long showers.

Cons: paying daily for self parking across the street or valet parking. I just don't like paying for parking, that's life though :-) One night from about 1-3am it seemed there was music and activity in an adjacent building which was annoying and enough to keep waking me, but not exactly the hotel's fault. The bathroom didn't wow us, but that's not the reason we came.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had an internal struggle with how I was going to rate this hotel because the stay in it of itself was tremendous...but there was something that happened during the booking process beforehand that I didn't realize I had gotten completely scammed on until afterwards.

When I booked a room at this hotel, the woman told me about a Hilton Grand Vacation package that would earn me $200 towards a free room if I got it. I'm an avid traveler, so I figured I'd listen to the pitch. She transferred me over to someone else who offered me a 2 night, 3 day package in Las Vegas anytime in the next year for $150, and that I'd also get $200 worth of credit to stay at any Hilton hotel. I still didn't bite because they wanted me to book it within the next 45 days. So she also offered what she said was enough Hilton points that would cover a night at a similar hotel in pricing to the Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee that I had just booked the room for. So with the perks it sounded pretty good, and I went ahead with it.

Fast forward 2 weeks later when I'm trying to book a room with these supposed points and $200 credit. The first time I try, I'm told there weren't any redemption rooms available, meaning I can't use any of these "perks". I said OK, whatever, I'll just use try again next time. Second time, same thing, but they also let me in on a dirty little secret...they didn't put NEARLY as many points as you need for a full night. I was at least 25,000 points short of a free night. And I don't even get those points until 6 weeks after I stay in Vegas, same with the $200 credit, despite the fact that I already paid for that trip in full. None of which was told to me when they sold me this. Although even if I have it, I'm guessing that I'll have a ton of poor luck EVER finding a "redemption room" that I can actually use that stuff on anyway.

Also, you can't go on this trip anytime you want. You have to take a tour of the Hilton Grand when you get to Vegas, which I also wasn't told about, or else they charge you retail price for the stay, which they value at $200 per night even though you can book a room on their own website for about half of that. The other problem with this is they don't have these tours all the time, so you have to plan your trip based on it. I wanted to take my girlfriend on this trip on the 31st for the New Year's Eve...but they don't have a tour until January 2nd. So they said if I wanted to take my trip that day, I'd have to pay for another room on the 1st so I could make the tour on the 2nd. I can not believe they were serious about that...but they 100% were.

Finally to the positives...this hotel, singularly, is actually outstanding. Great location, beautiful interior, very nice room for the value and unbeatable service, aside from the woman who referred me to this bogus scam. Go down to the hotel bar and they'll make you a fantastic Bloody Mary too. I was actually raving about this hotel because I've stayed just about everywhere in Milwaukee and I would've rated this #2 in the entire city, just behind the Iron Horse...honestly perhaps even #1 considering how much more expensive the Iron Horse is and the stay there was only marginally better.

I fully understand it's my own fault too to get involved in an "offer" like that. And even to me it seems perhaps a little unfair to rate this hotel that is comprised primarily of extremely nice staff members...but they should still be held accountable for referring their customers to such highway robbery.

All of this is why I very much struggled with how I was going to rate this hotel. But ultimately, I felt like I had to rate the entire experience from start to finish. And when I look back, no matter how great the actual stay was...I now have an extremely bitter taste in my mouth from dealing with the Hilton.

In the end, while I'm personally really not sure I could ever do business with the Hilton ever again...I'll try to be fair to any prospective consumers...you should absolutely stay at this hotel if you're in Milwaukee. But DO NOT fall for any of their scams the way I did. Only stay here, buy or get involved with NOTHING else from these people and you will have a very positive experience.

- Joe Briggs

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Joe B. Thank you so much for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, however we apologize if you felt in any way misled by the Hilton Grand Vacations experience/offer. This type of customer service is not typical of our company and we can’t apologize enough for the confusion you endured. We thank you for your comments about the property and we are always looking to improve. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate Hilton departments. Please feel free to contact us directly if we can be of further service or assistance. Kind regards, Lisa F. General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for one night when she was relocating to Milwaukee. Beautiful old building, everything was gorgeous! The beds were so comfortable, we asked if we could book the following night to pamper ourselves. The hotel was sold out for a large wedding but I will be back to visit and will book here again! After reading other reviews, I did ask for a quiet room away from the alley and had no problems with noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the alley where trash trucks pick up early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lisa F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello, Thank you for your wonderful review and we are so happy that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return. Kind Regards, Lisa, General Manager
Midwest, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed here just one week after it opened in November 2012. The location is great, right in the downtown. Our room was a suite, very large and functional, with a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The towels and linens were high quality and the bed was very comfortable. The building was formerly a bank and is stunning. We loved our stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Green Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed on the second floor, which had me worried about the large open area for the noise, which is really beautiful by the way. Our room was very spacious and up to date, as well as clean and functional which included a mini fridge and microwave, which was an extra bonus. The location was perfect and allows people to talk to the public market if you choose or many other Milwaukee attractions, but you can easily park or take public transportation from this location as well.

The room looked very clean and had three giant windows facing the street which was very nice, despite that the drawn shades could properly block excess light. The room was very quite and we didn't have any troubles what so ever. Also parking can be had across the street for a nominal price. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn in Downtown Milwaukee just two days after it opened. It is a beautifully remodeled facility and has great potential. It was clear to us that the staff was trying very hard to please its new customers. They were very polite and attempted to be very helpful. However, there definitely were start-up glitches. For example, the man who greeted us curbside and took our bags did not know where to recommend that I park. Valet parking was $24 a night, and I opted for self-park but had to drive around to find a nearby public parking ramp that apparently he did not know about. The front desk staff was very friendly. Our room was very nicely furnished with new, comfortable chairs, couch, a refrigerator, two modern TVs and a very comfortable bed. Also the location of the hotel is wonderful if you are going to the Riverside Theater or one of many restaurants or bars in the area.

But here is the huge overwhelming problem we had with the new Downtown Milwaukee Hilton Garden Inn … We were placed in a room adjacent to a dingy narrow alley filled with garbage bins and loading docks. The view from our window could not have been more dismal. But that wasn’t the worst of it. After a night on the town, and a good start to our night’s sleep, it all ended at 5:30 a.m. when the garbage trucks started emptying the bins in the alley. It was the worst racket you can imagine. The very loud clanging of the garbage bins and the beep-beep-beep of the trucks backing up could not be masked by putting pillows over our heads. (We were on the first floor so these trucks were literally right outside the window next to our bed.) And the noise lasted off and on for a good hour, with the trucks going up and down the alley and nearby areas.

I don’t know what the hotel can do about this, but honestly the main reason a person stays at a hotel is for a good night’s sleep and there is simply no way to get one if you are put in a room along this alley. The most friendly, helpful and professional hotel staff cannot overcome the unbearable clanging of trucks and garbage bins at 5:30 a.m.

I would not write this hotel off. Like I said, it is a beautiful facility and appears to be well-managed. It has a gorgeous atrium and is in a fully refurbished historic building. But if you are going to stay there be sure to ask for a room on the east side of the building as far from the alley on the west side as you can get.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the east side of the hotel, far away from the noisy alley on the west s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!