“Pabst History” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 76 Attractions in Milwaukee
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring 37 rooms, 12 baths and 14 fireplaces, sea captain and beer baron Captain Frederick Pabst's castle-like home was built in Flemish Renaissance style on Milwaukee's Grand Avenue of Mansions.
Stillman Valley, IL
3 attraction reviews
“Pabst History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Very interesting to see the architecture of this old home that has been saved. The restoration is not complete yet but will be fabulous when finished.

Visited March 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
23 attraction reviews
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I'm not impressed with this mansion what-so-ever . . . . The aesthetics of the building are not maintained, and this is clearly evident when you enter the museum's "Entrance." It is really quite sad, as this is a remarkable gem that just ins't loved. I believe this has been deemed as either a Wisconsin or a Milwaukee historical landmark, and I'm really quite surprised at how poorly maintained everything is. The only attraction worth comment that ISN'T falling apart/in need a major renovation is the doll house on display in one of the bedrooms. Not worth the entrance fee.

Visited October 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
“Absolutely gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I took my "Little" sister to the Pabst last summer. I was a "Big" sister and part of our weekly visits was to expose her to things she's never seen. I've traveled around the world and have seen a lot of palaces, castles, cathedrals, etc. I almost feel ashamed that I waited so long to see the Pabst mansion, considering I lived in Milwaukee all my life, but we kind of o that, don't we? Skip the local things in favor of the exotic.

Anyways, it is gorgeous! There is no other way to describe it. You get a real feel for how the Pabst family lived as you get you walk into the rooms; they're not cordoned off. The added bonus is that the Pabst is part of a three historical house pass--Charles Allis and Villa Terrace are the other two--for one price, so we went to see the beautiful gardens of Villa Terrace for a good price (I think it was $12.00 per person).

Visited August 2012
Belleville, wi
15 attraction reviews
“So interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My 11year old daughter and I just toured the mansion and it was entertaining for both of us, not just the beauty, but the stories about the history , we learned so much. Parking was easy and just walked in signed up for next tour which run every hour, and so inexpensive . They continue to restore more rooms, so would like to go back again in future, they say it is beautiful during Xmas

Visited March 2013
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My 12 year old daughter and I toured the mansion and we loved it! The docent had grown up in the neighborhood and had great stories to tell. She was so knowledgeable about the history of the house and family and was very informative about the restoration work being done. Check out the beautiful built in cabinets in the dining room - gorgeous! Will definitely go again.

Visited August 2012