“Breakfast for lunch at a Fifth Ward/Walkers Point cafe” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
West Bend, WI
“Breakfast for lunch at a Fifth Ward/Walkers Point cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The area is known for trendy renovated buildings with brick, beams and rustic atmosphere. Zak's Cafe provided all these for a modern, downtown atmosphere. They serve breakfast until 3PM so my husband had a three egg omelet with swiss and mushroom which he said was excellent. The hash browns were very good also.

I ordered the Lobster Benedict which was only average. The poached egg was more of a soft boiled (no juicy yolk oozing out) and the sauce which was supposed to be tarragon Benedict did not have a hint of tarragon. The muffin too was kind of soggy rather than crisp and chewy.

Our server apologized for our rather long wait for our food and perhaps the dish sat too long in the kitchen. So, half really good, half so-so, but all with a cool atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Elgin, Illinois
“Good Service and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I found this place down the street from our hotel. We stopped in for lunch just after noon on a Saturday. We were greeted and seated immediately by the staff. They were very friendly and attentive throughout the visit. The atmosphere was good..it's a cool urban cafe with modern decor. It was busy enough without forcing long waits to sit or eat. There is a full bar and breakfast is served till 3pm. My wife loved the stuffed french toast. My pulled pork and fries were good/ not great. Overall good experience. If we travel back to the area we wouldn't hesitate to drop in again.

• Visited September 2012
Milwaukee, Wi
“Breakfast items tasty,sandwich not so good,great service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Ate here with a group on a late Saturday morning. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. The breakfast items such as stuffed french toast, french toast, breakfast burrito were said to be very good by those in the group that had them. I had breakfast earlier so had the BLT with avocado sandwich. The brioche bread was so thick, the sandwich filling so thick I could not get my mouth around it. Also the bread was very dry and not very tasty. This is a very large sandwich. I ended up taking the sandwich apart, eating the filling with my fork and the bread like a piece of toast. I took one half home, ate the bacon with breakfast the next day, the rest of the filling like a salad and hubby ate the bread. All in all not a very good sandwich experience. The setting is modern, with clean lines. There is an upstairs open seating area as well as outdoor seating. It is in a warehouse district but be careful about the parking restrictions so you don't get a parking ticket.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great brunch, service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We went to Zak's for brunch on Sunday of our 3 day weekend, and it was great. Of course, started with Bloody Mary's, which in Milwaukee all seem to come with a shrimp on top, along with a host of other garnishes. I had two and suggested the waiter hold the toppings on the second. I had the eggs benedict, which is always a safe choice. Zak's was well prepared, with the yolks oozing and whites set perfectly. The partner had the mushroom and Swiss omelet and prounounced it delicious. We had a great waiter (Thom) who was extremely customer service focused, however it did seem that diners in other sections of the restaurant were getting somewhat uneven service. We were in the upper level, and to their credit, an owner/manager was dispatched to make the rounds, and she checked on everyone to make sure they were enjoying their experience. Nice independent shop.

• Visited April 2012
Wauwatosa, WI
“Outstanding Food and Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Four people, four entrees, four smiles!

We went with another couple and were seated outside immediately. Our server was friendly and brought drinks.

As we were studying the menu, another diner was leaving a he recommended the meat loaf and carrot cake. I'm partial to meat loaf, so my mind was immediately made up. The others ordered scallops, a dinner salad, and a burger.

We all loved our entrees but the meat loaf was extremelyh good. The portion filled the plate. I shared a bit of it with the others and took home more than half. I weighed the piece I took home--1 pound!

Four of us split the piece of carrot cake (and we hardly ever order dessert). It tasted homemade.

Our bill for the entrees a beer, a glass of wine, iced tea, and dessert was under $80.

• Visited July 2012