“Expensive but Fun for a Few Hours” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 92 Attractions in Milwaukee
Type: Science Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Discovery World connects innovation, science, technology and the environment with exploration and learning through interactive exhibits and experiential learning programs. We are dedicated to helping people positively impact their communities by developing a better understanding of technology and the environment while fostering both innovation and creativity. Discovery World is a 120,000-square foot facility that includes interactive science, technology and freshwater exhibits, learning labs, theaters, television and audio studios, and fresh and saltwater aquariums. Venture into our world of technology Take a 3-D journey into virtual environments. Feel the dips and dives of flying an airplane. Lie on a bed of nails. See the inside of a nuclear reactor. Immerse yourself in our world of water See aquatic life from the Great Lakes, North Atlantic, and the Caribbean. Interact with stingrays, sea urchins, sturgeons, and more in our touch tank. Navigate your own ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle). View the world's largest model of the Great Lakes while you learn about native amphibians, reptiles, and fish. Discovery World is also home to the S/V Denis Sullivan, a 137-foot replica of a 19th century Great Lakes schooner and a floating classroom for water education and conservation programs, day and night sails, and private receptions. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, our grounds and promenade provide plenty of opportunity for strolling, picnicking or just enjoying the view.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
47 attraction reviews
“Expensive but Fun for a Few Hours”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I find Discovery World to be rather expensive (abt. $16.95 for an adult) and we would not have done it but we had an Entertainment coupon that helped to curve the expense. On the day we visited they had local art vendors so it was interesting to see the items for sale as well as the attractions of Discovery World. Since my first visit, they added a few more things, but my kids enjoyed the water area with the ship and then, and mostly, the hamster wheel. It was enjoyable, but probably won't visit for many years to come. I've been at other interactive museums in the States that I found to be a lot more interesting and fun then the Discovery Museum (and cheaper).

Visited December 2012

Grafton, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“STEM day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My son loves Discovery World! He had so much fun on STEM day. It was very busy but we had no problems enjoying the day.

Visited November 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Glad we went”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We took my two nephews and niece here last year (ages 6, 5, and 3) and spent three or four hours here. A lot of the stuff was for kids a little older than them, but everything was so interactive that the kids still loved it. The aquarium was a nice surprise--I didn't realize it was even there before we went! There's a cool "aquarium tunnel" that I'd to go see again!

Milwaukee, Wi
13 attraction reviews
“I wish Discovery World was good - but its terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've visited Discovery World a number of times and the most recent visit confirmed my fears that its a bad museum. The place has very little identity - its lay-out is confusing and many of the larger exhibits are rather boring and poorly designed.

There is a small aquarium which is fairly interesting, and the suspended ship is worth seeing. The rest of the exhibits are either poorly conceived or boring. As an adult interested in science and technology, this museum leaves me confused and a little angry.

The endless stream of schoolkids seem to enjoy the place, but don't go out of your way to visit. I hate to say it, but go straight to Chicago instead and visit the Field Museum, Science Museum or Shedd - Discovery World is a very weak contender to nearby heavyweights.

Visited August 2012
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Toooo expensive. Tooo much broken stuff.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place is not worth your money. Too much for tickets. $15 just for parking. Lots of hands on but so much is broken/not working. The only good thing is if you can take a ride on that Denis Sullivan (tall ship) but even that is quite expensive.

Visited February 2012