“Deceiving Web-site and Terrible Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
A TripAdvisor Member
“Deceiving Web-site and Terrible Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

I am a business traveler and I should have been smart enough to read reviews of this hotel before coming to Milwaukee. HUGE MISTAKE!!! This hotel was terrible. The room was so gross that I wouldn't even sleep under the bedspread. The carpet was covered with stains, as was the bedspreads. The sink in the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and was disgusting. The ac was set for 45 (yes, 45) and yet it felt like 85 in the room. There was no internet access in the rooms (well, dial up, if you call that access) which was very misleading on their web-site. The web-site states that there is free high-speed wireless access, yet that is only in the hotel lobby or across the street. What business traveler wants to use DIAL-UP??? There was no desk, which according to the web-site is also a standard amenity. The room didn't even have an alarm clock!!! I had to check in across the street which was very annoying when I arrived in the evening. They told me at the front desk of the Ambassador Hotel (where I had to check in) that the computer systems were down at the Executive. Yet there is a gold-plated sign in the door of the Executive asking evening guests to check in across the street. They can't afford a front desk staff at the Executive? Because there was no staff (I saw NO ONE, even though I was told there was security) I did not feel safe in the hotel. Even bolting and using the safety chain did not make me feel safe. It's too bad this hotel was so awful because it does have one thing going for it, location.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

This hotel was absolutely filthy--stains on the carpet, the bedspread and the furniture. Very strong odor in the room. I've never seen such a disgusting place. I've stayed at cleaner $30 a night hotels off of major freeways in my younger days. The hotel is managed by a place across the street called the Ambassador Hotel. There is no one monitoring the desk at the Executive Inn and you are required to cross the street to check in at the Ambassador. There did not seem to be much in the way of security. The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy and without anyone at the front desk I would be concerned about safety, particularly in the evenings. The hotel lobby also appeared to be a place for all sorts of people to congregate (as the front door is not locked). In fact, several hours after checking in I called to complain and upgraded to the Ambassador (which by the way is a spectacular hotel--5 stars). I had to pay more but given the situation at the Executive Inn it was worth it. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider staying here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

We had a serious problem in missing a business meeting due to an error in giving us a wake up call. Left 7 messages for John Lindsey (manager) to call me to discuss this problem. Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which gave him 2 chances to respond. He didn't. This is not the first time that the better business bureau has tried to resolve a complaint. I know the owner is trying to salvage the reputation of this hotel, and has spent a great deal of time and money to do so. He should look into his general manager, who is costing him business.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

Terrible service, very dangerous neighborhood, disgusting rooms, a party hotel don’t expect to get any sleep, way to expensive for a terrible hotel in the ghetto.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2005

It was about 10 below when we arrived, and then found out that we had to check in across the street. We carried all of our luggage across the street in this horrible weather to check in. All this work in the cold to get to the most disgusting room I've ever had to stay in. If you like worn out dirty comforters, this would be the place to stay. If you like one year old potato chips from the vending machine, this would also be the place to stay. I will never attempt to stay there again, or recommend to anyone.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2004

This hotel was OK. First, we got there and they were doing construction on the hotel, so we had to go across the street to check in at their "sister hotel". We checked in and went to our room and it was clearly not cleaned at all. The bed sheets had been tampered with, there were black plastic bags with empty beer bottles, and there was a used wash cloth in the bathroom. We called the front desk and asked to switch rooms, which they did without a problem. They had a bellhop come from across the street to bring us a new room key. This next room was cleaner, but could have been better. There were some beer cans underneath the air conditioner, but at least they cleaned everything they saw. I probably would stay there again, especially if you're going to the Rave (venue) because it's right down the street. You can see it from just the right hotel room. That's a plus.

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!