“Hideousness.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Hideousness.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed here during a business trip last week for three nights, and was not aware that I had been booked in the Inn until the day before I flew into Milwaukee. The Ambassador Hotel across the street is very nice, and this is the "budget friendly" sister hotel. If I had a sister like this, though, I wouldn't be advertising my relationship...

Upon entering the building, the entry is dark and dingy. Check in was relatively easy, but when I asked for two room keys, I was only given one. When I asked why, I was told that we were only allowed one key card per room. Fine. I went to take the elevator to my third floor room, and the waiting area by the spiral staircase was hot and smelled like day old McDonald's french fries. The elevator was the same, and was teeny. The hallway on the way to my room was dark and dingy, and there was a box fan in the middle of the hall in an attempt to cool the area down. It wasn't really working.

The room itself is depressing. It's not clean, the carpeting is gross (it feels like a frat house basement carpet, with unknown stains and smells) - I actually would not walk around without flip-flops on. There was hair from the previous guest on the small fridge, and the rubber strip sealing the fridge was very grimy. The microwave was clean, but no way was I eating in that room. Details are sparse - no room art, there is a gap under the door of about an inch, the shower curtain liner has dark mildew along the bottom edge, the doors are framed not in a decorative molding but with two inch plywood strips that have been painted. My television quit working several times - the first few times I reset it myself, but the las tmorning it just died. I didn't bother telling anyone because it was not worth the hassle. Overall, it's just a dingy, cut-rate motel, and I have stayed in nicer places on the side of the highway.

The business meeting I was attending was located on the first floor - you could smell smoke from either where someone was smoking outside or in one of the rooms upstairs. You could also hear staff banging in a kitchen type area throughout the meeting, the sound quality was poor, and overall the room was just simply dark and depressing. The snacks provided to the attendees were lackluster, and upon snooping behind the black curtain at the back of the room, I saw they kept old mini bagels from our previous morning meeting in a ziploc bag in an old cooler. Who knows who were served those items? Perhaps they went into the breakfast area the next day?

I would never, ever stay here again. I've stayed overseas in some pretty basic hotels, but nothing like this. This is like a hotel that rents rooms our by the hour, I'm not kidding. I flew home and took a long hot shower to wash off the "Ewww" immediately.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Long story short..... WORST HOTEL IN THE CITY OF MILWAUKEE. If you want good service, try to book ANYWHERE but this hotel.

Long story - I live on the east coast and I booked a night at the Ambassador Inn approximately 2 months in advance using a credit card. About a month before my reserved date, there were some fraudulent charges on my credit card leading to my bank cancelling my card and sending me a new one. The evening before my reservation, at 6:30, I get an email from the Ambassador Inn asking me to fill out a survey as to why I cancelled my reservation. I quickly called the hotel to ensure they were mistaken.. sadly, they were not. They explained to me that they tried to charge my credit card (yes, charge it the night before) and it would not go through so THEY CANCELLED MY RESERVATION... yes... they cancelled my reservation and gave it away the night before while the entire city of Milwaukee was booked. They told me they called me... yea, sure... they called me WHILE I WAS IN THE PLANE WITHOUT RECEPTION. And guess what, they didn't have any other rooms available. I offered another credit card, I did everything- they wouldn't help me in any way, shape or form. They didn't even give me a different hotel recommendation.

I called the entire city of Milwaukee looking for a room since I had nowhere to stay. Everyone was booked. I finally called the Marriott (which was 350 a night). I told the manager the story- they were just as mortified as I was.... They gave me the room for under $100. NOW THAT IS SERVICE!

Honestly, if you want great service, skip the Ambassador and go straight to Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
South Bend, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Arrived around 10PM on a Friday night, greeted by friendly concierge. Room was as advertised, clean, with nice amenities. Breakfast room was quite small, but contained adequate provisions.

There is a heavy Marquette student presence in the immediate area, and some somewhat shady characters as well. Several bars and restaurants within a couple minutes walking.

Inn is within walking distance of downtown, took my wife and I about 45 minutes to reach the art museum. A complimentary shuttle is provided, and we were promptly picked up that evening after calling the front desk and being patched through to the driver. Excellent amenity, given that it was absolutely pouring rain that evening.

Not sure what the other guest's issues were with this hotel. I can honestly say that I wish it had cost a bit less, but it certainly served my needs.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay for a Lake Michigan fishing trip. It is close to and easy to get to the Marina. The hotel is old but clean and comfortable. The neighborhood is fine by day but sketchy after sunset. The staff was friendly and professional. There was a mix-up with our room rates which were booked on Booking.com. The management staff was able to correct the error. Though I would have expected the person checking us in that there was an error as the price per room/night/person was doubled. If we had not caught the error we would have paid 4x the booking price. The beds and linens were very comfortable and I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were traveling to Milwaukee for the night of July 3rd and wanted a downtown hotel room. Most of the rooms downtown were booked. The rooms that weren't booked were outside of the price range we were willing to spend (being July 4th weekend and Summer fest). I found the Ambassador Inn from an online booking site for a good price considering (no refunds). Initially, I thought it was for the Ambassador Hotel and thought, "Wow, I can't turn down the Ambassador for this price" so I booked it right away without digging further into it. After I called the hotel to confirm our booking, I quickly realized that it was actually the Ambassador Inn across the street. Bummer.

This turned out to be a nice little find. They have off street parking, a free shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius (which turns out to be quite a bit), and access to all of the amenities at the Ambassador Hotel across the street. We were allowed early check in and the front desk person was super nice and accommodating. I asked him a lot of questions about things to do, the shuttle, the room, etc. I do not remember his name however. The room was sufficient considering we only slept in it after a day and night on the town. The stairwell and hallway could use a good cleaning/and or upgrade but the room was clean and well put together. They had an in room safe that we were able to put our things in. The shuttle comes every bottom of the hour and after checking in and settling our things, we just missed it. We waited at the bar across the street with Barry the bartender for the next shuttle. He was friendly and a good conversationalist. The shuttle driver gave us some drink tickets for a bar we were headed towards. In the morning, the hotel had coffee and cold breakfast options (bagels, yogurts, etc.).

Overall, I would recommend the Ambassador Inn if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to the Hotel across the street.

Wausau, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Is hotel is dated and a little run down but I have to say the free transportation all over the city was awesome! The staff was friendly. Originally we were told parking was free and it said it in the room book of services but when we checked in they charged us $10 per night. We complained and they took away the charges. The Ambassador across the street is much nicer but the two share the shuttle so anywhere you want to go in the city they will take you and drop you off as well as pick you up you just have to call. This saved us over $50 in cab fare! The continental breakfast was very basic and 'slim pickings' if you don't get there early enough. I would probably stay there again but bargain for a better rate than what we paid.

Room Tip: Our room faced the alley.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Janesville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to Summerfest and everything else we wanted to see while we were in Milwaukee for the weekend. The room had a safe, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and hair dryer. The hotel is very old, built in the 1950's. The stairs and the elevator were a little run down but the room was clean. The bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. The staff was friendly. It is few doors down from the Rave Eagles Club, so there were a lot of college kids staying there when we were there. It got loud a few times during the night as people were returning to their rooms but I sleep with earplugs anyway so I was able to fall back asleep quickly. We had to park across the street because their parking lot was full, but they told us upon check in it might be full by the time we get back from Summerfest at 1am, so we were already prepared. The heads up on parking was helpful. Had we not known ahead of time what to expect and where to park we probably would have been annoyed at that time of the night. Cost was $10 to park and you can come and go as often as you need to. Breakfast was muffins, bagels, cold cereal, juice, yogurt, included in the price. We usually try to stay somewhere that offers something to eat whenever we travel, so the simple continental breakfast at the Inn was just fine. What made me write this review was the fact that the staff was very helpful and were quite calm when I called frantic after returning home to Janesville, realizing that I left my apple laptop in the room. (Guess I had a little too much fun at Summerfest!) I drove back to Milwaukee the next day to pick it up. It was waiting for me at the main hotel across the street (The Ambassador Hotel). I considered myself pretty lucky to have it returned. Talk about not having to worry! They were so nice on the phone and made me feel so comfortable, I did not feel the need to drive back to Milwaukee that night, I went the next morning after getting a good night's sleep. Thank You!

Room Tip: The Inn is pretty small. We stayed in room 1301, which is the first room at the top of the stairs o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!