“Comfortable, Clean, Decent Location.” 4 of 5 stars

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
South Bend, IN
“Comfortable, Clean, Decent Location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Arrived around 10PM on a Friday night, greeted by friendly concierge. Room was as advertised, clean, with nice amenities. Breakfast room was quite small, but contained adequate provisions.

There is a heavy Marquette student presence in the immediate area, and some somewhat shady characters as well. Several bars and restaurants within a couple minutes walking.

Inn is within walking distance of downtown, took my wife and I about 45 minutes to reach the art museum. A complimentary shuttle is provided, and we were promptly picked up that evening after calling the front desk and being patched through to the driver. Excellent amenity, given that it was absolutely pouring rain that evening.

Not sure what the other guest's issues were with this hotel. I can honestly say that I wish it had cost a bit less, but it certainly served my needs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay for a Lake Michigan fishing trip. It is close to and easy to get to the Marina. The hotel is old but clean and comfortable. The neighborhood is fine by day but sketchy after sunset. The staff was friendly and professional. There was a mix-up with our room rates which were booked on Booking.com. The management staff was able to correct the error. Though I would have expected the person checking us in that there was an error as the price per room/night/person was doubled. If we had not caught the error we would have paid 4x the booking price. The beds and linens were very comfortable and I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were traveling to Milwaukee for the night of July 3rd and wanted a downtown hotel room. Most of the rooms downtown were booked. The rooms that weren't booked were outside of the price range we were willing to spend (being July 4th weekend and Summer fest). I found the Ambassador Inn from an online booking site for a good price considering (no refunds). Initially, I thought it was for the Ambassador Hotel and thought, "Wow, I can't turn down the Ambassador for this price" so I booked it right away without digging further into it. After I called the hotel to confirm our booking, I quickly realized that it was actually the Ambassador Inn across the street. Bummer.

This turned out to be a nice little find. They have off street parking, a free shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius (which turns out to be quite a bit), and access to all of the amenities at the Ambassador Hotel across the street. We were allowed early check in and the front desk person was super nice and accommodating. I asked him a lot of questions about things to do, the shuttle, the room, etc. I do not remember his name however. The room was sufficient considering we only slept in it after a day and night on the town. The stairwell and hallway could use a good cleaning/and or upgrade but the room was clean and well put together. They had an in room safe that we were able to put our things in. The shuttle comes every bottom of the hour and after checking in and settling our things, we just missed it. We waited at the bar across the street with Barry the bartender for the next shuttle. He was friendly and a good conversationalist. The shuttle driver gave us some drink tickets for a bar we were headed towards. In the morning, the hotel had coffee and cold breakfast options (bagels, yogurts, etc.).

Overall, I would recommend the Ambassador Inn if you're looking for a less expensive alternative to the Hotel across the street.

Wausau, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Is hotel is dated and a little run down but I have to say the free transportation all over the city was awesome! The staff was friendly. Originally we were told parking was free and it said it in the room book of services but when we checked in they charged us $10 per night. We complained and they took away the charges. The Ambassador across the street is much nicer but the two share the shuttle so anywhere you want to go in the city they will take you and drop you off as well as pick you up you just have to call. This saved us over $50 in cab fare! The continental breakfast was very basic and 'slim pickings' if you don't get there early enough. I would probably stay there again but bargain for a better rate than what we paid.

Room Tip: Our room faced the alley.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Janesville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to Summerfest and everything else we wanted to see while we were in Milwaukee for the weekend. The room had a safe, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and hair dryer. The hotel is very old, built in the 1950's. The stairs and the elevator were a little run down but the room was clean. The bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. The staff was friendly. It is few doors down from the Rave Eagles Club, so there were a lot of college kids staying there when we were there. It got loud a few times during the night as people were returning to their rooms but I sleep with earplugs anyway so I was able to fall back asleep quickly. We had to park across the street because their parking lot was full, but they told us upon check in it might be full by the time we get back from Summerfest at 1am, so we were already prepared. The heads up on parking was helpful. Had we not known ahead of time what to expect and where to park we probably would have been annoyed at that time of the night. Cost was $10 to park and you can come and go as often as you need to. Breakfast was muffins, bagels, cold cereal, juice, yogurt, included in the price. We usually try to stay somewhere that offers something to eat whenever we travel, so the simple continental breakfast at the Inn was just fine. What made me write this review was the fact that the staff was very helpful and were quite calm when I called frantic after returning home to Janesville, realizing that I left my apple laptop in the room. (Guess I had a little too much fun at Summerfest!) I drove back to Milwaukee the next day to pick it up. It was waiting for me at the main hotel across the street (The Ambassador Hotel). I considered myself pretty lucky to have it returned. Talk about not having to worry! They were so nice on the phone and made me feel so comfortable, I did not feel the need to drive back to Milwaukee that night, I went the next morning after getting a good night's sleep. Thank You!

Room Tip: The Inn is pretty small. We stayed in room 1301, which is the first room at the top of the stairs o...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

(1) There was a towel with dried blood all over it, in the bathroom. (2) Poop caked on the toilet (3) Poopy sheets (4) Very dust room (5) Lampshades were ripped and broken (6) Drowning in one size to large lumpy sheets (7) We stayed at this hotel because it is close to Miller Park. We left our game early to watch the rest in our room. We only had local channels and didn't get the game (8) Water stains everywhere (9) Parking was $10 (10) No free wi-fi (11) The main door in the room didn't close on it's own, which is a fire hazard. In the case of a fire, wind will push open your door if it isn't clicked shut. (12) Guest service was terrible. Everyone was in a terrible mood and wasn't helpful at all. (13) The continental breakfast was dangerous. When we checked in we looked in the breakfast room and saw food out. The same food was still out the next morning. The breakfast room had only 1 table. (14) The continental breakfast didn't have any eating utensils. (15) In our room there was no overhead lighting. We had to turn on lamps to see where we were going. (16) The hotel's shuttle was 40 minutes late for our reservation. (17) Bad neighborhood. We stopped at a light (1 block from hotel) and a lady grabbed our car. She wouldn't let go and was shouting at us to roll down our windows. Many homeless.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carol Stream, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Located near the Marquette University campus, there is a surface lot at $10 per night. Room was very nice, with comfortable beds. Room was quiet. Free continental breakfast was bare bones, but OK. The night we arrived we walked across the street to the Ambassador Hotel for drinks and appetizers at their bar. (Wednesday night specials). There was a free shuttle available to take us to Summerfest. Beware that depending on how late you leave to come back to the hotel, the shuttle might not be available. Our driver had alerted us to that. We walked out of Summerfest by the mid exit, and used a cab from the taxi-stand right there. Cab ride back was $11 before tip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!