“Realized I forgot my laptop after I got back home, staff helped return it immediately” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassador Inn at Marquette

You added Ambassador Inn at Marquette to your Saves list
Ambassador Inn at Marquette
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Janesville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to Summerfest and everything else we wanted to see while we were in Milwaukee for the weekend. The room had a safe, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and hair dryer. The hotel is very old, built in the 1950's. The stairs and the elevator were a little run down but the room was clean. The bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. The staff was friendly. It is few doors down from the Rave Eagles Club, so there were a lot of college kids staying there when we were there. It got loud a few times during the night as people were returning to their rooms but I sleep with earplugs anyway so I was able to fall back asleep quickly. We had to park across the street because their parking lot was full, but they told us upon check in it might be full by the time we get back from Summerfest at 1am, so we were already prepared. The heads up on parking was helpful. Had we not known ahead of time what to expect and where to park we probably would have been annoyed at that time of the night. Cost was $10 to park and you can come and go as often as you need to. Breakfast was muffins, bagels, cold cereal, juice, yogurt, included in the price. We usually try to stay somewhere that offers something to eat whenever we travel, so the simple continental breakfast at the Inn was just fine. What made me write this review was the fact that the staff was very helpful and were quite calm when I called frantic after returning home to Janesville, realizing that I left my apple laptop in the room. (Guess I had a little too much fun at Summerfest!) I drove back to Milwaukee the next day to pick it up. It was waiting for me at the main hotel across the street (The Ambassador Hotel). I considered myself pretty lucky to have it returned. Talk about not having to worry! They were so nice on the phone and made me feel so comfortable, I did not feel the need to drive back to Milwaukee that night, I went the next morning after getting a good night's sleep. Thank You!

Room Tip: The Inn is pretty small. We stayed in room 1301, which is the first room at the top of the stairs o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

(1) There was a towel with dried blood all over it, in the bathroom. (2) Poop caked on the toilet (3) Poopy sheets (4) Very dust room (5) Lampshades were ripped and broken (6) Drowning in one size to large lumpy sheets (7) We stayed at this hotel because it is close to Miller Park. We left our game early to watch the rest in our room. We only had local channels and didn't get the game (8) Water stains everywhere (9) Parking was $10 (10) No free wi-fi (11) The main door in the room didn't close on it's own, which is a fire hazard. In the case of a fire, wind will push open your door if it isn't clicked shut. (12) Guest service was terrible. Everyone was in a terrible mood and wasn't helpful at all. (13) The continental breakfast was dangerous. When we checked in we looked in the breakfast room and saw food out. The same food was still out the next morning. The breakfast room had only 1 table. (14) The continental breakfast didn't have any eating utensils. (15) In our room there was no overhead lighting. We had to turn on lamps to see where we were going. (16) The hotel's shuttle was 40 minutes late for our reservation. (17) Bad neighborhood. We stopped at a light (1 block from hotel) and a lady grabbed our car. She wouldn't let go and was shouting at us to roll down our windows. Many homeless.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carol Stream, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Located near the Marquette University campus, there is a surface lot at $10 per night. Room was very nice, with comfortable beds. Room was quiet. Free continental breakfast was bare bones, but OK. The night we arrived we walked across the street to the Ambassador Hotel for drinks and appetizers at their bar. (Wednesday night specials). There was a free shuttle available to take us to Summerfest. Beware that depending on how late you leave to come back to the hotel, the shuttle might not be available. Our driver had alerted us to that. We walked out of Summerfest by the mid exit, and used a cab from the taxi-stand right there. Cab ride back was $11 before tip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

On our stay at the Ambassador Inn we received wonderful services. Whether chatting with the well fitted security guard Dustin, or traveling with the knowledgeable shuttle driver Dan, we were happy with the services. This, in my opinion, is an important factor in choosing a hotel. The neighborhood overall was not bad and safety was obviously not a concern. There were only a few issue, which included the refrigerator not functioning, and the television as well. However, a different used refrigerator was brought to our room and Dustin kindly fixed out TV. The hotel may not be directly downtown, but the shuttle van is readily available for the majority of the day. We would definately stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

For the price the Inn was just what we needed. We only stayed for a night, but the front desk clerk was wonderful & extremely helpful. The beds/pillows were comfy & room was clean. There's a $10 fee per night to park in their parking lot. Our room was next to the elevators, the only hallway traffic noise we heard was around midnight and it was brief. We drove for the most part, but there's a caravan that will take you downtown.

Great for a weekend stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

There's not one thing that made this place a pretty awful stay, but rather several seemingly small flaws that added up to a really disappointing night.

1) We booked this on Priceline, where it was listed as "downtown." While the location isn't awful, and does have services nearby, it certainly is *not* downtown. It took us around 30 minutes to walk to actual downtown.

2) Rooms are decent and the beds are comfy, but it all has a musty smell to it.

3) The Sunday morning front desk clerk was fine... but I can't say the same for the fellow running the desk on Saturday afternoon/evening. He was somehow overwhelmed by getting a phone call at the same time as he was checking us in (a stay we had already paid for in full, so there was nothing complicated about it), and got all flustered on the phone, saying how he was "soooo busy" right now, despite the fact that we were the only guests anywhere in sight. Apparently so busy that he forgot a basic "you're welcome" or "have a nice stay" when we said "thank you", or to tell us several important things... including that we were getting charged $10 for parking, which is always a pleasant surprise the next morning

4) No vending machines. Again, not a big thing by itself, but when I head out of my room at night in my PJs, I expect that it won't be impossible to get a bottle of water. I don't expect to need to go a block away to do so... especially in the midst of the drunken free for all from the club nearby.

5) But the big thing was the other guests. We later found out that the Ambassador Inn is apparently the party hotel... and if we don't want to be woken up 5 times during the night, we should have booked across the street at the Ambassador Hotel. How out of town guests are supposed to know this, I don't know, but the staff actually told two other women on our floor this.

Anyways, the walls are paper thin, and we were put on a floor with screaming, pot smoking, drunken party animals. They were literally drinking in the hallway across from our door-- there was a half empty bottle of rum there when we left in the morning. They woke up up countless times between 11:30pm and 3am, with other guests telling me that they call the front desk many times, with no effect. I finally called at 3am when there was a girl screaming at the top of her lungs outside of our door because she was fighting with her boyfriend. It was only then that someone came up to try to get things under control. It should NOT take hours of people drinking in the hallway for the staff to take action... and we should not be told that if we don't like it, we should have known to stay across the street. It seems to me that the impetus should be on the hotel to have decent security or even to call the police when kids are smoking pot in their "non-smoking" rooms.

Room Tip: My tip- stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Husband an I stayed one night over a weekend for my best friends surprise 50th bday party.
We found the hotel to be charming, clean, friendly staff, great Sunday brunch of unique "tapas style" foods. Neighborhood is being gentrified ( use common sense), Pabst Mansion is 2 blocks away-great tour and lovely to see, Catholic Church of Gesu is a few blocks further down on Marquette's campus -great mass and beautiful stained glass windows. Overall, don't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!