“Wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Mankato, Minnesota
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I traveled from Minnesota to see a concert at the Rave with a couple friends. We stayed 11/15. As an employee at a hotel myself, I checked the reviews after making the reservation and was a little nervous to stay. After staying I have to say the reviews were nothing like what I experienced!! Rory was excellent at check-in. Very friendly and helpful in finding us a place to get a quick bite to eat before the show. I thought the room was very clean and offered all of the basic necessities. It was a little difficult to find the lights though. We ate at the lounge across the street and the food was a little expensive but if you go at happy hour the apps. are 50% off which was nice. We had no problems getting sleep and we all found the beds to be comfortable. Breakfast selection was slim but was perfect for us as we needed to eat it on the go. As far as the location, I didn't find it to be unsafe at all. As three 22 year old females, we did not once feel unsafe walking around the area. Overall, we had a wonderful stay with no issues. If I am ever back in the area I will definitely consider staying here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

West Bend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed at the Ambassador Inn this weekend in order to experience the Women's Flat Track Roller Derby championship bouts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The hotel had fabulous customer service, it was clean, quiet and comfortable. It seem to take me back to the roaring 20's with décor, photos and music. A very nice change of pace.

Prices in the lounge and restaurant were appropriate and quality higher than expected.

The only inconvenience was the very slow elevator service. I believe it was the very first that Mr. Otis installed in Milwaukee.

I'll be back to enjoy Downtown Milwaukee and the fine dining at the Envoy restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm here now and cannot wait to go home. The only good thing about this place is the free internet, nice ppl working the front desk, and free shuttle. The housekeeping service is subpar to say the least, sheets have stains, walls are thin, elevator stinks, cable TV constantly freezes to point I can't even watch it, and when I flush the toilet, it sounds like a door is slamming.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, I was quite a bit apprehensive about staying here. Well, I went through with it and was glad. I would even go back.

How I found the reviews wrong:

1.) The area. It is not that bad. I was expecting much worse. Me and my father walked around the area just fine and were even out past 2:00 a few nights and not worried. If you walk about 2 blocks west of the hotel, it is a bit seedy. It's Milwaukee. Walk to the east of the hotel towards Marquette and it is a very nice walk. We did it several times.

2.) The hotel shuttle. Sure, sure, I'm sure the manager will come on here and reply to my message giving some reason or excuse as he has done each and every other time but... if you are going to pride yourself on the shuttle - you better deserve it. The shuttles are basically two converted airport shuttle type vans. Yes, they leave at 30 minutes after each hour. So leaving is not a problem. Be aware, they did leave early both times we used it. Only 5 minutes and they were full - but they left before the 30 minute time. We caught it both times, no problem. We had to stand once. Took it to Miller Park. Well, we missed the shuttle after the game both times and ended up waiting about an hour the first night and another 30 minutes the second night. The first night, the driver said he'd be leaving Miller Park 30 minutes after the final out, well we were waiting 20 minutes after and he was nowhere to be found. Finally had to call to get another shuttle. The second day, we thought better and went out right after the game. The driver was nowhere to be found and we had to call. There were a lot of other people there besides us as well. Third case - we wanted to go to the casino. Talked to the front desk and booked the 5:30. Went out there 5:15 and they told us a wedding party took precedent. Well, we weren't the only ones squeezed off so they decided to bring us there in a van. No complaint with this. I would give the shuttle a subpar service rating. It is free (besides a tip) though.

Beyond those two points, everything was as expected. Parking was good ($10 across the road), Rooms needed a good renovation but were clean enough, wifi was good, TV was nice, beds were comfy. Didn't even bother with breakfast. Went across the road to Michels Restaurant, definitely recommend this place!

Don't read too much into the reviews, and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kearnsisawesome
Braintree, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not the nicest place to stay, the rooms were ok, but the public areas need some real attention. Also the staircase is probably about a year away from collapsing. The shuttle, bar and restaurant at the Ambassador Hotel (across the street) were great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SEG89
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Inn at Marquette, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
The public areas of the hotel were renovated in 2011-2012, including new furnishings and artwork. The staircase reference in this review is completely false. The spiral staircase is a focal point of the hotel and receives many compliments from our guests as a unique feature of the property. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the shuttle service, our most popular amenity with our guests, providing a convenient way to see the sights of Milwaukee.
Izatys Townhouse
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Myself, wife kids & dog came to town for Paul McCartney. We have a thing for old Art Deco buildings. This one was looking great. They charged an extra $50 for dog, but happy to bring her. Then they put us across the street in a place that smelled of ciggy smoke, no A/C in stair case. This building had a 'looks like it was single room occupancy look to it'. Ugly slug square three story former office building maybe? I do not know. Website, booking staff, desk staff left you with impression that you were going to stay at an old classic. WRONG! Lets talk Parking Three short nightmares, I will treat you to one. Pay $10 to park in a lost across street from dumptel. Go to unload (no unload zone on busy city commercial one way street) then drive very short distance to assigned and paid for parking lot. It's full, and very very hard to turn around in. Go back across street and pull into ramp. Not close but it was upstairs in a not so safe part of town. Next morning, they charge you $20 for ramp park. Tried to keep me on the hook for the previous $10. Price for all of this $350 one night. If they send you across the street - we advise the following. Go outside, call other places, book room. Go back in demand full refund and use term "Bait and Switch". They will back off at a 100 mph. Then get confirmation of cost free cancelation in writing. Go outside call your ccard company and confirm that no charges have been made. Wish we could have seen the Ambassador Inn. But they bait and switched us to the dumptel across the street.

Room Tip: Do not stay in dumptel across the street. Ciggy smoke!!! No working lights on elevator panel or but...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ELarson559
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Inn at Marquette, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We have not received a complaint directly from the guest regarding this situation. We generally take these complaints seriously and would have been happy to resolve the situation with the guest during their stay. Please contact the hotel's General Manager directly, as we would still like to make this right.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I Actually did not stay at this hotel but was charged for a night ($167.00). With that being said, I think I can give a review of the service I experienced.
When calling to cancel, I did NOT receive a cancellation number which I thought was odd, so I asked how will they know I cancelled, the clerk said cuz I just cancelled it. I then said, I do not want to be charged. She snickered and said you won't be charged. Almost the end of the story...
Booking.com gets in touch with me to review this hotel. I reply that I never stayed and cancelled thru the hotel direct (Big mistake!) weeks ago.
Since, I see a charge on my account, so I emailed the hotel and the "manager" promptly gave me a call.
All that to say, our conversation left a very sour taste in my mouth...not even an "i am sorry".
I am in the process of getting a phone record but that will prove only that I called, after making another reservation, not that I cancelled. :(
Truly disappointed. We visit Milwaukee almost every year for the past 25. It one of my favorite places. So please visit Milwaukee but
Based on the lack of empathy (not a refund), stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fitz49525
As is customary in the industry, guests will receive a confirmation number verbally at time of cancellation. In addition, e-mail cancellations are sent immediately (if e-mail given) confirming a cancellation and stipulating the cancellation number given at time of cancellation. We do not have a current direct complaint from this guest, as we would have been more than willing to work with the guest to research the cancellation request with the guest directly.