“A great surprize ....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
West Bend, Wisconsin
“A great surprize ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed at the Ambassador Inn this weekend in order to experience the Women's Flat Track Roller Derby championship bouts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The hotel had fabulous customer service, it was clean, quiet and comfortable. It seem to take me back to the roaring 20's with décor, photos and music. A very nice change of pace.

Prices in the lounge and restaurant were appropriate and quality higher than expected.

The only inconvenience was the very slow elevator service. I believe it was the very first that Mr. Otis installed in Milwaukee.

I'll be back to enjoy Downtown Milwaukee and the fine dining at the Envoy restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I'm here now and cannot wait to go home. The only good thing about this place is the free internet, nice ppl working the front desk, and free shuttle. The housekeeping service is subpar to say the least, sheets have stains, walls are thin, elevator stinks, cable TV constantly freezes to point I can't even watch it, and when I flush the toilet, it sounds like a door is slamming.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, I was quite a bit apprehensive about staying here. Well, I went through with it and was glad. I would even go back.

How I found the reviews wrong:

1.) The area. It is not that bad. I was expecting much worse. Me and my father walked around the area just fine and were even out past 2:00 a few nights and not worried. If you walk about 2 blocks west of the hotel, it is a bit seedy. It's Milwaukee. Walk to the east of the hotel towards Marquette and it is a very nice walk. We did it several times.

2.) The hotel shuttle. Sure, sure, I'm sure the manager will come on here and reply to my message giving some reason or excuse as he has done each and every other time but... if you are going to pride yourself on the shuttle - you better deserve it. The shuttles are basically two converted airport shuttle type vans. Yes, they leave at 30 minutes after each hour. So leaving is not a problem. Be aware, they did leave early both times we used it. Only 5 minutes and they were full - but they left before the 30 minute time. We caught it both times, no problem. We had to stand once. Took it to Miller Park. Well, we missed the shuttle after the game both times and ended up waiting about an hour the first night and another 30 minutes the second night. The first night, the driver said he'd be leaving Miller Park 30 minutes after the final out, well we were waiting 20 minutes after and he was nowhere to be found. Finally had to call to get another shuttle. The second day, we thought better and went out right after the game. The driver was nowhere to be found and we had to call. There were a lot of other people there besides us as well. Third case - we wanted to go to the casino. Talked to the front desk and booked the 5:30. Went out there 5:15 and they told us a wedding party took precedent. Well, we weren't the only ones squeezed off so they decided to bring us there in a van. No complaint with this. I would give the shuttle a subpar service rating. It is free (besides a tip) though.

Beyond those two points, everything was as expected. Parking was good ($10 across the road), Rooms needed a good renovation but were clean enough, wifi was good, TV was nice, beds were comfy. Didn't even bother with breakfast. Went across the road to Michels Restaurant, definitely recommend this place!

Don't read too much into the reviews, and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Braintree, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not the nicest place to stay, the rooms were ok, but the public areas need some real attention. Also the staircase is probably about a year away from collapsing. The shuttle, bar and restaurant at the Ambassador Hotel (across the street) were great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Inn at Marquette, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
The public areas of the hotel were renovated in 2011-2012, including new furnishings and artwork. The staircase reference in this review is completely false. The spiral staircase is a focal point of the hotel and receives many compliments from our guests as a unique feature of the property. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the shuttle service, our most popular amenity with our guests, providing a convenient way to see the sights of Milwaukee.
Izatys Townhouse
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Myself, wife kids & dog came to town for Paul McCartney. We have a thing for old Art Deco buildings. This one was looking great. They charged an extra $50 for dog, but happy to bring her. Then they put us across the street in a place that smelled of ciggy smoke, no A/C in stair case. This building had a 'looks like it was single room occupancy look to it'. Ugly slug square three story former office building maybe? I do not know. Website, booking staff, desk staff left you with impression that you were going to stay at an old classic. WRONG! Lets talk Parking Three short nightmares, I will treat you to one. Pay $10 to park in a lost across street from dumptel. Go to unload (no unload zone on busy city commercial one way street) then drive very short distance to assigned and paid for parking lot. It's full, and very very hard to turn around in. Go back across street and pull into ramp. Not close but it was upstairs in a not so safe part of town. Next morning, they charge you $20 for ramp park. Tried to keep me on the hook for the previous $10. Price for all of this $350 one night. If they send you across the street - we advise the following. Go outside, call other places, book room. Go back in demand full refund and use term "Bait and Switch". They will back off at a 100 mph. Then get confirmation of cost free cancelation in writing. Go outside call your ccard company and confirm that no charges have been made. Wish we could have seen the Ambassador Inn. But they bait and switched us to the dumptel across the street.

Room Tip: Do not stay in dumptel across the street. Ciggy smoke!!! No working lights on elevator panel or but...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Inn at Marquette, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We have not received a complaint directly from the guest regarding this situation. We generally take these complaints seriously and would have been happy to resolve the situation with the guest during their stay. Please contact the hotel's General Manager directly, as we would still like to make this right.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I Actually did not stay at this hotel but was charged for a night ($167.00). With that being said, I think I can give a review of the service I experienced.
When calling to cancel, I did NOT receive a cancellation number which I thought was odd, so I asked how will they know I cancelled, the clerk said cuz I just cancelled it. I then said, I do not want to be charged. She snickered and said you won't be charged. Almost the end of the story...
Booking.com gets in touch with me to review this hotel. I reply that I never stayed and cancelled thru the hotel direct (Big mistake!) weeks ago.
Since, I see a charge on my account, so I emailed the hotel and the "manager" promptly gave me a call.
All that to say, our conversation left a very sour taste in my mouth...not even an "i am sorry".
I am in the process of getting a phone record but that will prove only that I called, after making another reservation, not that I cancelled. :(
Truly disappointed. We visit Milwaukee almost every year for the past 25. It one of my favorite places. So please visit Milwaukee but
Based on the lack of empathy (not a refund), stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
As is customary in the industry, guests will receive a confirmation number verbally at time of cancellation. In addition, e-mail cancellations are sent immediately (if e-mail given) confirming a cancellation and stipulating the cancellation number given at time of cancellation. We do not have a current direct complaint from this guest, as we would have been more than willing to work with the guest to research the cancellation request with the guest directly.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel has lots of charm but be careful when booking your room. We thought we were at the Ambassador Inn but we were booked at the Ambassador Inn - Marquette, which is across the street and a much lower quality hotel. The beds were smaller than advertised and there was a dirty tissue in the corner of the bedroom area that was not ours. There was only 1 trash can, located in the main area and parking was an extra $10 fee. However, the parking lot was safe and clean, and the area is heavily patrolled by police so there wasn't a worry about car theft or damage. The shuttle to and from Summerfest was absolutely awesome and the drivers were wonderful - do not forget to tip them for their incredible customer service! :-) They completed and complimented the hotel experience for us.

Room Tip: No rooms have balconies but the workout facility was very nice and had cold, bottled water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Ambassador Inn. The Ambassador Inn and the Ambassador Inn at Marquette are the same property. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in provding the cleanest rooms in Milwaukee. We would never want any of our guests to receive a room that is not complete and ready to be occupied. Our shuttle service is a very popular amenity of the Ambassador Inn and Thank you for your kind remarks towards our shuttle staff. We are sharing them with the staff. Thank you again for choosing the Ambassador Inn and we look forward to your return.

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!