“Not that bad at all for a short stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2301 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53233   |
Ranked #45 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Marathon, Canada
“Not that bad at all for a short stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night with husband. Room was fine but a bit dark. We were across from a public door so heard it opening and closing a lot in the morning. Paid US $130 (a bit expensive for this hotel).

Had free shuttle bus to and from the stadium, so that was a plus. Free parking was across the side street.

Had big towels so you were able to wrap them around you, another plus.

There was not a lot of channels to choose from on the TV-alot of crappy American shows . Batteries in the remote control were dead. Had to go down to front desk to get new ones.

The elevator was dark and stale smelling.

Bathroom door was dirty and had paint peeling off it. It needs to be updated.

In conclusion: would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel is what you think it is. Its an older place in a less-glamourous part of the city. Its not bad at all though. The interior and public spaces have seen much better days, but the room itself was quite good except for the desk chair. The beds were a tad soft, but comfy. Good linens and pillows. The desk chair was comfortable for sitting, but not for using a computer for extended periods or any other work at the desk.

Getting to and from the hotel was easy due to a close off ramp from the freeway. Harley-Davidson and Miller factories and offices are nearby. They have a free shuttle downtown though I didnt use it. And free covered and/or uncovered parking. Taco Bell is just across the street (huge plus for me).

Its reasonably affordable, clean enough, and probably central enough for most travellers. There is a concert hall just down the street which can make the area noisy after the show lets out, etc., but the night I was there is was perfectly quiet. Ask for a room further back in the hotel to avoid the noise from Wisconsin Ave.

Check-in staff was friendly and knowledgable. Morning guy seemed ambivalent about being there so a lack of consistency across the service levels. Breakfast was very minimal and a small room. I didnt partake. My room had a microwave and a small fridge, so good for a few things.

Room Tip: Staying further back in the hotel will minimize street noise from Wisconsin Ave. May want to inquir...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We visited milwakee from March 29-31st and stayed in Ambassador Inn on 29th. We stayed only for a day and had to a checkout because my family never felt safe in the hotel.There was loud music being played and a party going in our adjacent room.We complained to the person at reception so that we can be given a different room.But the hotel refused.We had to take a different hotel(residence Inn) which was wonderful.

The breakfast this hotel was terrible.This is not a family friendly place at all.Please do not visit if you have small children.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sussex, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Great service friendly staff bar staff entertaining and helpful shuttle service around Milwaukee which was a bonus cheap and friendly driver well worth it would recommend it anytime. Great cocktail night too

• Stayed December 2012
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were allowed early check-in. The staff was very friendly and there was someone at the reservation desk at all times. Our room was very spacious and very clean. The hotel was very quiet. We stayed here because we were attending a concert at the Rave which is about a 1/2 block away. Parking is free and across the street. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked two rooms here for New Years Eve with plans to go to The Rave for their Stellar Spark show. In regards to the location of this venue, ABSOLUTELY perfect. The Rave is a stones throw away from The Rave, which is great for an evening where you don't intend to bring your coat and/or pay for a cab. They do offer a shuttle service, however, I did not need to use it as their location.

I requested rooms away from the elevator and extra towels, and one other request that I'll mention in a bit. I called several times to verify small details such as the free parking, that my rooms were near each other and away from the elevator. The respect and service I was being given over the phone was delightful, I was expecting to have a wonderful stay at this establishment.

My last request was not met and quite frankly, completely ignored. I stated that due to the fact that the location was so close to the venue, that I would have a few friends leaving small bags, coats, and things of the sort in one of my two rooms so that they could freshen up and have a 'home base' rather than having to get directly into the car after 6-8 hours of music, drinking, and what have you. These guests hadn't intended on staying, as stated in the special requests that I made at the time of the reservation and confirmed with more than one phone call. The attendants at the front desks were EXCELLENT when I arrived and the staff was more than accommodating. They provided me with EIGHT parking passes to take care of all of the random vehicles that managed to get my group of fourteen people to Milwaukee under my two rooms with no questions asked. The kind gentlemen at the front desk even asked about how we were planning on celebrating NYE and saw me usher individuals up to my rooms all evening up until the event. Heck, we even left together as an entire group, and kindly said have a nice evening and tried to be courteous to the staff.

Upon our return, the staff had changed and things took a turn for the worst. Two women, one who should have been greeting us at the door and the front desk attendant were lounging around in the lobby hitting it off until they saw our group return. The attendant in charge of the door sprung up, all of a sudden asking for identification and proof that we were all staying in rooms at the Inn. I attempted to explain to her that I understood people couldn't stay in her place for free or party in the rooms and that we had planned to give these individuals an opportunity to leave their belongings in our room for the time being. Without any hesitation I was sent to the front desk and complied. In the meantime the not-so-kind lady at the front door made an attempt to kick my party out of the building back into the freezing cold while their coats were JUST UPSTAIRS! Not to mention this was between 2:00 - 3:00 AM, with nowhere else to turn in the meantime. Addressing the front desk attendant, I was treated even worse than I was when I first entered the Inn. She had an awful tone, immediately started to rant and rave about the fact that I was trying to 'party' while she wouldn't even look at my reservation to read the requests that stated why these individuals were coming upstairs with me. When I asked her to check my reservation to affirm that this statement was indeed valid, that these individuals were given passes from staff earlier, and tried to be as civil as possible. Instead, I was interrupted with a finger being put in my face with a loud 'excuse me' and the usher then decided to send my entire group into the small lobby to make the scenario more tense than it already was.

Before you could bat an eye security guards and upper management from ACROSS THE STREET came to take care of us, because the woman at the front desk was either not intelligent enough to have a conversation or is brand new to the hospitality business. Surrounded by security guards I finally got the manager to merely check my reservation. He took my word, read the reservation, and IMMEDIATELY allowed my party to go on our way after half of an hour of time wasted in their lobby.

After a wonderful evening down the street, the night and mood was ruined. Everyone felt as though they had to leave immediately and few were under the impression they would be dragged out if they didn't get their things together quickly enough. Had the service been better and I had been addressed properly, the half hour wasted in the lobby would have been sufficient for everyone to freshen up for a car ride home and grab their things so I could finally get some shut eye! Instead, I had to jump through hoops so that I could make it upstairs.

Oh, and not to mention, they never checked up on us. People were indeed partying on my floor that night; beer cans in the halls, loud music as well. Someone had a seizure outside of the Inn, but I guess the ignorant staff felt that they hadn't been misusing their rooms upstairs, partying and whatnot, and never checked on them. They were understaffed as I had mentioned, the ice machine was not working, as other reviews mention the place is very unclean. They had several locked doors, but they left them cracked open for some reason. I took the liberty of getting my own fresh, extra towels because that wasn't provided as I had asked for, either. There was even a maid on her cell phone cussing in the hallway while she was working when I was checking out, too. Just a little reminder that they 'keep it classy' at the Ambassador Inn, I guess.

All of this could have been avoided had they mentioned their policy of not allowing people to come upstairs in the first place or if they had a kind staff twenty four hours a day, rather than putting the unsociable, rude employees to work at night.

Avoid this place at all cost, the Ambassador Hotel across the street is much nicer, more cleanly, and better staffed. However, I will make an effort to avoid this place at all costs and I would suggest that you do the same.

I've never been motivated to bash someone or a business for how I've been treated, but this place mustered up enough frustration for me to start an account and hopefully find some better places to stay in the future!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Inn at Marquette, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
This is the first time we have ever received a complaint regarding this procedure. For the past several years we have implemented enhanced security procedures for New Years Eve. The enhanced security measures have been well received from our guests, as they ensure an enjoyable evening for all of our guests.

We do require all guests to be registered to a guest room to ensure the safety of our guests. Wisconsin fire codes allow for only 4 people to occupy a guest room. Allowing 14 people into the hotel that are not registered to a guest room would create a security concern. Next time your travels bring you to Milwaukee, please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you.

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!